“Awful hotel avoid!!!!!”

Grand Hotel Scarborough
Ranked #28 of 28 Hotels in Scarborough
“Awful hotel avoid!!!!!”
Reviewed 4 August 2014

Came here last night scruffy hotel for first look needs alot of work doing to it the room wasn't propley clean it was very hot woke up this morning the toilet is over flowing with poo and the sink and shower the tea last night was terrible went to complain this morning couldnt get our money back for last night totaly disappointed as this was a birthday treat avoid!!!!!

3 Thank 07825186307
Grand724, Manager at Grand Hotel Scarborough, responded to this review, 7 August 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your comments during your recent visit to us, we will use your feedback to improve the hotel.

Their was a plumbing failure within your bedroom which we apologise for, as with any plumbing system, faults occur as I am sure you can appreciate.

I would encourage you to contact us direct so we can discuss your feedback further.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,194)
  • Polish first
Oldham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 August 2014 via mobile

Stayed for one night courtesy of National Holidays for Legends of pop.
Booked a twin room, entering the room we had a 3/4 double bed. Went to reception said they only a twin room with no window. We took the room as we didn't want to spend time up and down stairs. Yes we were in the bowels of the hotel!!!
Ok the room was ok except for the damp mold smell, no vents, no fan and the heat in the room was like a sauna! At least we didn't have the squarking of the seagulls that a member if the staff feeds.
In the morning after an airless sauna night had to go in search of a window to see what the weather was like, only to be greeted with a window full of seagull poo!!!(being polite)
Food, well we didn't eat in the hotel, I wonder why?

3 Thank Julie P
Grand724, Manager at Grand Hotel Scarborough, responded to this review, 5 August 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

I can read from your review not all areas were to your expectations.

Travellers are raving about these Scarborough hotels

Northampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 August 2014

This is by far the worst hotel I've ever stayed in. No parking. Long slow queue to check in. The room... Well, how do I start..... Small, shabby, dirty, old fashioned, cheap. Poor quality tea & coffee in the room, no biscuits. Double bed pushed up against the wall, no bedside table (the room wasn't big enough). And this was Premier! My husband and I were charged £92 per night for this, breakfast was included - breakfast was good. Read all the other reviews. It really is as bad as it sounds. I had a wonderful stay in Scarborough but this was despite the accommodation, not because of it. Very sad.

Room Tip: There are no good rooms.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Footyphobic
Grand724, Manager at Grand Hotel Scarborough, responded to this review, 4 August 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

I can read from your review not all areas were to your expectations, I am sorry that you never gave us the opportunity whilst you was staying with us to put things right for you.
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 August 2014

We were only in Scarborough for the day and we were looking for a nice place to have lunch. From the outside this is a truly magnificent building. When we approached the hotel there were a number of trolleys with dirty washing piled on them right next to the front door, Very poor. When you enter the lobby you are met with fruit & vending machines which is completely out of character with this fine building,we couldn't ask for help at reception because there was a long queue of people. We eventually found the terrace area and a very disgruntled family who advised us to leave if we valued our health. We decided to have a look for ourselves and we found a dirty disgusting mess of bird poo and dropped litter. The outside furniture was the cheapest crap money can buy. We turned and left never to return. This hotel is for the Kiss me crowd and not for people looking a little class and style. Please take this beautiful building off the amateur outfit who obviously do not know what they are doing.

7 Thank david w
Dear Valued Guest,

I can read from your review not all areas were to your expectations, I am sorry that you never gave us the opportunity whilst you were visiting with us to put things right for you.
stratford upon avon england
Reviewed 1 August 2014

Lovely clean room, plenty of tea and coffee in the room. Superb towels thank you Lynda. Very helpful staff.,pleasant in the dining room. Sea view from the room was fantastic,yes there are seagulls but you are at the seaside, Reading some of the other reviews I wonder if they are staying where we stayed. The food is good considering how many they are cooking for. We have stayed here several times and we are looking forward to our next visit. Thank you to the manager and staff of the grand,

Room Tip: Ask for a premier room with a sea view Well worth the extra cost .
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank carer050
Grand724, Manager at Grand Hotel Scarborough, responded to this review, 2 August 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your kind and honest comments during your recent visit to us.

We do hope to welcome you back in the near future.
Redcar, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 August 2014

Took a last minute cheap break .On entering you can imagine the grandeur of this hotel. I,m afraid its all gone.Our room was in the depths with a window high up,there was a damp smell from the bathroom,( we just shut the door).The sheets and towels were clean and white .I was told upgrade rooms were better. Theres a lovely terrace looking over the bay ,millions of noisy seagulls and breakfast was bland.however we were in a perfect position to get anywhere and it was ok for a short stay.Thats it in a nutshell.

Room Tip: Get an upgrade.Its cheaper to get when you arrive.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Angie W
Dear Valued Guest,

We do hope to welcome you back in the near future.
Aylesbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 August 2014

Stayed here for 2 nights. My room had recently been refurbished but they did think of adding aircon to a room with no windows. I baked during the night and drank almost 2 litres of bottled water I bought from a local supermarket (bottled water not provided). My mother had a non-smoking room, it stank of smoke. She checked with a member of housekeping cleaning the next door room. She was told 'they all smoke in the rooms. There is nothing we can do' and went on to say she could smell anything as she was a smoker!

Breakfast was a sorry affair! Mass produced, cheap without any care. On the first morning a had fried eggs. On the second day there was only watery, anaemic looking scrambled eggs. After a good 15 minute wait to get into the frenzie feeding room, I asked for a fried egg was told this was not possible as the hotel does not serve fried eggs. I was treated as though I was stupid and as though I did not know what I ate the day before. Not giving up I asked another member of staff and was told the hotel decided only to provide fried eggs for those purchasing a premium upgrade for breakfast as a differentiating factor! Same eggs, staff cannot be bothered!!

Over the 2 days I noticed everywhere throughout the hotel customers were complaining. Bad rooms, poor food, staff attitudes, this hotel has a culture of 'take it or leave it'. This culture is endemic and after speaking to the duty manager during my stay is lead by the management.

Now, I must mention the seagulls!! There is a large colony nesting on the hotel. If you are (un)fortunate to have a room with a window, earplugs, you will need these at night. If you have a dungeon room in the bowels of the hotel, as hot as Hades then you only have to wory about leaving, dodging the droppings falling from above. They hose down the patio area daily to try and kep the bird mess down but it does not keep clean long.

If ou bring a car here there is NO PARKING! On street parking is available but as rare as a window in the hotel without a seagull!!!

What would I recommend ? A diferent hotel. Do not waste your hard earned money in this 2 star (seagull votes) hotel unless of course, you are a seagull looking for somewhere to nest, squark and poop!!

Room Tip: Another hotel
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank C M
Dear Valued Guest,

I can read from your review not all areas were to your expectations.