“Poor standards”

Ranked #28 of 28 Hotels in Scarborough
Pontypridd, United Kingdom
“Poor standards”
Reviewed 21 July 2014

I arrived at the Grand hotel by coach on 7th July for a Monday to Friday break with my mother. We were given a large room, with two windows which was good but the furniture was shabby, with threadbare chairs, handles missing off the drawers, curtains hanging off etc. generally a very poor standard but we were prepared to stay in the room as we were afraid that the next room that they would give us would be worse. The food was pretty basic and the first evening meal that we had was not very warm. I did not try the cooked breakfast so couldn't comment on this. On Wednesday morning (9th) my mother became ill with vomiting and diarrhoea and this became worse, by late afternoon I asked that a doctor was called. The manager dialled 111 and after various questions were asked an ambulance was sent. The ambulance crew were exceptional but was not able to take her to the hospital because of the vomiting and diarrhoea but I was told that should she become worse to dial 999. By late evening this was necessary and the bar manager made the call. My mother has been very ill and the tests have confirmed Salmonella. She is still in hospital but hopefully she will be discharged tomorrow ( 22nd July) after spending 13 days in hospital. The source of the virus has not been confirmed but she was well when she arrived. I have remained in Scarborough and during this time I have been speaking to medical staff, staff at other hotels and local residents and it appears to be general knowledge that guests at the Grand Hotel become ill. Even the coach driver who we travelled with told me this. If everyone is aware of this why are the coach companies still using this hotel. I would like to thank the bar manager, (unfortunately I don't know his name) for the consideration he showed for my mother welfare and the help he provided ensuring that the ambulance crew was directed to our room without delay. His support was greatly appreciated.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Janet I
Grand724, Manager at Grand Hotel Scarborough, responded to this review, 22 July 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your comments during your recent visit to us.

I can read from your review not all areas were to your expectations.

We do hope your mother is recovering well.

In light of your comments regarding how your mother became ill, there has been no connection made to the hotel, we work extremely closely with Environmental Health within Scarborough.

During your stay we had approximately 600 guests within the hotel, we have had no other cases reported.

In relation to customers becoming ill at the hotel the only co-relation would be to Noro-Virus, you may have seen recently the new commonwealth village for the commonwealth games has been affected by this virus, the hotel has had cases in the past which has been contained and treated, however there have been no recent cases reported.

I would encourage you to contact us direct so we can discuss your feedback further.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,170)
  • Polish first
Sunderland
Reviewed 21 July 2014 via mobile

Stayed here with my mother on a National holiday break to Heartbeat Country. Impressive hotel from outside, needs a bit tender loving care in bedrooms, ours was clean but basic, and very creaky floorboards. Meals were very nice though with good self service choice, overall lovely stay.

Stayed July 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your kind and honest comments during your recent visit to us.

We do hope to welcome you back in the near future.
Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 July 2014

hello fellow travellers myself and my partner have just returned from a one night much deserved stay at this hotel,where do I start well (the Grand) is only in name unfortunately a beautiful hotel but seriously let down by the company that owns it. we have heard several negative things about this hotel in the past and read some not so wonderful reviews before booking but we are firm believers of forming our own opinions. After booking in which to be fair was reasonably quick we were directed to our room which was on the sixth floor ( sea view room) we opened the door and was a little taken aback at the size of the room being quite small we paid (115-00 for one night ) the room was very tired, part of the wallpaper was ripped, the carpet was grubby but the bathroom was clean at least so we thought it's only for one night we'll cope, the room did have a window but it would have benefitted from being cleaned and i had to stand on the bed to see the view better.we opened the window and had to prop it open wider with a coat hanger because the room was so hot and there was no fan or air circulating, and so to bed both of us laying on top naked (sorry for the image you may be getting in your heads) because it was so hot even with our improvisation of the window opener to add to this the bed was so uncomfortable and the mattress was lumpy, needless to say we didn't get a good nights sleep, we both got up and had to take painkillers for a bad back aaagh!!
And so to breakfast my partner loves his cooked breakfast but oh my goodness he barely ate anything the bacon was greasy and had LOADS of fat on it , the scrambled egg looked nothing like egg and the fried bread was ROCK HARD i had cereal and yoghurt Safe bet, we decided we would check out then go have breakfast elsewhere, we returned to our room and checking around to make sure we hadn't forgotten anything and i noticed the valance sheet on the bed was filthy looked like it hadn't been changed for a while so couldn't wait to leave i feel disgusted that this hotel which in itself is a beautiful building with lots of history behind it is being let down by the owners and the management, it needs some tender loving care,repairs and by that i mean proper repairs and not just make do and mend, i hope you big wigs sleep well at night taking our money because it will be the only time i spend money with you next time it will be the premier inn or such like thank you for an unforgettable experience

