“Fab service”

Ranked #195 of 355 Restaurants in Scarborough
Price range: US$3 - US$19
Cuisines: British
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Delivery, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Description: A friendly family pub, serving delicious home cooked food from just £2.50. 2 Meals for £10 Weds-Sat and Sunday Carvery 12-3pm. Kids eat free with each full paying adult. Any occasion catered for including weddings, birthdays, christenings, funerals etc. Ample parking available with beer garden and play area.
Yarm, United Kingdom
“Fab service”
Reviewed 11 July 2014

My family and I popped in for a quick bite to eat and were very pleasantly surprised, lovely food and friendly service. Being six of us, we have often find eating out takes longer but our home made tea was served very promptly! A lovely end to our busy, sunny day in Scarborough! Thank you, 6 happy, full day trippers

• Visited July 2014

Middlesbrough, England, United Kingdom
“Fantastic”
Reviewed 10 July 2014

Had the pleasure of eating at the duchess with my partner and two children. The food was fantastic I would highly recommend this pleace I will be back for sure..

• Visited April 2014
“Poorly managed”
Reviewed 2 June 2014 via mobile

After a recommendation and reading through some positive reviews me and my wife decided to pay a visit. I checked the pub website to see if reservations were required which they weren't we decided to get a taxi from the hotel for £7 when we arrived the bar was unmanned until someone showed up 2 minutes later, we were then told that they weren't serving food all week because 'the' chef was on holiday - apparently one chef is sufficient to run the duchess and a temp cannot fill the void on a Saturday night in Scarborough during the holidays. A poor way to run a business and I for one will not be returning.

2 Thank Steven Q
Heidi D, Manager at The Duchess Pub, responded to this review, 10 June 2014
Thank you for leaving a review, however we do feel it is unfair. I find it hard to believe there was no one behind the bar and if there wasn't, they were either changing a barrel in the cellar, getting some ice or on a toilet break. Our chef sets a very high standard for his food, especially as all dishes are freshly prepared on the premises. He is entitled to holidays and in the past we have had cover to the detriment of the business - it has taken months to build our reputation for food but it would take seconds for that to be ruined, a chance we were not willing to take again. We made sure that all customers, both regular and future were made aware of the break, months before. I can only apologise that you had a wasted journey and had you said something on the evening in question, we would have been only too happy to reimburse your taxi fare for the inconvenience. Apologies once again and I do hope you will try us again in the future.
Sheffield UK
“Cheap and cheerful”
Reviewed 18 May 2014 via mobile

Went for dinner and we were seated in the conservatory as there was a party that had booked the restaurant.
Had fish and chips, freshly battered and very nice, good value for money too.
Place could do with a refurb and the high chair was covered with dart holes which was off putting for our daughter.
Overall better food than I expected and plenty for the money

Visited March 2014
1 Thank johnandwendyt
Heidi D, Owner at The Duchess Pub, responded to this review, 10 June 2014
Many thanks for your review, we thrive to improve our business at all times. Very pleased that you enjoyed the food and found it good value. I can only apologise for the highchair, we did have new ones on order but they had not arrived, these have now been replaced. We would be interested to know, apart from the highchairs, where you felt the pub needed refurbishing as this was only done very recently. Thanks again for your review and custom and hope the highchair incident has not put you off visiting us again.
Scarborough, United Kingdom
“lovely food”
Reviewed 2 May 2014

We have just had the homemade burgers and they were delicious and very good value for money. The staff are friendly and the atmosphere is good. An all round good experience which will certainly be repeated.