“Like been kept prisoner”

Grand Hotel Scarborough
Ranked #26 of 26 Hotels in Scarborough
Reviewed 20 July 2014

I would never ever stay at this hotel again!!!! Arrived on Saturday to first find there was no where to park to unload the car, then when we finally got parked on the main road about a 5 minute walk away, we got to reception to find the queue was huge and there was one person on the desk the other staff were stood talking around the back! After waiting a good 10 mins to get our key to what I can only describe as a dungeon room, it was the worst room I have ever seen! It was like a maze to find the room, there we're cages of dirty rubbish all down the corridor which have off an awful smell you literally had to hold you nose walking down, are room was right next door to the kitchen so it smelt disgusting! We went up to reception to be told there was no more rooms to move too! So as we went back to unpack and get ready we found there was no electric in the room so we couldn't use the plugs etc.... Another trip back up to reception to be told that someone would come to fix it! After around 20 mins we finally had electric to get ready! The bathroom could only fit one person in as it was that small! It was so claustrophobic! Next morning all we could hear was things banging it the kitchen and a dirty eggy smell coming threw the door, which woke us up! the best part about the stay was handing the key back to come home! I will never return! It's a disgrace how they even charge £85 for a room down in what I can only describe as pure torture! I wouldn't even stay here if someone paid me to!!!

• Stayed: July 2014
4  Thank Frannyrhinos
Grand724, Manager at Grand Hotel Scarborough, responded to this reviewResponded 21 July 2014

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your comments during your recent visit to us, we will use your feedback to improve the hotel.

I can read from your review not all areas were to your expectations.

I would encourage you to contact us direct so we can discuss your feedback further.

Reviewed 20 July 2014

After swapping bedrooms, we still had one that was grubby, carpet needed cleaning, other cleaning issues. Some staff were very rude, when told about a dirty glass the waiter said "if only I had the time to polish them" I thought that was very rude. If you are thinking of booking this hotel, forget it, there must be thousands of gulls who m and this hotel there besting site, and the noise they made was incessant all night, and I mean all night. The gulls are welcome to the hotel, it's a dump.

Room Tip: Go to another hotel
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank tony1404

Reviewed 19 July 2014 via mobile

Paid for premier room and premier dining. It wasnt even close to premier so god knows what the none premier rooms and dining were like! Carpets dirty and dated, corridor walls damp and dirty. Lift by the sun terrace rickety and extremely busy and only fits 3 people in so we mostly used the stairs which was hard work in the stuffy humid atmosphere. Parking is a joke! Trying to get a spot to unload your car is life threatening. A woman for a holiday company directed her bus, which was behind us in the queue, to elbow us out of the way telling the driver to 'hit the car' I was nearly crushed as I tried to get out of the passenger seat! The room was small with small en suite and dirty carpets. The food in the premier dining room was Luke warm at best. Good trays were dirty, messy, plates were hot though - especially the ones provided for the salad! Two sittings for dinner, we did the 6.30 sitting for the first 2 nights and the 8.00 for our last night which was a big mistake. The food available was what the first sitting had left! No fresh brought out to replace the picked over sparse left overs! The salad plates were still nice and hot though! The average age of the customers at the (not so) grand is 85 years. Thoroughly depressing place which I will never visit again. A previous poster described it as 'like sitting in God's waiting room' I can understand what he meant now.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Sally J

Reviewed 18 July 2014

The Grand, Scarborough. All i knew about this place is that vet James Herriot did his recruit training here, when the Grand was taken over by the RAF in wartime. (Surprised the hotel doesn't make more of the Herriot connection - perhaps tracking back to where he slept and advertising the room as such. He came here a lot for vets' conferences too.)

I have to say about room 1002.... I've had better rooms during military service. But not by very much. OK, we were on a budget stay Mon-Fri (just got back). And if you're making the most of things, a hotel room is just to sleep in. So we didn't ask for a change.Other people said there'd be no point. But, and i have to say this - a hotel room WITH NO WINDOW? This is a first.

How does the Grand get away with this? If you were a landlord, bought a house, sub-divided it into bedsits and tried to rent out dwellings which were totally enclosed inside the house and lacked ventilation or a window on an external view.... you would be dragged into court and fined on so many charges of breaching building regulations, providing substandard unliveable accomodation... how does the Grand get away with this? different rules for hotels, perhaps?

