“Worse than student accomodation” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Grand Hotel Scarborough

Grand Hotel Scarborough
Ranked #28 of 28 Hotels in Scarborough
Peterborough, United Kingdom
“Worse than student accomodation”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 June 2014

I didn't pay a fortune to stay at Grand Hotel Scarborough but was so shocked by the condition this once prestigious hotel was now in I just wanted to get out as soon as possible.
I've toured plenty of student halls with family and have yet to come across any as poorly maintained as our room and the surrounding public areas of the Grand Hotel.
The room was so small one could barely walk down one side of the double bed let alone both sides of it and paint was chipped off all the pipework which was left visible. There were so many stickers randomly stuck on the walls saying things like 'caution slippery when wet on the tiles above the sink and 'please ensure shower curtain is inside the bath' when we only had a tiny shower it was laughable. However, there was also an A4 laminated sign telling guests what to do if they have diarrhoea including calling the management and what to do with any soiled bedding I wondered what sort of establishment we were in!

The coffee provided was of terrible cheap quality and not palatable and there were only 2 tea and coffee and milk portions anyway and only 1 set of towels for a double room. There was no biscuits and the bathroom was very dirty and is desperate need of replacement.

I can only warn others to steer well clear and not suffer the awful conditions no matter how desperate you are for accommodation. This is far and away the worst hotel I have ever stayed in.

Room Tip: stay well away
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Clare F
Grand724, Manager at Grand Hotel Scarborough, responded to this review, 30 June 2014

I can read from your review not all areas were to your expectations.

In relation to the notice regarding Noro-virus you may have seen in the media a number of outbreaks around the uk in hospitals, the letter is for educational purposes, to educate you, our guests, we have found this 100% successful in preventing any outbreak, there has been no recent outbrake within the hotel.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,116)
  • Polish first
Sunderland, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 June 2014 via mobile

Thank goodness we only had one night here!
Check in... queue about 8-10 long. Felt quite sorry for the receptionists was chaos.
Followed very rushed directions to room... room a broom cupboard at the top of the hotel. But they had managed to get a double bed, wardrobe, 2 bedside cabinets, table, tv, tea and coffee facilities but no place to leave bags, suitcase etc. The table had an enormous tv on it that wasn't attached to an aerial. There was no space to put any toiletries in the room. The bed was ok. The sea view... a window about 18 inches square that hadn't been cleaned inside or outside for years!.
The bathroom was alright, no complaints really, noisy toilet but soon settled.
Breakfast. ... check out was 10am last sitting breakfast 10am. Tell me how do you have lazy morning when away for night and get breakfast and out for 10. The queue was a mile long, we decided to turn round an head off for a civilised breakfast elsewhere.
Thank goodness we only had one night booked. They really need some work to sort it out. Such a shame for a grand building...correct use of the word!

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Tunisiamad

I can read from your review not all areas were to your expectations.

Due to the age and nature of the hotel all our rooms vary in shape size and design due to the nature of Trip advisor I cannot investigated this matter without full information, I would encourage you to contact us direct so we can discuss your feedback further.

Travellers are raving about these Scarborough hotels

Nottingham, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 June 2014

The only thing Grand about the Grand Scarborough is the name. We have stayed in many hotels some budget and had positive pleasant experiences.I don't ex'pect I called the hotel prior to making a reservation to check out if the hotel was accessible as my mum is a wheelchair user, I and was reassured that the hotel could accommodate her needs.We arrived myself, husband , sister and mum, to find full payment hadn't been taken.We eventually checked in, given directions by the receptionist to our rooms, that were less than informative. I had to queue for 10 minutes to have the directions clarified and explained further. Both rooms were totally unacceptable, cold dirty and extremely cramped restricted movement to the point my mum bruised her leg. there was no space for her wheel chair.I was unaware of the standard of my mums room at this point, I viewed my room and the dirty walls and splashes of some kind of liquid on the walls urged me to go immediately to reception and request a room change. the room was changed to another room that had a filthy bathroom. My sister also went to reception and made a complaint and was told that there were no rooms available the receptionist suggested I swap my room to the dirty room where the bed linen and towels had not been changed. We asked for a refund with the intention of finding alternative accommodation, this was refused due to the action to clean the room. We done a web search in the hope of finding local accommodation with no success. my sister requested a heater as the room was cold, response was - we can give you some blankets. on return form our evening meal, my sister slipped on the entrance steps on some left over take away food. We returned to our rooms - my mums room was not cleaned and the dirty bedding and towels remained! The breakfast was awful, deep fried sausage!!! bacon rashes stuck together dirty tables, splashes of food and drinks on the chairs. staff running around shouting over to each other dropping cutlery. removed our plates without checking out if we had finished, although we didn't really start- toast it was!! The hotel refunded half of the cost which i believe is under compensating. The experience was more like staying in a hostel/shelter. One of the stair wells had a soaking carpet with mildew on the carpet and walls- should have been closed surely a health & safety risk ? Never again!!!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank lindastewart1

I can read from your review not all areas were to your expectations.

Cleanliness is key to our product due to the nature of Trip advisor I cannot investigated this matter without full information, I would encourage you to contact us direct so we can discuss your feedback further.
South Shields, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 June 2014

Seeing is believing.

I have travelled all over the world on business and never been privileged to such an experience.

4 hours after checking in and viewing 5 rooms later the Duty Manager (whom needs to attend a customer services course) agreed to giving me a refund at 8pm on a Saturday evening.

The only two words I can use is VERY UPSETTING.

Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Shaz_pearson
Grand724, Manager at Grand Hotel Scarborough, responded to this review, 2 July 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your comments during your recent visit to us. We will use your feedback to improve the hotel.

Stafford, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 June 2014

The poor old grand is falling into disrepair. We had premier accommodation. We always do when we stay there or at it's sister hotel in Llandudno. Good points? The receptionist I spoke to was lovely and arranged a step for me to help get in and out of the shower/jacuzzi bath as I have mobility issues ( this was explained when we booked though so the booking line didn't listen)Most of the staff are friendly and deserve a medal for fending off complaints! The girls in the premier restaurant are pleasant ( the miserable, grumpy,rude one has gone now) and work extremely hard BUT the room did have cleanliness/cross infection issues and they allow too many people to upgrade to premier for their meals so it's now on a 3 sittings basis. We stayed in a room on 3rd floor with beautiful sea views. The bed was reasonably comfy.They replaced the hairdryer that didn't work - BUT I had to report it didn't work :-( The other bad points? They still have that awful coffee! I reported a cleanliness issue on the ceiling of the bathroom which wasn't cleaned throughout 5 days of our stay. The carpet in the room (this was premier remember) was threadbare in places. In the restaurant tea was served to your table but not coffee at breakfast (so I don't know if it had improved in there from last time! I drank water most of the time) and no-one asked if you would like to order a drink with your evening meal as we have had in the past. Lightbulbs in the beautiful chandeliers around the hotel were often not working. The TVs in bedrooms are really old and the reception is not always good. Some of the towels they used need binning as they were so frayed around the edges.A huge pile of wooden pallets were outside - fire risk - and the external building needs some major maintenance. The windows are filthy - even on the ground floor. It proudly states in the brochure that they leave in the room "If you haven't stayed with us for some time you may notice a difference as we've given them a Grand Brittania facelift! We have spent millions of pounds refurbishing these hotels and you will find new ballrooms and bars, refurbished restaurants and stylish new bedrooms all for your comfort!" Well if that's had a facelift I wouldn't recommend the surgeon. Seems as long as they get the coach parties which they get by the dozen, the company doesn't care. Maybe they will start and listen with all these reviews on here????

Room Tip: I have never been without a window - maybe because it's always premier I pay for?
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Coffeeholicshell

I can read from your review not all areas were to your expectations.

Our product has leaped forward over the last few years with extensive investment across our hotel.

Kendal, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 June 2014 via mobile

Just returned from a 5 night break at the Grand just a pity the name doesnt reflect the hotel standards. The food was disgusting especially at breakfast. Never had a hot cup of tea during my stay the water was always luke warm. Even freshly delivered pots of hot water were still luke warm. Just wondered if the hot water came from a hot tap instead of being boiled!!! Requests for fresh hot water were ignored by staff. Customer service was well below par and staff were unhelpful. In particular young foreign girl at reception and restaurant staff seem to relish being unhelpful. The gentleman checking guests into the restaurant went out of his way to critisize previous guests who he had checked in. Pretty disturbing! My other complaints are well documented in other reviews by previous guests. My advice is avoid at all costs.

Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank alan71545

Manchester, England, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 June 2014

just returned from this hotel thankfully, went with a open view after reading all negative reviews ,got our keys and was sent to a room 2 floors down from ground level got in basic but ok but no windows and the outside corridors stunk of musty damp really bad we felt like we were in steerage on the titanic,!! we asked for a room near the lifts our room was nowhere near the lift and was up and down varius steps we had stated that we both had mobility problems but this was ignored we asked for ashower which we got one that was over the bath but the bath was so high we could not get over it to take a shower so ended up just having a wash ,the lack of natural light was horrible as you couldn't tell if it was day or night and had to go up to ground level to look what the weather was like. the food was inedible the bacon was hard and really fatty the sausages were burnt to a cinder and had a horrible taste ,as for dinner I think they must have killed a pig when we were there as we had pork on Monday,pork with spices Tuesday,gammon on wed,thursday we eat out as was sick of tinned potatoes green beans and carrots all week ! I went with a open mind but would advice everyone not to bother ,!!!!

Room Tip: none don't bother going,!
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank leather27

I can read from your review not all areas were to your expectations.

Our menu has 4 different dishes daily, our Premier restaurant has 5 dishes daily this has been the norm for a number of years.

We try our upmost to grant requests, however we would recommend booking a higher grade bedroom if you did not wish one of our City Bedrooms.