“Sorry but wouldn't go back.. EVER”

Grand Hotel Scarborough
Ranked #28 of 28 Hotels in Scarborough
“Sorry but wouldn't go back.. EVER”
Reviewed 18 August 2014 via mobile

My husband myself and my two small children stayed for a two night stay in April unfortunately I don't have many positives as we really didn't enjoy our stay.
We are vegetarian and the waitresses in the restaurant looked and treated us like we had a condition that might be catchy and we were thoroughly disappointed to find we were left with one choice in microwave meal for food!
The room we stayed on which was the fourth floor was absolutely FREEZING and considering our stay was in spring I was shocked at how cold the hotel was and my children shivered during the night when I enquired about heating as it really was that cold in the room I was told no one had any access to it. So that was it a large radiator only heated to a lukewarm temperature twice a day was supposed to keep my lil family warm in a sea front room with a window that had a single pane of glass that let so much cold air in.
The hotel is rather grand in appearance but needs closer attention and the overall theme seems set back in time slightly and by no means do I want to sound judgemental but if your over 60 you should fit in very well as we were the youngest family to stay while we were there!

Stayed August 2014
4 Thank LisaJaneMyatt2503
Grand724, Manager at Grand Hotel Scarborough, responded to this review, 20 August 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your comments during your recent visit to us, we will use your feedback to improve the hotel.

We do hope to welcome you back in the near future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,246)
  • Polish first
Cheltenham, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 August 2014

I have lived in Scarborough for most of my life and I really should have known better. I knew that the hotel had had lots of problems with health and cleanliness in the past but thought that these had been sorted out now. I feel so sorry for visitors and families that come and have this experience of Scarborough. Having moved away from Scarborough in recent years I wanted to bring my daughter back to see some of the history and decided to stay at the grand because of this. I didn't have high expectations, shabby clean and a small window maybe but nothing prepared me for what we got. The first room we were allocated was three floors below the ground level the smell first hits you as you get out of the lift. The box room we were given had no windows and was filthy. When I complained we were given two other room keys to try both windowless rooms. The second was worse than the first and had a dirty travel cot in the middle of the room. The last one was one floor below ground level which had stairs at the side and felt much safer in the event there may be a fire. As it was the only option we took that one.......the room was windowless but had a big fake window on the wall, the smell was terrible no air-conditioning,the airfresheners we went out and bought did not help much,filth everywhere walls, doors...I could go on. Then to top it all in one day alone we came back to the hotel room to find the door left open twice by hotel staff. Absolutely disgraceful! Management don't seem to care once they have your money. We had booked in for two nights and after one sleepless night we moved out. There are three perfectly acceptable hotels in this same location please do not be ripped off by this one.

Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
7 Thank Karen M

We do hope to welcome you back in the near future.

Travellers are raving about these Scarborough hotels

Wigan, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 August 2014

A group of us stayed here for a weekend. The hotel is very run down but worst of all is very dirty. The lower floor bedrooms seem better than higher floors. The bedrooms we were allocated were just awful, most of us had to change rooms. Damp, dirty and very grimy. Some of the rooms hadn't even been cleaned from the previous guests.

We stayed b&b, the breakfast was appalling, we tried it first morning, the beans were ok as was the toast - avoid the rest. We gave it a miss the second morning

The staff were surly, miserable and generally very rude - though hardly surprising with the amount of complaints they were having to deal with.

Massive queue when checking in - had to wait for half an hour, when I asked if it was always this busy, I was told very patronisingly 'we have a lot of bedrooms madam and it is Friday', that was me told then!!!

When my friend asked to change rooms, she was handed a key with two words 'Move, now'. The staff have never heard of customer service.

Shocking hotel, needs to be closed down - we heard many horror stories whilst there.

Never again.

Room Tip: Don't bother staying here!
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
9 Thank lynner r
Grand724, Manager at Grand Hotel Scarborough, responded to this review, 18 August 2014

Manchester UK
Reviewed 17 August 2014

We took two of our grandchildren for a three night break at the Grand to help break up the long school holiday. Having already booked the holiday before reading the reviews we were in for a shock when we did read the, most of them were critical on most aspects of the hotel but I’m pleased to say our experience was not as bad as those critics. Having said that I should say straight away we paid extra to upgrade to a premium room and the premium dining room so maybe that’s why we found it better than others. Don’t get me wrong its far from being the best hotel we’ve stayed at but also far from being the worst. If I start with the positives the room was warm (to warm at times) and comfortable, the so called spa bath did not work as a spa and apparently none of them do but the bathroom was fine. The food was very good and plenty of choices the restaurant staff were pleasant and helpful if a little over worked. The hotel is well placed with excellent sea views and conveniently placed for the tram ride down to the beach (I was told that if we chose to walk there are 188 steps) and the evening entertainment was very good although a little repetitive.

For a family hotel there were shortfalls, no day time entertainment we were fortunate to have very good weather but had we not the kids would have been very bored, I’ve already said the restaurant staff were pleasant and hard working but they needed at least two more staff at each mealtime it was annoying standing in a queue being able to see several empty tables which required clearing and cleaning before others could enter. The resident singers and dancers are excellent indeed my 8 year old grandson developed his first crush on the young lady singer but a bit of variety would be welcome.

Room Tip: It pays to upgrade to a Premier room and the Premier restaurant the rooms are more comfy and the que...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Ray S
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your kind and honest comments during your recent visit to us.

Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 August 2014 via mobile

We've recently stayed in this hotel and found all the staff to be exceptionally friendly and very helpful! We had a fantastic view of the South Bay harbour from our room which was very comfy and warm. I'd come back and stay here mainly because of the staff thank you very much!

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Geraint_2011
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your kind and honest comments during your recent visit to us.

Darlington.County Durham
Reviewed 17 August 2014

Arrived at the grand around 12 midday on the Saturday ,we knew we couldn't check in till 2pm and was told that by a girl on reception. We had a look round hotel then went for a look around Scarborough.
Went back to hotel at 2.30,and checked in, we were disappointed with our room.it was a standard double room,but was very small ,even the door of the bathroom wouldn't open properly as the bed was in the way! The bathroom wasn't very clean and neither was the toilet! The sheets on the bed however were very clean.The bed creaked,!!,the floor creaked!!
The ballroom on the night was far too small to accommodate everyone in the hotel,not enough seats or tables! In the coffee lounge.it was ok but there was football on the tele all day!!
We did have a good night sleep,(must have been the sea air).
Was booked in for breakfast in the Harbour restraint,it was very big,we felt as if we were at butlins!! Buffet breakfast....which we don't mind,but it was very slapdash,i just could not eat the breakfast,sausages were all burnt.
All of it was very disappointing!! Although we did enjoy Scarborough.

Room Tip: I would choose the best room you can afford and hopefully it will be better.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Wrenny1952

Sunderland, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 August 2014

hi me and the wife have just had a one night stay at the grand hotel scarborough it cost £59.00 for bed & breakfast.
the staff at the hotel were first class parking is just out side and cost £3.00 for 27 hour stay bought from hotel reception. As the hotel name says its main entrance and lobby area is grand with a huge stair case dominating the whole area leather comfy sofas tables really lovely.the lifts are tiny for such a large hotel and once you get behind the scenes ( upstairs) it is really tired in need of a huge overhaul our room on the 4th floor was old and not very pleasant at all the windows were scruffy the bedding was nice and fresh and white but everything else was dreary and old and for a non smoking hotel it did smell of smoke probablys engrained in wall paper.
Entertainment was bingo and a cabaret but ball room was again quite small for size of hotel have to be in really early if you wanted a seat.
Breakfast was self sevice and covered all our nees full English ,cereal, toast no problem at all.
just outside the hotel was a suspencion train that took you down to beach for 80p not bad
there was a few half decent pubs just outside aswell avoid the nearest pub called "bar 2b" they have promotional prices up behind bar but you cant get a drink at the prices stated some rubbish about the price list needed changing but popped in later that night and the same promotion was up just felt like I was being taken for a mug so AVOID.
All in all for one night its ok couldn't of done two nights.

Room Tip: don't think there is any
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple