My partner and I found a great deal through a third party consisting of 2 nights stay, three course meal both evenings and breakfast both mornings for only £59pp.
I thought this was an absolute steal until i came on Trip Advisor and read some of the reviews (some with added pictures) and I was instantly crashed back down to Earth with the realisation that yes, there was a catch. Alot of the reviews on here are poor and some are really quite good so I was quite apprehensive as to what would be in store.
The greeting by the receptionist was very pleasant and she was very willing to help (and quite humerous!). The entrance / lobby / bar area is dated but quite pleasant, clean and tidy. I was surprised to find an old gated lift that I think is character building and i was told by the staff - grade 1 listed. Anyway, the room was on the fourth floor with a great view. Yes the room was dated, yes the bathroom was dated and the decor could have done with a little tlc here and there. My room certainly was not as bad as some reviews have suggested on here.
The sheets were clean, the room was clean, the bathroom was clean..................long story short - for what we paid we cant complain but it is an old building and no doubt very hard and expensive to maintain. I would have been quite unhappy if we had paid more but it was comfortable and thats all that mattered to us for a cheap weekend getaway.
The food was good! (though perhaps not worth the £25 per head for three courses stated on the menu). Yes, it is served in a dated dining room with dated plates but they were clean, the food was hot and served very quickly.
All in all, I enjoyed my weekend and I feel bad about dreading my stay as i was pleasantly surprised. Its not the Ritz but its got all the basics right apart from a few cosmetic issues. I would recommend this hotel but i do think if people have paid alot of money, there is a chance they may be disappointed in terms of decor / presentation but that can be changed - the staff were lovely!!
Oh and the bars happy hour between 4pm and 6pm is an absolute bargain! £3.50 for a pint and a glass of wine!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Renowned for its warm Yorkshire welcome, The Clifton Hotel Scarborough offers some of the most amazing, uninterrupted sea views in Scarborough and is situated only a short distance from many of the town's attractions. This Scarborough hotel makes the perfect base for those visiting the Yorkshire Coast. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, TripOnline SA, Ebookers, HotelsClick, Evoline ltd, 5viajes2012 S.L., Cancelon and HotelQuickly so you can book your The Clifton Hotel - Scarborough reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Clifton Hotel Scarborough
- Clifton Hotel Scarborough