Room Tip: do not visit
6 Thank 39happytraveller
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your comments during your recent visit to us, we will use your feedback to improve the hotel.

I can read from your review not all areas were to your expectations.

Travellers are raving about these Scarborough hotels

Durham
Reviewed 20 July 2014

Sent to the Grand Hotel after being double booked at the Clifton given room 15a which can only be described as a damp room and smells of foist with spiders an cobwebs all over worst room ever stayed in. Wouldn't call the room Grand should be called Banned... Or nailed shut. Wouldn't let the room to dog

• Stayed July 2014
4 Thank Vfrrob
Grand724, Manager at Grand Hotel Scarborough, responded to this review, 21 July 2014

Market Harborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 July 2014

I expected the Grand Hotel to be special. In the event it was a disappointment. The hotel is very run down, not dirty but very, very tired looking. Our room, although clean,stank of cigarette smoke. I cannot think of one positive thing to say about the place apart from the San Miguel being £2.99 a pint.

3 Thank Phil H

Choppington, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 July 2014

We visited the Britannia Grand Hotel in Scarborough from 2nd June 2014 to 6th June 2014. We found the staff to be first class and couldn't do enough for us. Our room was great and our window overlooked the beautiful South Bay. The room was kept lovely and clean and our towels changed every day by pleasant staff. The Harbour Lights restaurant was great. The selection for breakfast/dinner was great. The choice of meats and fish for dinner was stunning and very well cooked. The choice of veg was of the same calibre and beautifully prepared. The residents could also select how much or how little they wanted on their plates and whilst enjoying our meals in the restaurant we were able to overlook the wonderful South Bay through the panoramic windows. The evening entertainment was also very good with singers and dancers and also games of bingo if you wished to play. The bars were also very good with reasonably priced beers and spirits. The hotel and Scarborough are steeped in history and Scarborough is a very scenic seaside town with a lovely shopping centre. We have visited the Grand Hotel twice or thrice a year over the last ten years and will continue to do so health permitting.

Room Tip: Roon 313 has sea view and jacussi bath
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank 49Travel49
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your kind and honest comments during your recent visit to us.

We do hope to welcome you back in the near future.
Beverley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 July 2014

my husband and I stayed here last night, and let me say never again! we were put in an attic room on the 6th floor, the lift doesn't even go to that floor. The room was very dirty with dust and cobwebs everywhere, the door frame was hanging off and had tried to be fixed by someone screwing in some old screws, the TV was like something Noah must have had and had a huge hole in the plastic. The carpets, walls and doors were all stained, one wall had a hole in it which had been filled (badly) with some paste.
The ceilings were all sloped so we had to walk hunched over at all times and I'm quite short, my husband could not use the toilet properly as they had placed it underneath a slope!!!!
I went to reception to air my concerns but when I got there the queue was long with other guests complaining about their rooms etc.All I could hear was that they were fully booked and there wasn't any other rooms, so to my disappointment we had to stay in the damn awful room.
The worse was yet to come! the bed, what can I say about the bed OMG it was the noisiest bed EVER! and not in the good way :-) it creaked and groaned and I really don't know I can't describe it. I had to sleep in the chair it was that bad. ( I recorded my husband just sitting on it)
This morning I went to reception to speak to the duty manager Emma to tell her about our experience. I asked for a refund after telling her and showing her the pictures of the room and even offering her to listen to the dreaded bed. She said it was out of her control to offer a refund and gave me an email to write to and said they may offer a discounted next visit!!!!!!!

Room Tip: don't choose a room here
4 Thank olly544