Plus points: everything was clean and fresh and there was no bad smell. Everything worked. The TV was adequate, but only 16 channels? What would it cost the Grand to buy into a Freeview or YouView arrangement that offered all 256 active channels, INCLUDING RADIO? (We agreed not having access to radio via the TV was a setback). Think about it, Britannia: a massive customer benefit for minimal outlay? And we'd been left a fan in the room: with a silent motor, too, so full marks. This was on all the time we were in the room just to circulate air. And i mean all the time. The most bizarre feature of the room was the full size bay window fixed to one wall. What the heck was this FOR? All it opened onto was wallpaper and a concealed smoke alarm. This was bizarre. Very Monty-Python!

We also shared an access corridor with the hotel kitchen and laundry. This was baffling too. I've worked in hotels: most places rigidly segregate front of house from back of house, and for good reasons. Ah well. As we hadn't been shown any fire escape procedures, I reasoned if we went up the "strictly for staff" stair we'd soon get out... they'd know the way! Were these rooms originally staff quarters? Having lived in at hotels - this would make very great sense.

food was good plain cooking and plentiful. Only two quibbles, which I shared with a waiter;
i) Somebody in the kitchen needs to learn how to do stuffing. The version we were served at all meals was lumpy in places, powdery in others. How much supervision does a commis chef need to mix boiling water with sage and onion stuffing powder, and stir THOROUGHLY? I mean, I don't want anyone getting a Gordon Ramsey from the head chef over this, but it was bad...
ii) On one night (Tuesday) the potatoes, both boiled and roast, were hard, bullety and underdone. minor quibble, as i say, but attention to detail, as my old Head Chef said....

And i know given the location, it must cost the Hotel, you'd have to hire in specialist window cleaners and they must cost. But the outside restaurant windows were decidedly dingy and need a good clean....

We'd love to come back and we would reccommend the Grand. But if you're offered any room requiring you to go to a floor preceded by a minus number, or beginning 100..., 200... or 3000.... refuse it. Ask for one with a REAL window view!

Room Tip: If you are offered a "basement" room - REFUSE IT. Make it clear you want one with an actua...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank vivienne g
Grand724, Manager at Grand Hotel Scarborough, responded to this reviewResponded 19 July 2014

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your comments during your visit to us, we will use your feedback to improve the hotel.

We are continuing to invest heavily across our hotel over the coming year.

Reviewed 18 July 2014 via mobile

We arrived and was put in a damp smelly basement we asked to be moved so they did into a worse room damp no window outside the kitchen entrance..back up to reception where they said there was no more rooms available.I then told them I want my money back as we are not stopping in this hole..all of a sudden they found a room that was not in the basement and to be honest it was no better..there was damp walls with wallpaper peeling off.the door had been kicked in.there was this bunch of hair on the window frames and the windows was filthy.we only stopped the night as we had put our car in the overnight car park and it was to late to get it back or we would have left.so we went to unpack I opened the draw to find a pizza box with old moldy pizza in it...all I can say is thank got it was the one night.. I've emailed them regarding my issues with no reply..they happy to take your money and that's it this hotel is the worst ever!!!!!!!!

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank ummer9466

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your comments during your visit to us in May 2014.

I can read from your review not all areas were to your expectations.

Cleanliness is key to our product, I can see procedures we have in place have not been adhered to this matter will be fully investigated.

I would encourage you to contact us directly as we currently have no outstanding feedback for May 2014, all customer feedback is responded to within a timely manner.

Reviewed 18 July 2014

should have been warned by previous poor reviews, food was virtually inedible and lukewarm both evening and breakfast meals and we weren't only ones as many plates went back fairly full. Dining room very tatty no tablecloths, chairs very worn and window cleaner needed. Standard of cleanliness poor in room, black mould in shower cubicle door and room generally needing redecorating. Parking a nightmare and instructions given as to where could park a young person with 20/20 vision and magnifying glass would struggle to read street names. We will not be returning.

Room Tip: no comment
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank sandra w

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your comments during your recent visit to us.

Reviewed 17 July 2014 via mobile

I spent a night here with my partner. I never go by views of people as someone's taste isn't the same as the next person and this hotel has had a few bad reviews so I feel I need to write one. I can say I truly enjoyed it. The room had an excellent view. Staff were lovely. Food was excellent and I did not hear a complaint from any other guest. As for the seagulls?! It's the seaside!! if you don't like them go inland for your holiday!

• Stayed: July 2014
2  Thank sarahthorne
Grand724, Manager at Grand Hotel Scarborough, responded to this reviewResponded 18 July 2014

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your kind and honest comments during your recent visit to us.

We do hope to welcome you back in the near future.