1,564 results
All reviewsnorth bayplenty of hot waterbay windowplenty of choicejuliecastleseaside
Reviewed 24 June 2012

We stayed for 5 days with our local Coach Company (Harry Shaw), This Hotel was taken over in May 2012 by the Britannia group and will be bought up to date during next few months – they say.
Our room was on the second floor overlooking the Sea and Bay, no problems there, there was a lift outside which could be handy … Most of the rooms have a Sea View. Cleanliness was not bad but could be better.

The food was not hot, warm plates at best.. at Breakfast , the sign said “CAUTION HOT SURFACE” only the sign was HOT!! LOL
The first meal, the Wife had a long hair on the plate the Pork was tough was on cold plates, we complained about the food and cold plates it was slightly better afterwards.
Menu is very basic, 3 starters inc the juice and 3 mains, NO Salads !!, only one Vegetarian, 2 Desserts or Ice-cream, no option for cheese and biscuits – Had to pay for that – about £3+ extra!!
Quality of meats were low, only the Lamb was any good, Pork and Beef was tough, the Beef, I think, came last at the York races!!! The Chicken and Fish looked OK.
They do NOT cater for Gluten Free (Coeliac), they said bring your own, though their gravy is Gluten free .. I bought some Gluten free sliced bread from Sainsbury’s, and the Chef “cooked” it for Breakfast (fried and toasted). I used my Gluten Free rolls for Dinner, as I was only able to have the Ice-cream as a Dessert, as no other options were available.

Location of the Hotel was very good, ideal for walkers away from hustle & bustle of a Town location, the beach a few minutes away, ideal and children, also there is a children’s play area up the road. The Park is just around the corner.

Has the makings of a very good Hotel, once they have done the Refurb…. And sort out the Menu!!!
Would go back again when it is finished.
Guess that we were (Twice) spoilt at the Sandy Lodge Hotel at Newquay!!!

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Radioham16
Reviewed 20 June 2012

spent two nights with my husband.room small.breakfast cold.lift like something out of the 60,shaven,t seen anything like it since i was 10 now 63.our room was double so small hate to think what a single room is.my husband and i are pensioners but felt like teenagers.hotel for the elderly.on the up side the staff were friendly,shower smelled round drain full of hair.

Room Tip: room with a sea view
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 18 June 2012

Well after reading some of the comments i was worried, but how wrong they were. The hotel is very pleasant, staff exceptionally friendly and this makes you feel comfortable and relaxed, home from home -nothing was too much trouble. The rooms do need some TLC but the towels and bedding were spotless. The communal areas also need some updating in general but at the price we paid we cannot complain about anything. The food was of a good standard, traditional, the restaurant tables were dressed immaculate. Joel (entertainer) sang during our stay and he was excellent, a good night was had by all. I honestly can say "i don't know what they were moaning about" you cannot pay 3 star prices and expect 5 star luxury! Staff keep up- all your hard work is paying off, you make the hotel - thank you - located well, great views - a good spot for exploring the surrounding area!

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank johnslaughter9
Reviewed 18 June 2012

just returnewd from a weekend break in this hotel a party of 8 and every thing was ok staff spot on brekfast spot on HAPPY hour spot on ,,,,, the only down side is that my mate is over 6ft and he had to open shower door to use the toilet ect, rooms very small and i mean SMALL just enough room between bed and dressing table to walk past sorry not walk but sqeeze through other than that good value for what you pay will i return again sorry no

Room Tip: loose some weight before you get a room at the back
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank moggy2
Reviewed 17 June 2012

I stayed at this hotel for three nights with a group of residents from my place of work. The hotel decor is tired but I have to say that we had a fabulous time. The place was spotless, the bed was very comfortable and the bedding was exceptionally clean. The food was lovely and the staff were friendly and accommodating, from the reception to the waiting staff to the housekeepers. Every one had a friendly smile and spoke to us like we knew them. The entertainment on the Monday night was out of this world. A singer called Joel who had us all singing and clapping (not something I would usually do!) but he was so good. I have stayed in many hotels and I would swap a "posh" place for this hotel any day just because of the atmosphere. My only complaint is that some of the rooms were tiny. Because I had to help some residents get washed and dressed in a morning I probably noticed this more as there wasn't much room for manoeuvre. On the whole a great time was had by all. (As a footnote, when a lady collapsed in the restaurant, my colleague and myself assisted her but the staff were fantastic - making sure everyone was ok). Well worth a visit.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business