“Dont take heed!”

The Clifton Hotel - Scarborough
Ranked #24 of 26 Hotels in Scarborough
Reviewed 23 November 2011

after booking our weekend at The Clifton Hotel, we were concerned after reading some of the reviews posted. However, we were pleasently surprised when we arrived! the corridors were tired, but the room was lovely with a great seaview, the staff couldnt have done enough, and Lucy the bartender was lovely! £34.50 per night dinner bed and breakfast is fantastic value for money, and the food was great and served impeccably! some people want to pay 2star prices and expect 5 star accomodation!! good luck to The Clifton, long may you reign! the Rices stayed 18 november to 20th x x x x

Room Tip: book a deluxe room
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
juliebellwood, General Manager at The Clifton Hotel - Scarborough, responded to this reviewResponded 26 November 2011

Thank you for your kind comments regarding your stay at the Clifton Hotel.
We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Regards

Julie Bellwood

Reviewed 21 November 2011

As a group of 53 people you would expect at least 1 complaint, non
we went to the Clifton for a Line Dance week-end in November. After reading some of the reports I was a bit concerned about what we would find.
Yes it's tired, yes it could do with a face lift.
But the staff were great, the food was of a good standard, the rooms were clean and warm, what more could you want,
If you want 5 star treatment you pay 5 star prices
would go back no problem

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with friends

Thank you for your positive comments regarding your recent stay at the Clifton Hotel,
and we look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Regards

Julie Bellwood

Reviewed 12 November 2011

I stayed in the Clifton Hotel in Scarborough on a Saturday night in October.

Firstly, when I arrived at Reception, nobody knew anything of my booking. I was first told I must have booked a different hotel however I showed the Receptionist that this was not the case by bringing the email (from booking.com) up on my phone. After numerous phone calls, we were finally given a room on the second floor. The receptionist was not apologetic, and seemed irritated at best.

There was a sign on the reception that stated that 'due to the digital switchover', some televisions in some rooms may not be working. I was surprised that we hadn't been informed of this on booking - it is unreasonable to expect guests to watch tv in the lounge, with others - surely they should be given a choice at what to watch? Instead of watching a communal television. There has been plenty of notice for the digital switchover, to allow for the hotel to replace TVs or even buy freeview boxes. Our TV had 2 channels, however as we were out for the evening this was not too much of a problem. I would imagine that this would not be the case for some of the longer term guests.

The bathroom was generally grotty/ old/unclean - but the fact that what was quite obviously a pubic hair was left in the bath, did not fill me with confidence for the cleanliness of the rest of the room. It made me feel rather uncomfortable, and I wouldn't really consider myself a 'clean freak' but I wouldn't expect to have to clean a hotel bath out before use. As it was, we elected not to use the bathroom. We checked in to a hotel in Filey the following night instead.

After the toilet flushes, or the sink is used in our room or neighboring rooms, there is a horrible squeeling / squeeking noise that follows for a few minutes after. This continues through the night and caused us to wake up on a number of occasions. Apparently this is known as water hammer, caused by high water pressure, but is easily managed.

Also, the heating in the hotel is unbearable. We were not afforded the luxury of controlling our own heating(!) instead the heating is turned on and off centally, for the whole hotel - the room was unbelievably hot. I rang reception at around midnight to ask if something could be done, as the plumbing noises, combined with the very uncomfortable temperatures meant that sleep was very difficult. We opened the window, to try and cool the room down but this just caused the door to bang as there was a slight breeze (again causing interruptions to our sleep).

Other minor things to note are the fact that there was only decaffinated coffee available (no good after the poor night's sleep we had!) and that there was no shampoo, just shower gel. This was an inconvience and as I travel frequently, I know that this is not typical of a 3* hotel. There was also a collection of empty wine bottles in the corridor on floor 2 ....which remained there until we checked out. This does not give a good impression.

When we returned in the evening after we had been out for a meal, and we had to wait just over 20 minutes for the night porter to provide us with the key we'd had to hand back in on leaving the hotel. This was highly irritating, especially because we then only had time for one drink in the bar (where coke is served flat, out of a bottle) before it closed.

