“TLC NEEDED AT THIS HOTEL”

The Clifton Hotel - Scarborough
Ranked #24 of 26 Hotels in Scarborough
Reviewed 5 April 2012

The Hotel is very dated and reflects this. But has good food and service. The rooms are in need of an overall but if you pay cheap that is what you get, our room was cleaned daily. The staff are excellent, and you dont have to wait for ages to be served. If you do not have a car to get into town it is quite out of the way. And the beach is one hell of a walk down to, but from what i could see, it was clean. When there, look toward south beach to the ruined castle on the hill and see the 'FACE' in the night sky, then try and take a photo of it, good luck... It is quite spooky. Overall we had a great time there so no real complaints.

Room Tip: Room 359 has an excellent all round view, quiet, and a comfy bed.

Reviewed 4 April 2012

Our 11th wedding anniversary at the Clifton Hotel .... Arrived on Friday afternoon and greeted by the lovely staff on reception, but sadly in my opinion that's where the good STOPPED, we had a room at the top of the hotel. and paid an extra £30 for a seaveiw which was stunning but we should have waited and paid £10 on arrival. We paid £18 for reserved parking only to find out that it was FREE just no gaurentees of a space, but as it happened there were plenty. The room was DISGUSTING there was VOMIT splashed up the wardrobe, stains on the carpet, the bed was huge but to make it softer they had put on a big pink fluffy blanket in the mattress .. The white quilt cover had a large coffee stain. Moving on to the Bathroom well the bin still had rubbish in, the bath and sink had hairs, there was a champagne cork in the corner, a cracked bath .. soap scummed holder ... I went and complained they said they could move us but had no other rooms and that this was one of there better rooms !!!!. would have hated to have seen one of the worst rooms. Give the reception staff there due they did get the room cleaned or should i say asked a porter to do it, he would have been as well NOT bothering. There was a dance group in. so breakfast and dinner guests were pushed into a back dining room which was cold and very uninviting. The meals were very good would have been great had they been served on HOT plates the bread rolls served were part baked and COLD I certainly would NOT pay £25pp for evening meal. The staff on the other hand seemed to be over worked and very very stressed and minimal. But they did work hard. we asked for an alarm call, we slept in !!!! because the alarm call never happened as like other guests, we then found out that they had NOT put the clocks forward............. If you go just remember this is not 5* nor 4 nor 3 in fact i would probably go so far as to say it really only deserves a 1* .... so if you can look past that and accept that it it is a very old hotel then you will be fine .... NO ATMOSPHERE

Reviewed 3 April 2012

Recently stayed at the Hotel onGumtree Offer, upgraded room to Sea View which was excellecnt (the view) not the room. The rooms are dated and dirty, bathrooms are not cleaned properly at all between guests, or they have cleaners who can't or won't clean,The room was not serviced on our second day, , the bathroom totally ignored bed was not made only pulled over, bins not emptied and no sign of a duster over the furniture. We complained as other guest seem to have done reading other reviews and was told would report complaint to management. I am still waiting for a response!!!.
I would give this place a miss, find somewhere else to stay it's not a bargain, DIRTY ROOMS ARE 2 A PENNY HERE.

Room Tip: In another Hotel
1  Thank sylviac195
Reviewed 3 April 2012

Booked this hotel through the KGB deal & after reading the reviews was dreading going but pleasantly surprised. Fair enough the hotel is tired & may be in need of refurbishment so don't expect brand new fittings (the price reflects this) on the whole the general areas & our room were clean & tidy. The bedding & towels were clean pure white like new. The staff were friendly & the buffet breakfast very tasty.
It's in a good location with fantastic views over the bay. Would go again.

Reviewed 3 April 2012

We stayed at the Clifton Hotel as a result of purchasing a KGB deal. The deal was cheap and so we upgraded to a deluxe sea view room. Our first impression of the hotel was that it needed taking by the scruff of its neck and giving a good scrub. The windows looked as if they had not been cleaned this decade. We had arrived early and asked to leave our luggage and come back later. This was fine and we availed ourselves of the use of the toilets. I was perturbed to see a member of staff leave the toilet without washing her hands - ugh! No she had not used the disabled one with its own wash basin. I had used it and come out because there was no soap. We had brought toiletries with us but had expected soap in the ensuite - none provided. The room was not too bad, we had a huge bed with good linen but evidence of the previous guests remained or was it the staff who had left their biscuit crumbs all over the coffee table. The bottoms of the windows were black with dirt and parts of the sanitary fittings left something to be desired.
The evening meal was very good value and we did actually enjoy our stay but glad we had not paid too high a price.

Room Tip: We did have a good room with a lovely view - probably worth paying to upgrade.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 April 2012

Got there on a kgb deal four of us put us in two rooms both rooms was very dirty and disgusting pubic hair in the bath the rooms havent been cleaned for weeks no curtains on the bathroom windows so they pinned a bedsheet on the window the all place is dirty and disgusting we left after half a hour this place is not fit for dogs let alone humans do your self a faver stay away from this dump

• Stayed: March 2012
Reviewed 31 March 2012

I was unfortunate enough to end up at this hotel on 23rd / 24th March for 2 night booked through KGB deals(£89 B&B). I had booked to stay at the Royal Hotel (apparently the sister hotel) but due to so error on their part we were very abruptly told that we did not have a booking, after parking 10 minutes walk away and dragging our belongings up the main street. I had read on trip advisor how awful The Royal was (after booking which I never do normally) me and a friend decided maybe it was for the best - surely the sister hotel wouldn't be as bad??....We were greated not by a warm and friendly smile but 'yes'?? I explained our situation for the receptionist to mumbled to her colleague that this had happend earlier in the week and they would not check them in! Obviously with th look on my face I am sure she was under no illunsions I would not be dragging my bags back to th Royal Hotel. We were reluctantly given our room key - the lift had a metal gate and a half carpeted wall - I thought I had travelled back to 1976!
The room was massive with a lovely side sea view this was where being impressed with the room ended, it was dirty, their were hair all over the bathroom floor / bath and the bin was full of used sanitary items, no toilet rolls. I immediately phoned the manager, she phoned back within minutes to say that someone would come and help us move rooms in case I found something else I was not happy with.
We moved to another massive room with full sea view which was beautiful but again the room was filthy - we came to the conclusion that either they didn;t have a cleaner or they needed to do some extra training. We decided that we were only staying 2 nights and only sleeping in the room so what was the use of complaining?
The breakfast was very basic orange/ apple juice limited choice of cereal and cooked breakfast (1 sausage, 1 bacon, 1 egg, 1 quarter of fried bread, 1 half of tomato and on day 1 we had potatoes as a treat!) We spoke to a few guests in the 'dining room' ( a term I use very loosly) a downstairs room which was curtained off by a sheet. The other guests were all of the same opinion MINGING I think was the word which sumed it up.
The Clifton could be a beautiful hotel - you can see past the dated wallpaper and tired furniture but for the rooms / public areas to be clean is not asking too much. I don't think £89 is too much of a bargain if the staff would have been pleasant and the rooms clean I would probably have visited again - It very handy for Scarbourogh centre and Whitby (which is lovely) This was my first stay in Scarborough but I am sure you could find a better quality hotel for the same price.

Room Tip: In another hotel!
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends