“Grand in name only I'm afraid” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Grand Hotel Scarborough

Grand Hotel Scarborough
Ranked #28 of 28 Hotels in Scarborough
Spalding, England, United Kingdom
“Grand in name only I'm afraid”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 July 2014

I have travelled all over the world and this has got to be one of the worst experiences of any hotel anywhere. It was clearly a lovely place in times past but it is being allowed to decay and rot by its current owners. It is dirty, poorly furnished and badly decorated. We had a terrace room with sea view (just) The window was filthy and was covered with netting obviously to keep the seagulls out. Believe me there are seagull nesting everywhere on the building and the noise was dreadful all day and in to the night. Bedroom furniture was dated early 1900's I think and was in need of repair. Stains all over the carpet and the easy chairs were all ripped and stained. Public areas are also depressing with not enough staff to clear tables or general seating areas and the balcony overlooking the bay is a disgrace also littered with every manner of rubbish. Thank goodness we only booked B&B as the thought of dinner in the hotel would have sent us home straight away I think. Avoid this hotel like the plague as we didn't meet anyone who werre happy with it during our 3 days there.

3 Thank Richard B
Grand724, Manager at Grand Hotel Scarborough, responded to this review, 25 July 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your comments during your recent visit to us, we will use your feedback to improve the hotel.

I can read from your review not all areas were to your expectations.

I would encourage you to contact us direct so we can discuss your feedback further.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,118)
  • Polish first
Isle of Man
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 July 2014

From the outside, this hotel looked okay. However, once I stepped inside I was very disappointed. Horrifically long queues to check in. You then need to queue again to get a ticket to park after you have checked in. DO NOT accept a basement room. There are no windows and had there been a fire outside the bedroom door, we would have not been able to escape. I got a move to a room with a window which was a little better. However, it was very very dated, chipped and batter paintwork and not as clean as it should be. The shower only ran boiling hot water, so we had to stand in the shower and tip cups of water over ourselves. The carpets are stained and dirty bed linen lay on one of the landings all day This is such a shame, as the building itself has been beautiful in it's heyday and has so much potential. It has some lovely features but, not been used to it's potential. A few saving graces are that the choice of breakfast is good. However, it is like a cattle market. You would think people hadnt eaten for years and the staff are really good generally in a very trying environment. In terms of it's location. The Seagulls are a nightmare, so you wont get much sleep.

Room Tip: Make sure you tell them you do not want a basement room.
3 Thank Hello_Kitty_36

I can read from your review not all areas were to your expectations.

Our City bedrooms have a number of Fire Escape routes from them and within all Fire Safety Laws.

Travellers are raving about these Scarborough hotels

Glasgow, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2014

the following is the letter i wrote to the hotel itself on 23/7/2014.

To whom it may concern,

I can't find the box to leave a review of your hotel, and i think on this occasion it may be just as well.
I am quite disappointed in the level of decor of the hotel. An impressive building from the outside coupled with it's equally impressive entrance foyer really does deserve a better quality of room than the one i had.
I stayed in room 331 on 19/7 - 21/7/2014 and was disappointed to say the least. The carpets were dirty, wallpaper hanging off the wall and not even a shower in the bathroom. The breakfast wasn't too great either and indeed we did not bother having any on the 2nd day. This has now been added too with several of my party now being ill.
I'm not a fussy person, nor am i much of a moaner, but i do think the grand deserves a little bit more care. I am even still waiting my confirmation booking email... I didnt even get that prior to arrival.

It didn't spoil my holiday, but could have made it a hell of a lot better too.

Regards,

Room Tip: Great if you like seagulls keeping you awake!
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
      Rooms
3 Thank J G
Grand724, Manager at Grand Hotel Scarborough, responded to this review, 24 July 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your comments during your recent visit to us.

I can read from your review not all areas were to your expectations.

In relation to customers becoming ill at the hotel the only co-relation would be to Noro-Virus, you may have seen recently the new commonwealth village for the commonwealth games has been affected by this virus, the hotel has had cases in the past which has been contained and treated, however there have been no recent cases reported.

As you have written direct to us you will receive a response shortly direct from us.
Worksop, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2014

Just came back from the Grand Hotel in Scarborough, stayed two nights with my wife and granddaughter aged 8. The room we were given was on floor -3, this room had no windows and no ventilation, the room smelt very fusty and when we had a shower all the room steamed up, this may account for the smell. The room it's self was large and had plenty of storage. Could not sleep after about 7am because of the noise, don't know if this was another room or if the kitchen was above us, Almost every time we came past reception there was someone complaining about the room they had been allocated. I've stayed in this hotel before but this room was by far the worst I have stayed in. This was the straw that broke the camels back, I will look for another hotel next time we visit Scarborough.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
      Rooms
4 Thank Alan M

Leeds, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2014

Just got home, thank god. Never, ever again. Disgusting. The worst hotel I've ever stayed in.
The room was dirty, and I had to ask them to change the bedding in the room because it had stains that I'd rather not talk about.
The breakfast was cold, and the service shocking. Every guest at the hotel was complaining.

Room Tip: Some of them don't even have windows, check before you book
      Location
5 Thank Diddawn

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2014

Just returned from a two night break at grand hotel, scarborough. Where do I start, on arrival we had to wait in a huge que to check in, took ages due to people complaining about their rooms, staff at reception pretty unhelpful, only way to describe them is "couldnt be bothered" when we eventually found our room on 6th floor, it was very very tired, bed and bathroom were clean but decor and furnishings shabby, our see view was a brick wall and to be honest dont know if we would have seen the sea as I dont know when the windows last saw some water. Went for dinner the only word would be disgusting only thing it reminded me of was 1970s school dinners needless to say went elsewhere for dinner the second night. I know Scarborough is a seaside location and seagulls are part and parcel of the area but every ledge etc had birds nesting on them, bird droppings and feathers everywhere. When this hotel was built i am sure it would have been stunning but I think the best thing the company can do is close the doors for a few months, throw some money at it and upgrade.

• 4 of 5 bubbles
      Location
5 Thank wllal5

Glasgow, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2014

Just returned from a mini-break (3night h/b),but THIS IS the WORST hotel I have ever had the misfortune to stay in.
After seeing the condition of our room my wife and I decided to ask for a refund.The room was like a dog kennel it was dirty it smelled of smoke the shower was filthy.{we asked for non-smoking with a bath}After speaking to the duty manager we were informed we could not get a refund as it was not company policy .All other hotels full OR WE WOUD HAVE LEFT ANYWAY
We were put on 6th floor where we found dirty tissues on floor at bedside table with sweets,stuck to carpet a cracked window which was loose, broken window handle which made it unable to open and close.A piece of wooden flooring was missing from the bathroom and a drawer handle had been replaced with a bit of wire.
Being unable to close the window all night we were kept awake by seagulls
Still don't know if the sweets are there we asked and were told to come back after 2pm if still there,NOT MY JOB
FOOD- after trying 1st night didn't bother with the other dinners
breakfast 1out of 10 toast ok

Myself and my wife can cope with things pretty easily but when you see eldery people in tears that's what this place will do
IF YOU WANT A DECENT ROOM STAY SOMEWHERE ELSE !!!!!!
THE BEACH IS CLEANER!!!

Room Tip: don't book
5 Thank k h
Grand724, Manager at Grand Hotel Scarborough, responded to this review, 23 July 2014