“Very dissappointing”

Grand Hotel Scarborough
Ranked #26 of 26 Hotels in Scarborough
Reviewed 18 September 2009

I travelled with Grand UK holidays. It seems to me they do not have the staff to cope with so many coach holidays, there were 9 there I believe. It was a shambles when we went to the restaurant for dinner the first night, you had to queue and there did'nt seem enough room fo everyone, it was the same at breakfast the next morning. We reported it to our Tour Rep. who was able to reserve us part of the restaurant for 6 p.m. dinner every night, and we did'nt have to queue for breakfast. The food was self service which I must say was good but not always hot. The hotel provided very good entertainment every night. But I will not book a Grand UK holiday if they continue to use this hotel.

1  Thank Magann8
Write a ReviewReviews (6,751)

Reviewed 15 September 2009

Travelled with National and for the money we paid we have no complaints. The room was clean, not glamorous, but basic and clean. The bedding smelt fresh as though it had just been laundered. We only stayed two nights but the towels were changed each day, clean pure white and fluffy soft towels. Choice of starter, main course and dessert for evening meal and a satisfying hearty breakfast. One older lady unable to walk without a stick asked for assistance she not only got a waiter but a waitress as well. It was worth the money just to enjoy the view. Any complaints - can the bars please sell Stella? Other than that no complaints we got what we paid for.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Yorkiesmissus
Reviewed 15 September 2009

The hotel was filthy , the room was disgusting , damp , smelly with water stains and dirt .
If you have booked at this hotel cancel NOW.

2  Thank KentEvad
Grand724, Manager at Grand Hotel Scarborough, responded to this reviewResponded 8 January 2017

Dear Guest

Thank you for your review, and we are sorry that we did not fully meet with your expectations for your recent stay with us.

We do try to ensure everyone has a seamless visit to us, and we are sorry that you feel that was not that case.

Reviewed 13 September 2009

nearly cancelled my trip after reading the reviews but was pleasantly surprised at what i found. this once grand hotel, is now firmly aimed at the budget, mass market.
coach tours are their bread and butter and it really is a case of pack em in and pack em out.
the foyer is still rather charming but spoiled by the coachloads of senior citizens lolling around waiting for coaches/breakfast/dinner/bingo/anything.
i agree that the self-service restaurant was reminiscent of school dinners but i thought the breakfasts were great - lots and lots of choice and as much as you liked. the evening meal was fairly poor and i skipped my second night there and opted for pizza hut - 5mins walk away.
our room -448 - was fine. 2 windows, double and single beds with clean white linen. yes, the furniture was very dated but the carpet and curtains were new and the bathroom clean, with a spa bath as well as shower. there were no toileteries provided and the tv was old and controls not working properly but we managed to get 5 channels eventually.
the front of house staff seemed pleasant enough, the restaurant manageress efficient as were the waiting staff, although generally they were unsmiling. perhaps they only get the minimum wage and they do have to work hard for their money.
my biggest gripe is that the evening entertainment is aimed at the more mature guest.
ballroom music ,played through a box ,encourages one or two senior citizens to show the rest of us how they can still cha-cha or rumba. later, there's bingo - silence all round,please, followed by artistes singing/telling jokes etc. making my excuses and retiring early was no escape - we were kept awake on the friday night until 1.30am by the racket from a function in one of the other public rooms.with no phones in the rooms, short of shocking the oldies in my negligee (if they were still up!) you had to endure it until able to present yourself at reception the following morning.
beware the basement rooms - i believe they are really scary - but if you want a centrally located hotel, not too fancy and get a good rate then go for this. otherwise - try travelodge directly opposite!

1  Thank sooz16
Reviewed 7 September 2009

Went to this hotel with National holidays. Dont believe what you always read in the reviews of this hotel. I did and it did not reflect it in any way. We had a brilliant time. The hotel was very warm welcoming and friendly. The staff go out of their way to make sure you have a good time. Our room was lovely and large with fantastic views overlooking the sea. The food was the best we ever had with a good choice to suit all taste buds we enjoed the self-service too. The entertainment was what we expected as it caters for all ages. The central location of this hotel makes it a good choice to explore everything. I however would not recommend it for anyone with walking difficulties as the area is quite hilly. Would definately recommend this hotel and will be going back. p.s room 551 is the one to pre=book. Well done to all staff who made our holiday a brilliant one. A. Wharton. Preston, Lancs.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank wartog
Reviewed 3 September 2009

I booked a single room for a 3 night stay. I had to leave early as the room I was in was shocking and I couldnt eat another cold meal.
Single rooms are always small but this one had definitely been a cupboard in a past life. Waste water pipes from the bathroom above protruded from my ceiling. The bed was so uncomfortable I could feel every spring. The TV showed only 1 channel (ITV) and there was no remote control. There was an advice not stating that in the case of fire or a medical emergency dial reception for assistance, hard to do as there was no phone. There was nowhere to sit in the room apart from the bed. The noise when the people upstairs used the shower was unbelievable, water rushing around the pipes in my room. The windows wouldnt stay open, I had to prop a can of hairspray in the window so I could get some air. The only thing that was half decent in the room was the bathroom.
The hot breakfast food on the buffet was swimming in grease. The evening meals on the buffet service were cold. The first night my food was reheated, the second night I just gave up and ate it cold. There is a serious lack of staff in the hotel. The only member of staff who payed any attention to the customers was the restaurant manager, and the waitresses seemed terrified of her.
The hotel is very clean, but sadly this is the only good thing I can say about it.
When I told the receptionist I was checking out a day early she said 'OK' and took the key.
I spoke to 4 other couples and 2 families with small children who had complained and asked for room changes but all had been denied being told that the hotel was full. There was no way the hotel was full, I suspect that they will not move people to the newly renovated part of the hotel unless they offer to pay extra.
I didnt pay a low rate for an old room, I paid the going rate and got a shockingly bad room.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled solo
2  Thank Julie W

Reviewed 3 September 2009

Indifferent service and staff clearly wearied by the numerous justified complaints that they receive.Stay here if you wish to have a bedroom without windows,cuisine from 1963 and creaking, failing lifts.It really was appalling and spoilt my elderly mother's holiday.

• Stayed: August 2009