“Disappointing!”

Ranked #26 of 28 Hotels in Scarborough
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“Disappointing!”
Reviewed 5 February 2012

We booked this hotel for a family get together. We stayed here about 20years ago when it was fresh and vibrant. Unfortunately it is now looking very sad and is in desperate need of a face lift. We had to park on the road in the disc zone due to the car park being full and were charged £6 as the hotel had no discs left!! Overall very disappointing.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank sumar_11

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (422)
Wigan, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 January 2012

I have been visiting the Clifton and other hotels in scarborough for many years, but the Clifton holds an enjoyable part of my life, old it may be in need of a face lift possibly but the traditional values of politness and service are the best around, the pace of life slows nothing is too much trouble for the staff who are well experienced, I much prefer the real hotel from the premier lodge sterotype long live the traditional hotel

• Stayed January 2012, travelled solo
7 Thank EDDIEH38
North Yorkshire
Reviewed 14 January 2012

We booked for a large group on a mystery weekend away. Absolutely everyone in our group enjoyed their stay. The staff were fab, the rooms were clean with great views, the food was standard seaside fayre but absolutely fine. We highly recommend for a nice weekend away.

• Stayed October 2011
3 Thank Misty189
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 January 2012

We booked into this hotel as part of a weekend dance break holiday in early January 2012. The staff were most helpful and good humoured. The ballroom an ideal size for our numbers. Bedrooms can vary enormously, both in size and comfort. The food was very good, with excellent choices from the dinner menu. One disappointment was that the in-room televisions are very inconsistent with the digital channels available. We could only access BBC1 & BBC2 from the five most popular UK stations. During our stay, the weather was very mild and the hotel heating system could be a little overpowering at times. I understand that the hotel is for sale. This would probably explain why regular maintenance and repair has been neglected in some areas. Nevertheless, these issues did not prevent our party from having a most relaxing and enjoyable weekend stay. I hope that a sympathetic buyer can soon be found, since a little financial investment, properly applied, could make this hotel a first class choice in Scarborough.

Room Tip: I believe the first floor rooms may be the best selection. No noticeable external noise problems fro...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank stewsviews
nottingham uk
Reviewed 11 January 2012

We went away for the first time ever at Christmas to the Clifton hotel at Scarborough. We were 5 pensioners.
Had a great time. Recommend paying extra for sea view rooms as these really are lovely. Other rooms may not be quite as good i heard.
Also prebook car parking. there is a charge but it is well worth it. They had our parking space ready for us with our name on it when we arrived. very organised. not sure where you would be able to park otherwise?
Food was wonderful and they had lots of different entertainment during our visit.
It is right near Peaseholme Park and on Boxing day we had a nice walk through this and along the beach and back to the hotel.
really well situated.
we would go again if finances allow.

Room Tip: go for sea view
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank travellersanonymous
Coalville, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 January 2012

We booked in to the Clifton for New Year for Bed and Breakfast. When booking the hotel we looked at booking directly with the hotel, but it was £110 for one night. I got it on another website for £49, so make sure you look around. Stopped here previously and it was dated, but noticed they had decorated in the bedroom.

The hotel states that freeview is not available since the switchover. This was a poor excuse, I just think that they didn't want to spend the money on installing freeview boxes, which would set them back £20 a room maybe? All other hotels in the area don't have this problem and we have known about the switchover for a few years now.

The bathroom was ok, but I had left my towels on the side in the bathroom and when I went to use it, it was drenched in water. Looking at the bathroom it was drenched in damp. I had brought my own towel, so just used that. I am sure the hotel would have changed it, but I wasn't bothered about fussing.

Breakfast was ok, although half the items that are stated are not available.

The menu states fresh fruit salad, crossiants and danishes and other juices that were not available. Neither were some other items when I looked through the menu, but cannot remember off the top of my head.

If you do not pre book your breakfast in your hotel rate it is £15.00per person which is expensive.

The hotel could do with a good paint on the outside. It is such a lovely building that it is a shame to let the paintwork get in such a state.

I would stay again if the price was right, but only as a base to visit Scarborough.

I would appreciate some feedback from the hotel as I have noticed on other reviews that they only respond if the review is good which says to me that the hotel can't take any criticism and it is not willing to take any comments on board. Hopefully they will prove me wrong.

• Stayed December 2011
3 Thank kel230288
Clacton-On-Sea
Reviewed 27 December 2011

Reading the reviews I thought I had made a mistake booking this hotel but upon final payment for the booking got a nice email from the hotel confirming everyting was booked to my satisfaction. Upon arrival the hotel looked great on the cliff top and the staff awarded a pleasant greeting. The stay was very good and the food excellant. Well done to the staff for doing such a grand job. If in the facinity again will certainly book.

Room Tip: Book parking - well worth the extra
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with friends