In the morning, the Housekeepers incessantly knocked on our door until we checked out at 11am on the Sunday, surely to inform the housekeepers WHEN a guest has checked out would be better practice?

We paid £65 room only, so I really do not feel that this was good value for money. I don't think I am being picky about things, many of the items such as the shower gel and wait at reception I would have let go as a one off - but it just seemed to be one thing after another and it ruined what would have been a lovely weekend for us.

I have paid far less per night at B&Bs and enjoyed a much higher level of cleanliness, better customer service, nicer rooms and of course, a breakfast for nearly half the price! I am sorry to have to write such a negative review, but staff were not very helpful in dealing with my complaints. I emailed, and the Manager, after a few days, offered a free upgrade for next time I return. I will spend my money elsewhere.

• Stayed: October 2011
3  Thank Peach1038
Reviewed 10 November 2011

The Clifton was a fine hotel in its' time but is now slightly shabby. The staff were brilliant and very friendly. Food was reasonable and our room was massive with a bay window overlooking the sea. We had a great weekend and enjoyed our stay.

Room Tip: Go for the seaview upgrade.
Reviewed 1 November 2011

28/10/11; A late booking for a short week-end stay. Rooms on third floor were very run down. The breakfast was luke warm. If you're uncertain of the mixed reviews then take a look at the photos - they do represent the reality. We loved Scarborough and the surrounding area but we'll stay somewhere else next time.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank marakie_11
Reviewed 31 October 2011

Rooms were better than expected for the price we paid and on the whole I was pleasantly suprised even though we had no sea view.
Location was excellent along the North bay with lots of nice walks around and also within easy reach of the South bay and castle ruins on the hill dividing the North and South bays. Lovely beaches down below the cliff tops and thought that the North bay in particular had a very nice beach.
There were a few decent pubs and restaurants to get a drink and meal apart from the hotel's own pub (bit pricey) and restaurant about which I cannot comment on as we did not actually get a chance to eat there.
Reception staff were average which is ok in my books.
There is also quite a bit to do in the immediate area as well as a indoor bowling green next to the hotel which is quite fun to try.
All in all, a pleasant hotel in an amazing area and would definately go back!

Reviewed 31 October 2011

My partner and I found a great deal through a third party consisting of 2 nights stay, three course meal both evenings and breakfast both mornings for only £59pp.

I thought this was an absolute steal until i came on Trip Advisor and read some of the reviews (some with added pictures) and I was instantly crashed back down to Earth with the realisation that yes, there was a catch. Alot of the reviews on here are poor and some are really quite good so I was quite apprehensive as to what would be in store.

The greeting by the receptionist was very pleasant and she was very willing to help (and quite humerous!). The entrance / lobby / bar area is dated but quite pleasant, clean and tidy. I was surprised to find an old gated lift that I think is character building and i was told by the staff - grade 1 listed. Anyway, the room was on the fourth floor with a great view. Yes the room was dated, yes the bathroom was dated and the decor could have done with a little tlc here and there. My room certainly was not as bad as some reviews have suggested on here.

The sheets were clean, the room was clean, the bathroom was clean..................long story short - for what we paid we cant complain but it is an old building and no doubt very hard and expensive to maintain. I would have been quite unhappy if we had paid more but it was comfortable and thats all that mattered to us for a cheap weekend getaway.

The food was good! (though perhaps not worth the £25 per head for three courses stated on the menu). Yes, it is served in a dated dining room with dated plates but they were clean, the food was hot and served very quickly.

All in all, I enjoyed my weekend and I feel bad about dreading my stay as i was pleasantly surprised. Its not the Ritz but its got all the basics right apart from a few cosmetic issues. I would recommend this hotel but i do think if people have paid alot of money, there is a chance they may be disappointed in terms of decor / presentation but that can be changed - the staff were lovely!!

Oh and the bars happy hour between 4pm and 6pm is an absolute bargain! £3.50 for a pint and a glass of wine!

Room Tip: Unable to comment as I did not see any other rooms.