“Not what we expected” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #28 of 28 Hotels in Scarborough
Market Harborough, United Kingdom
“Not what we expected”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2014

I expected the Grand Hotel to be special. In the event it was a disappointment. The hotel is very run down, not dirty but very, very tired looking. Our room, although clean,stank of cigarette smoke. I cannot think of one positive thing to say about the place apart from the San Miguel being £2.99 a pint.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Phil H
Grand724, Manager at Grand Hotel Scarborough, responded to this review, 21 July 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your comments during your recent visit to us, we will use your feedback to improve the hotel.

I can read from your review not all areas were to your expectations.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,118)
  • Polish first
Choppington, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2014

We visited the Britannia Grand Hotel in Scarborough from 2nd June 2014 to 6th June 2014. We found the staff to be first class and couldn't do enough for us. Our room was great and our window overlooked the beautiful South Bay. The room was kept lovely and clean and our towels changed every day by pleasant staff. The Harbour Lights restaurant was great. The selection for breakfast/dinner was great. The choice of meats and fish for dinner was stunning and very well cooked. The choice of veg was of the same calibre and beautifully prepared. The residents could also select how much or how little they wanted on their plates and whilst enjoying our meals in the restaurant we were able to overlook the wonderful South Bay through the panoramic windows. The evening entertainment was also very good with singers and dancers and also games of bingo if you wished to play. The bars were also very good with reasonably priced beers and spirits. The hotel and Scarborough are steeped in history and Scarborough is a very scenic seaside town with a lovely shopping centre. We have visited the Grand Hotel twice or thrice a year over the last ten years and will continue to do so health permitting.

Room Tip: Roon 313 has sea view and jacussi bath
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
      Sleep Quality
1 Thank 49Travel49
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your kind and honest comments during your recent visit to us.

We do hope to welcome you back in the near future.
Beverley, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2014

my husband and I stayed here last night, and let me say never again! we were put in an attic room on the 6th floor, the lift doesn't even go to that floor. The room was very dirty with dust and cobwebs everywhere, the door frame was hanging off and had tried to be fixed by someone screwing in some old screws, the TV was like something Noah must have had and had a huge hole in the plastic. The carpets, walls and doors were all stained, one wall had a hole in it which had been filled (badly) with some paste.
The ceilings were all sloped so we had to walk hunched over at all times and I'm quite short, my husband could not use the toilet properly as they had placed it underneath a slope!!!!
I went to reception to air my concerns but when I got there the queue was long with other guests complaining about their rooms etc.All I could hear was that they were fully booked and there wasn't any other rooms, so to my disappointment we had to stay in the damn awful room.
The worse was yet to come! the bed, what can I say about the bed OMG it was the noisiest bed EVER! and not in the good way :-) it creaked and groaned and I really don't know I can't describe it. I had to sleep in the chair it was that bad. ( I recorded my husband just sitting on it)
This morning I went to reception to speak to the duty manager Emma to tell her about our experience. I asked for a refund after telling her and showing her the pictures of the room and even offering her to listen to the dreaded bed. She said it was out of her control to offer a refund and gave me an email to write to and said they may offer a discounted next visit!!!!!!!

Room Tip: don't choose a room here
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank olly544

I can read from your review not all areas were to your expectations.

I would encourage you to contact us direct so we can discuss your feedback further.

Travellers are raving about these Scarborough hotels

Sheffield, England, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2014 via mobile

We booked online what a rip off dungeon room I ain't no peasant arrived got our key.Opened the door no bed had been changed dirty wet towels didn't even attempt breakfast if they can't clean the rooms they can't keep a clean kitchen wouldn't recommend this awful place to anyone minging.....

• Stayed July 2014
      Cleanliness
4 Thank Chris F

Castleford
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2014

I would never ever stay at this hotel again!!!! Arrived on Saturday to first find there was no where to park to unload the car, then when we finally got parked on the main road about a 5 minute walk away, we got to reception to find the queue was huge and there was one person on the desk the other staff were stood talking around the back! After waiting a good 10 mins to get our key to what I can only describe as a dungeon room, it was the worst room I have ever seen! It was like a maze to find the room, there we're cages of dirty rubbish all down the corridor which have off an awful smell you literally had to hold you nose walking down, are room was right next door to the kitchen so it smelt disgusting! We went up to reception to be told there was no more rooms to move too! So as we went back to unpack and get ready we found there was no electric in the room so we couldn't use the plugs etc.... Another trip back up to reception to be told that someone would come to fix it! After around 20 mins we finally had electric to get ready! The bathroom could only fit one person in as it was that small! It was so claustrophobic! Next morning all we could hear was things banging it the kitchen and a dirty eggy smell coming threw the door, which woke us up! the best part about the stay was handing the key back to come home! I will never return! It's a disgrace how they even charge £85 for a room down in what I can only describe as pure torture! I wouldn't even stay here if someone paid me to!!!

• Stayed July 2014
      Cleanliness
4 Thank Frannyrhinos

Mansfield, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2014

After swapping bedrooms, we still had one that was grubby, carpet needed cleaning, other cleaning issues. Some staff were very rude, when told about a dirty glass the waiter said "if only I had the time to polish them" I thought that was very rude. If you are thinking of booking this hotel, forget it, there must be thousands of gulls who m and this hotel there besting site, and the noise they made was incessant all night, and I mean all night. The gulls are welcome to the hotel, it's a dump.

Room Tip: Go to another hotel
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank tony1404

1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 July 2014 via mobile

Paid for premier room and premier dining. It wasnt even close to premier so god knows what the none premier rooms and dining were like! Carpets dirty and dated, corridor walls damp and dirty. Lift by the sun terrace rickety and extremely busy and only fits 3 people in so we mostly used the stairs which was hard work in the stuffy humid atmosphere. Parking is a joke! Trying to get a spot to unload your car is life threatening. A woman for a holiday company directed her bus, which was behind us in the queue, to elbow us out of the way telling the driver to 'hit the car' I was nearly crushed as I tried to get out of the passenger seat! The room was small with small en suite and dirty carpets. The food in the premier dining room was Luke warm at best. Good trays were dirty, messy, plates were hot though - especially the ones provided for the salad! Two sittings for dinner, we did the 6.30 sitting for the first 2 nights and the 8.00 for our last night which was a big mistake. The food available was what the first sitting had left! No fresh brought out to replace the picked over sparse left overs! The salad plates were still nice and hot though! The average age of the customers at the (not so) grand is 85 years. Thoroughly depressing place which I will never visit again. A previous poster described it as 'like sitting in God's waiting room' I can understand what he meant now.

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple