“Great East Coast Fish 'n' Chips!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Restaurant 55

Restaurant 55
Ranked #248 of 352 Restaurants in Scarborough
Price range: US$6 - US$19
Cuisines: Cafe, Seafood, British, Soups
Good for: Groups, Local cuisine, Child-friendly, Kids, Cheap Eats, View
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Castleford, United Kingdom
“Great East Coast Fish 'n' Chips!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 January 2014

No trip to Yorkshire's East Coast is complete without fish 'n' chips is it?! Me and my other half went to Scarborough on the Saturday between Christmas and the New Year. Having read the menu, the "55 Special" seemed great value for the price, as it included their standard sized haddock and chips, complete with mushy peas, a pot of tea, and bread & butter.

Our platters did not dissapoint. Our fish was fresh and flaked easily under a fork. The batter was light, golden, bubbly and crisp and literally shattered under light pressure. Chips were hot and plentiful and nicely cooked without being "steamed" - often a sign of too many chips in the pan when a chippy is busy. Mushy peas were a good colour and tasty (not that awful flourescent shade of green!). The bread and butter and pot of tea capped a great meal at the coast.

55 has a number of larger fish 'n' chip meals, but if you are in Scarborough and fancy fish 'n' chips, the "55 Special" hits the spot. Eat up and tip the staff well for their friendly and efficient service. (and no - I'm NOT staff!).

Just what fish 'n' chips at the East Coast should be about.

Leeds, United Kingdom
“Excellent fish and chips with great views of the bay”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 December 2013

Eaten here 3 times now and have been very happy with food and service. Tried the large haddock today and it was a good job my son was with me to help me out, it was huge and very good.

North Yorkshire, United Kingdom
“Very friendly”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 December 2013

Good place to stop for fish and chips if, like us, you've been for a long walk on the beach with your dog. Really friendly staff. Treated our dog to a free sausage and water. Seating with dogs limited to the area by the front window but still get a view of the sea. Good fish and chips - the large fish is massive. Well cooked. Very reasonably priced.

Grimsby, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great meal!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 November 2013

Myself and my family, including my mother-in-law and our well behaved puppy were visiting Primrose Valley during half term. As we have found in previous holidays, you always struggle to find anywhere decent to eat when you take your pet with you! Well, all I can say is we were pleasantly surprised. After noticing the signs on the outside of the building, we proceeded to enter and were greeted very well, even with Ollie (the puppy). Granted, we were not in the main restaurant, however, the seats in the foyer were more than adequate for our needs. Ollie appreciated the bowl of water too! The food was very nice, although we did think that perhaps the quiche could have been served hot along with the chips. Thoroughly enjoyed our meal and my daughters were chuffed to bits with their hot chocolate drinks too! Keep up the good work!

• Visited October 2013
Glasgow, Scotland, United Kingdom
“Food Amazing”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 October 2013

Doesn't look like much until you walk through the door. Views are excellent, and the food was gorgeous. Unfortunately I am allergic to fish so not a massive amount on menu for me, but what I did have was really tasty and filling. My husband loved all of the food that he had. Well worth a visit.

Visited August 2013