“4 night stay - Turkey and Tinsel 2l.11.11 to 25.11.11” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Clifton Hotel - Scarborough

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
The Clifton Hotel - Scarborough
Ranked #26 of 28 Hotels in Scarborough
Liverpool, United Kingdom
“4 night stay - Turkey and Tinsel 2l.11.11 to 25.11.11”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 November 2011

We were a party of 49 and as the organiser, was concerned at some of the reviews on the site. What a pleasant surprise - yes it needs some tlc- most of these older hotels do. The alternative is a faceless modern hotel. Room was really nice, warm and clean, overlooking the bay, food was good and plentiful, staff were very pleasant and helpful, especially the lady who worked in the bar area and never seemed to go home.. Entertainment was ok and our trips to surrounding areas were very good. For what we paid for 5 days four nights it was good value.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank Marjorie A

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (416)
Rotherham
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 November 2011

after booking our weekend at The Clifton Hotel, we were concerned after reading some of the reviews posted. However, we were pleasently surprised when we arrived! the corridors were tired, but the room was lovely with a great seaview, the staff couldnt have done enough, and Lucy the bartender was lovely! £34.50 per night dinner bed and breakfast is fantastic value for money, and the food was great and served impeccably! some people want to pay 2star prices and expect 5 star accomodation!! good luck to The Clifton, long may you reign! the Rices stayed 18 november to 20th x x x x

Room Tip: book a deluxe room
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
juliebellwood, General Manager at The Clifton Hotel - Scarborough, responded to this review, 26 November 2011
Thank you for your kind comments regarding your stay at the Clifton Hotel.
We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Regards

Julie Bellwood
South Shields, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 November 2011

As a group of 53 people you would expect at least 1 complaint, non
we went to the Clifton for a Line Dance week-end in November. After reading some of the reports I was a bit concerned about what we would find.
Yes it's tired, yes it could do with a face lift.
But the staff were great, the food was of a good standard, the rooms were clean and warm, what more could you want,
If you want 5 star treatment you pay 5 star prices
would go back no problem

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with friends
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your positive comments regarding your recent stay at the Clifton Hotel,
and we look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Regards

Julie Bellwood
Yorkshire, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 November 2011

I stayed in the Clifton Hotel in Scarborough on a Saturday night in October.

Firstly, when I arrived at Reception, nobody knew anything of my booking. I was first told I must have booked a different hotel however I showed the Receptionist that this was not the case by bringing the email (from booking.com) up on my phone. After numerous phone calls, we were finally given a room on the second floor. The receptionist was not apologetic, and seemed irritated at best.

There was a sign on the reception that stated that 'due to the digital switchover', some televisions in some rooms may not be working. I was surprised that we hadn't been informed of this on booking - it is unreasonable to expect guests to watch tv in the lounge, with others - surely they should be given a choice at what to watch? Instead of watching a communal television. There has been plenty of notice for the digital switchover, to allow for the hotel to replace TVs or even buy freeview boxes. Our TV had 2 channels, however as we were out for the evening this was not too much of a problem. I would imagine that this would not be the case for some of the longer term guests.

The bathroom was generally grotty/ old/unclean - but the fact that what was quite obviously a pubic hair was left in the bath, did not fill me with confidence for the cleanliness of the rest of the room. It made me feel rather uncomfortable, and I wouldn't really consider myself a 'clean freak' but I wouldn't expect to have to clean a hotel bath out before use. As it was, we elected not to use the bathroom. We checked in to a hotel in Filey the following night instead.

After the toilet flushes, or the sink is used in our room or neighboring rooms, there is a horrible squeeling / squeeking noise that follows for a few minutes after. This continues through the night and caused us to wake up on a number of occasions. Apparently this is known as water hammer, caused by high water pressure, but is easily managed.

Also, the heating in the hotel is unbearable. We were not afforded the luxury of controlling our own heating(!) instead the heating is turned on and off centally, for the whole hotel - the room was unbelievably hot. I rang reception at around midnight to ask if something could be done, as the plumbing noises, combined with the very uncomfortable temperatures meant that sleep was very difficult. We opened the window, to try and cool the room down but this just caused the door to bang as there was a slight breeze (again causing interruptions to our sleep).

Other minor things to note are the fact that there was only decaffinated coffee available (no good after the poor night's sleep we had!) and that there was no shampoo, just shower gel. This was an inconvience and as I travel frequently, I know that this is not typical of a 3* hotel. There was also a collection of empty wine bottles in the corridor on floor 2 ....which remained there until we checked out. This does not give a good impression.

When we returned in the evening after we had been out for a meal, and we had to wait just over 20 minutes for the night porter to provide us with the key we'd had to hand back in on leaving the hotel. This was highly irritating, especially because we then only had time for one drink in the bar (where coke is served flat, out of a bottle) before it closed.

In the morning, the Housekeepers incessantly knocked on our door until we checked out at 11am on the Sunday, surely to inform the housekeepers WHEN a guest has checked out would be better practice?

We paid £65 room only, so I really do not feel that this was good value for money. I don't think I am being picky about things, many of the items such as the shower gel and wait at reception I would have let go as a one off - but it just seemed to be one thing after another and it ruined what would have been a lovely weekend for us.

I have paid far less per night at B&Bs and enjoyed a much higher level of cleanliness, better customer service, nicer rooms and of course, a breakfast for nearly half the price! I am sorry to have to write such a negative review, but staff were not very helpful in dealing with my complaints. I emailed, and the Manager, after a few days, offered a free upgrade for next time I return. I will spend my money elsewhere.

• Stayed October 2011
3 Thank Peach1038

Travellers are raving about these Scarborough hotels

Retford, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 November 2011

The Clifton was a fine hotel in its' time but is now slightly shabby. The staff were brilliant and very friendly. Food was reasonable and our room was massive with a bay window overlooking the sea. We had a great weekend and enjoyed our stay.

Room Tip: Go for the seaview upgrade.
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
Birmingham, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 November 2011

28/10/11; A late booking for a short week-end stay. Rooms on third floor were very run down. The breakfast was luke warm. If you're uncertain of the mixed reviews then take a look at the photos - they do represent the reality. We loved Scarborough and the surrounding area but we'll stay somewhere else next time.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank marakie_11
Isle of Skye, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 October 2011

Rooms were better than expected for the price we paid and on the whole I was pleasantly suprised even though we had no sea view.
Location was excellent along the North bay with lots of nice walks around and also within easy reach of the South bay and castle ruins on the hill dividing the North and South bays. Lovely beaches down below the cliff tops and thought that the North bay in particular had a very nice beach.
There were a few decent pubs and restaurants to get a drink and meal apart from the hotel's own pub (bit pricey) and restaurant about which I cannot comment on as we did not actually get a chance to eat there.
Reception staff were average which is ok in my books.
There is also quite a bit to do in the immediate area as well as a indoor bowling green next to the hotel which is quite fun to try.
All in all, a pleasant hotel in an amazing area and would definately go back!

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple