“Fantastic Hotel- no idea what people are moaning about!!!”

Grand Hotel Scarborough
Ranked #26 of 26 Hotels in Scarborough
Reviewed 16 February 2011

I booked this hotel for the night for a little valentines night away got a fantastic deal on a turret room! would recomend to everyone fatastic view and a spa bath to boot.
as we had a premier room we did have a use of the premier restuarant,the food was great good choice for both breakfast and dinner also included in our deal was a free bar which was great!
all these people moaning about rubbish rooms with no windows yo get what you pay for on all the sites it states regular room have no windows!!! so for a few quid more you can have a fantastic room and the better restuarant.
so i would recomend this hotel to anyone. the staff were great the room was great the food was great.

The only fault is there is no car park so had to park up the road for £12.
will be coming back again :)

1  Thank arianne1987
Grand724, General Manager at Grand Hotel Scarborough, responded to this reviewResponded 17 February 2011

Write a ReviewReviews (6,753)

Reviewed 15 February 2011

This hotel is by far the worst hotel on earth it was like guest house paradiso the food was disgusting and the staff in harbour restaraunt were pathetic excuses they could do with some training on manners and customer service one of the staff a girl with blonde hair was chewing gum and the woman in the black blazer was so rude I didn't go back in the restaraunt for the rest of the week the only thing I liked about the whole stay was going home !!!!

• Stayed: February 2011
1  Thank nmtero

We always strive to improve our standards and customer care and will use the comments in a constructive manner. I only wish we could have dealt with this at the time and have spoken to a duty manager.

Reviewed 14 February 2011

read bad reviews on this hotel please dont take any notice. we enjoyed our stay and trust me i am really fussy .room lovely with seaview,food good ,friendly staff ,we will stay there again.

1  Thank melan89
Reviewed 14 February 2011

I have just returned from a weekend in this Hotel and was put in a room in the bowels of the hotel which was dirty, damp and dark(toughened glass and bars at the window with a brick wall within inches of that) Needless to say we did not stay in it, but you have to have a stand up fight to get alternative accomodation. The overall feel of the hotel is that it is dirty and run down and very poorly managed. I would not stay there if I was paid to do so.

1  Thank Jacky18
Grand724, General Manager at Grand Hotel Scarborough, responded to this reviewResponded 15 February 2011

Due to the nature of this recently refurbished iconic Victorian building all our rooms do vary in shape and size and we do have 40 internal rooms. These rooms are modern, clean and functional, albeit without a window and the only way to guarantee a room with a view is to upgrade to a Premier room. While I appreciate every comment, with 700 other guests staying over this period there will be different view points.

Reviewed 14 February 2011

I booked this hotel through Britannia Hotels for £20 room only. Although I didn’t expect a lot for £20, I was still a bit worried after reading a few of the reviews!
We arrived at the hotel to see a bus trip had just pulled up, so we thought we would have to wait a while to check in behind them all, however there were only a couple of people in front of us and the check in took a couple of minutes, and we only had to wait for the lift for a minute too.
We had a bit of trouble finding our room (it was 416A which wasn’t on the map or any signs so it would have been nice to have been told this by reception before we went up). However we did find the room eventually and were pleasantly surprised. It was a good size with a big (king sized) bed. The shower room was a good size too and it was all clean.(And the shower was a really good power shower with plenty of hot water). The room looked as though it might have fairly recently been decorated. The furniture was old, but was all clean and it all matched, what you would expect from an old hotel.

After we had taken our bags up to the room we had to go and move the car from the loading bay outside. We did have a bit of trouble finding one of the car parks that the hotel suggested. On their webiste they mention the Wilkinsons NCP which is about £7 for 24 hours – we put the postcode in the sat nav but couldn’t find it anywhere, so ended up parking at another one (Palm View I think it was called) which was £12.90 for 24 hours, but after paying only £20 for the hotel room we didn’t mind this too much. Ths was only 2 minutes walk from the hotel.

Overall I was pleasantly surprised by the hotel – it is an old hotel but from what I saw it is very clean and well maintained. The only staff we spoke to were the reception staff and they were pleasant. The bed was really comfy and was very quiet – no noise from outside or from guests walking up the corridors etc.

I would stay there again if I went to Scarborough, as I doubt there is anywhere cheaper and it is very central. I don’t think I would book any meals though as there are plenty of places nearby that are probably cheaper and much nicer (although we didn’t eat in the hotel so I can’t actually comment on the quality of the food). We didnt go into any of the bars or restaurants so I can't comment on these, although I did notice a very long queue for dinner.
The hotel does have a lot of older guests on bus trips, but not exsclusively so. We saw a lot of families and younger couples there too. And as a young couple in our 20s/30s we didn't feel out of place.

Overall I enjoyed my trip to Scarborough and my stay at the Grand Hotel, and I will probably go again (in the summer next time as it was freezing!) and if I could book this hotel on another similar deal then I would defintely stay at the Grand again – it’s not the best hotel I’ve ever stayed in but it definitely isn’t the worst and is much better than any travelodge/premier inn that I have stayed in before. For the price it was excellent, as I don’t think I have ever paid so little for a hotel room before!

Reviewed 14 February 2011

We visit Scarborough as often as we can and over the last few years have stayed at a number of hotels around the town. We had never, until this weekend, considered the Grand as a place to stay. In the past think we had been put off by the thought of huge coach parties, jaded rooms, poor service and dodgy food. Well we were looking on the internet for somewhere to stay this time and the wife found a deal at the Grand that it was be hard to resist. Three nights (thursday-sunday) Dinner, Bed and Breakfast for £120! (yes total, £20 each per day!). So at that price we thought we would at least give it a go and even if the food was not up to much we could aways go out (at this price!).
OK, our stay, will start with the one very slight downer, when booking with reservervations we were told we would get a room with a window (not a sea view but a window) however, this did not happen, we were in the basement in one of the windowless rooms. On the up side the room was spacious, clean and not as noisy as some have suggested. Think rooms have been refurbished. Great jacuzzi bath and a powerful shower. Hotel was busy when we arrived lots of coach parties but all seems well organised. Dinner & breakfast are buffet style and it is hard to complain about the food; there is always a choice and you can eat as much or as little as you like. OK presentation is not fantastic but this is not the Savoy or the Hilton but you are not paying their prices!! An important point about the dining room: where else in Scarborough can you eat your breakfast/dinner with the view you have from the the dining room!
In the evening think people do seem to say around the hotel so seating can be a problem particularly if you want to watch the cabaret. If you are bingo lovers (we are not) seats/tables are occupied early. Main bar is nice though and we spent our time in here.
We will certainly come back

Reviewed 12 February 2011

BEWARE of the rooms in the basement , they are literally WITHOUT windows.!! These floors are also very noisy early in the morning especially with staff moving trolleys around. We offered to pay for an upgrade but had to wait until the last two days of our holiday before they would move us..
Did not like the ' cattle market ' type of food restaurant they had. Better to upgrade to their finer dining room which was excellent..

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
Grand724, General Manager at Grand Hotel Scarborough, responded to this reviewResponded 13 February 2011

Due to the nature of the Victorian building all our rooms vary in shape and size and we do have 40 internal rooms. The internal rooms are modern, clean and functional and the only way to guarantee a room with a view is to upgrade to a Premier Room which includes a separate restaurant.