“Day Out”

Ranked #237 of 355 Restaurants in Scarborough
Price range: US$6 - US$19
Cuisines: Cafe, Seafood, British, Soups
Good for: View, Child-friendly, Groups, Local cuisine, Kids
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
York, United Kingdom
“Day Out”
Reviewed 14 July 2014

It was a lovely day on Saturday 12th July to go to the coast but unfortunately it was misty there so the idea of a good late lunch of fish and chips seemed a good idea.
We were presented with a flyer on the seafront of the above restaurant and thought it a good idea as the others were very busy. We found the restaurant which wasnt very busy and found a seat easy and after a short time were presented with a menu and then a long wait till the order was taken. This followed by the pot of tea and bread which was already buttered and was taken from a tupperware container.

We waited a long time for the fish and chips to come along with a family that was in before us.
In fact we had to ask where it was and they commented that they had a backlog of orders.

Well the tea was cold by the time the order came and it was nothing special. In fact it has put me off going into a restaurant and think it would be better in a take-away for service.

Where we were sitting you could see the staff and I have never seen such a lethergic bunch of people serving in a restaurant and they couldnt even crack a smile. I think if there was a fire they would be lucky to get out on time! They certainly didnt look happy at their work.

2 Thank Sunrelaxer

York
“Mediocre”
Reviewed 14 July 2014

A group of 4 plus infant visited, as two within the party had been there a couple of years back and had enjoyed the food and the view across the bay.
Well, the view was OK, despite the rain, but not much else.
I guess you get what you pay for and it was fairly cheap, but a few more chips might have made up for the very small piece of cod and the runny (and unusually sweet) mushy peas.
One of our party ordered a milkshake, but sent it back as he thought the odd taste might be because the milk was on the turn.
Staff appeared bored and service was slow, which didn't help the experience.
The Trip Advisor accolade on the wall by the door was dated 2012 - maybe that should have been a clue!

Leeds, United Kingdom
“Fish and Chips at Restaurant 55”
Reviewed 13 July 2014

Ok, so a day in Scarborough was on the cards, and as a treat Fish and Chips for lunch.

did a bit of research on the internet while I was there, and as we were walking down the front, someone was handing out flyers for said Restaurant 55. We asked the person where it was, and she said "Just up these steps and to the right".
We went up the steps and to the right, and nothing, walked up a steep slope to the back of beyond and nothing, so we walked back down and we saw it, (she should have said "Left")

So we looked at the menu, pretty average for a fish and chip restaurant so we went in.

After a bit of deciding I went for the "Large Haddock" and my wife went for "Large Plaice", pot of tea for 2 to drink.

After a short wait, the bread and butter arrived (2 slices) and then the pot of tea arrived.

After waiting for what seemed to be ages (it was far from busy) the food arrived. Big haddock it was, overhanging the plate and touching the table, and the Plaice was a good size too.

The chips were odd, I've always though that Fish and Chip Chips should be big wobbly things, not fairly crisp but that could just be my taste, but they should at least be cooked properly. There were quite a few that weren't and were nearly solid.

My Haddock was ok, nothing amazing, the Plaice was tasty enough (but I've not had plaice for so long I couldn't tell you if it was good or not compared to how it should be)
Strangely the Plaice came with Chips, Mushy Peas and a Side Salad, the salad was nice but a little odd on a plate of Fish and Chips.

The Tea was getting cold by the time the food arrived, and I'm not sure the experience was worth the wait, I've had nicer from my normal fish and chip shop at home.

There was an eclectic mix of music playing, mainly 60's which while in-offensive it was getting a little boring towards the end of the meal.

Nobody came up while we were eating to ask if everything was ok, and I dread to think how long you'd have to wait if it was busy.

3 Thank BrianA1970
Halifax, United Kingdom
“Dog friendly”
Reviewed 5 July 2014

We went into this restaurant as dogs were allowed in, we had to sit in the foyer but were just grateful to be allowed in. All we wanted was a cuppa and a bun/cake but they had neither so we had to have a pudding instead. Very strange a restaurant not having any sweets or gateaux. The place itself was very quiet, don't think we would have a meal there but would certainly go back for a cuppa just so that the dog can come in.

Visited July 2014
Huddersfield, United Kingdom
“Very disappointing”
Reviewed 29 June 2014

Visited here on a very rainy Tuesday morning ,my husband and I were here in scarborough with our two small dogs so where we could go inside with dogs to dine is very limited in scarborough unlike Whitby which is much more dog friendly . I decided to order a toasted tea cake my husband ordered a jacket potato with prawns we also ordered a pot of tea for two with an extra pot of water . After about 15 minutes my toasted tea cake arrived along with the pot of tea but minus extra hot water which we mentioned to the waitress who then fetched us the pot of water slamming it down onthe table with the result that some of the water spilled out onto the table which she didn't attempt to wipe up a second waitress saw this and did come and wipe it up. I carried on eating my tea cake expecting my husbands jacket potato to follow shortly this did not happen so after about 30 mins I felt sure his order must have been missed and my husband went to the counter to ask whether this was the case the waitress replied that the chef was just making it so we continued to wait and wait and wait thinking that when it did hopefully arrive it would be something worth the wait how wrong we were when it did eventually arrive it was slammed on the table with no apologies for the long wait and was certainly nothing special and the service atrocious . So if you want to eat your meal together and service with a smile give this place a miss , needless to say this is the only tip we would give .

• Visited June 2014