“Needs a total revamp!”

Ranked #26 of 28 Hotels in Scarborough
Berwick-upon-Tweed, United Kingdom
“Needs a total revamp!”
Reviewed 1 July 2012

Booked a KGB deal about 5 months ago, for 2 nights with breakfast. Only ended up staying one night due to other events. Great location but we had a nightmare to park, hotel very shabby and our room on the 3rd floor was very poor. Rain was pouring in the window, the room was single room size but with a double bed squeezed in. Bathroom was clean enough though. Breakfast was distinctly average, poor quality juice and coffee and tea in flasks. The hotel was fine for us as we just needed a bed for the night but i certainly will not visit again. On a positive note, the view of the bay was beautiful.

3 Thank kahattle

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (442)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 July 2012

we bought a KGB deal for this hotel for two nights stay for two adults and two children. i have to say it was allright i wouldn't stay here again unless it was really cheap. we enjoyed it only because were were together as a family. when you drive up the hotel at the front looks like its going to fall apart there's chunks of paintwork coming off and looked bad.
the positives:
- good location, very near town centre and near the beach. the view from the corridor window was lovely but not our room.
- shops near by
- staff were good - welcoming and pleasant
- parking space designated to us for £6 per night and day
- a little lively with people coming and going
- some of the decor was nice that old antique type feel
- breakfast was ok - enough options to have a breakfast
- tea and coffee in the bedroom
- beds ok
- towels changed
- tv in bedroom
- two separate rooms in family room
negatives
- a lot of the decor very outdated
- carpet threading and holes in carpets of landing areas
- bedroom bin very dirty and old
- cleanliness not brilliant
- wood chipping at windows and woodwork in general
- bathroom shower not powerful

in all there are negatives to the hotel and im sure it would look fantastic if it was cleaned up, made new and had a facelift. when it is all done up we would probably be happy to pay extra and stay here the location is great.

Room Tip: ask for a sea view
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank lovemyholidaysalot
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 July 2012

I stayed at the Clifton hotel in Scarborough on Friday 29th June, it was a anniversary present for my partner which I found on KGB deals, I wasn't expecting much but I definitely wasn't expecting all the problems which we had. From the moment we arrived we had problems. I had reserved car parking in advance over the phone, this booking was confirmed by the person who I had spoken to. When we got there no bays were saved for me. I went into reception and I was greeted by the receptionist who clearly had no skill in dealing with customers. The receptionist who was on reception at approximately 5pm on Friday 29th was unwelcoming and snappy towards me and my partner for the whole of our stay. I am unsure why, I put it down to she had no customer skills and that we were young there for she assumed she could speak to us in a abrupt tone. When I asked about the reserved parking and why I had none the reply from her was 'you didn't check in at 3pm there for you no longer have a space' I was not told on booking that I had to be their for a certain time, we was later due to personal issues. There for I had to park on the side of the road, which I felt was dangerous, I was not happy with the way I was spoken to, she was very rude and unhelpful. This was not the only case in which we experienced her bad customer service. We had a double room booked and to our surprise we had two single beds in our room. So for the second time I went down to the reception and questioned this. I asked her to check my documents and it did say that I had booked a double room. The receptionist again was unwilling to help us, I had to suggest looking for another room with a double bed within the hotel or at their sister hotel. The receptionist was not at all helpful with this, the reply I got was 'we have no double rooms anywhere, you will have to stay here'. I asked if I could speak to anyone about this and in reply she said 'its not our problem you need to speak to Britannia Hotels who are not open now'.I did not appreciate that I had been given the wrong room and she was in no way helpful or apologetic about it. A receptionist should never speak to customers in the short snappy tone that me and my partner got spoken to.

I was very disappointed with my stay at the Clifton hotel, it was meant to be a anniversary gift for my partner. Yet it turned out that from the moment we arrived we had problems. It was not what we expected due to the fact we had not got what we paid for. I am very disappointed with the service we got. I have emailed Britannia Hotels making them aware of this and I hope that some action is taken. I certainly am glad that I only paid £29 for the room and breakfast, I definitely wouldn't of paid the full price of £109.

Room Tip: The only thing that I can compliment the hotel about was the room had a sea view, the location was l...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank laurajaderoberts

Travellers are raving about these Scarborough hotels

Rossendale, Lancs
Reviewed 29 June 2012

Just spent 3 nights here but never again. My husband is disabled and although stated this on booking form, we were put on 2nd floor and down a corridor and the room was NOT disabled friendly in any way. Our room had other guests litter in the drawers which had not been cleared. Breakfast poor, tea & coffee out of thermos flasks and weren't kept topped up. On 1st night decided to have bar meal but after waiting ages to be served and a queue behind me , the waiter said he was trying to be in 4 places at a time, this shouldn't be said to a paying guest as not our responsibility if not enough staff. Thought it was a cheek to ask for £6 per day to park in hotel car park as have never had to pay before in any other hotel. Only thing I can recommend sadly is the view from the sea view rooms. Would say could definitely do with a visit from the 'hotel inspector'.

Room Tip: Definitely book a sea view, really only thing going for it
2 Thank Val A
North West
Reviewed 27 June 2012

Just had two nights at the Clifton hotel Scarborough. What a hotel, steeped in history but very tired. What would it have been like to stay in its hay day.
Can't falter the staff. We had not booked a parking space but there was one available. Free as we never moved the car for our stay.
Ok the rooms are tired but we had a sea view (at no extra cost) very quiet and we were next to the lift.
The deal we had was very cheap and included breakfast and evening meal. Ok not what I would class as good but what do you expect for a cheap deal. Those that moan eat out.
The bar and lounge area have atmosphere and I would be happy to return.
If you like the theatre try and get a stand by ticket at the Stephen Joseph theatre, if you are lucky like us Alan Aychbourn may even be doing an after show question and answer session.
Thanks Clifton for making my stay in Scarborough great.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
Hurghada, Egypt
Reviewed 26 June 2012

we went to this hotel with friends and had a ball , qwe went with kjb deals and enjoyed the hotel . it is well placed for looking around scarborough . the beds were clean ,the rooms were a little tired but at over 200yrs old this hotel must have been wonderful to see in its hayday . the staff are very helpful, the breakfast will set you up for the day and all in all it was a great weekend . we would go back there no problem.the parking was £6 for the full weekend on the street across from the hotel and the car was very safe there. in the bar they have a happy hr at £2 a pint which sets you up for a good night on the town . a taxi is £4-£5 in to town or walking only 10 mins (slow walk)

2 Thank hairroom
Bradford
Reviewed 25 June 2012

We had booked on a Living Social deal.£59 for 2 nights bed and breakfast and a 2 for 1 evening meal thrown in.
The hotel is in a great position overlooking the North Bay and 2 mins from Peasholm Park.Car parking was 12.00 pound.6 per night for 2 days,but we didnt stay as we were relocated to the Royal after complaining about our room.
We had booked a double room,when we arrived it was a very small room.The double bed was in fact a 3/4 bed and it had a single headboard pinned to the wall, and approx 6 inches above the pillows was a lamp,which would have obviously been a hazard to anyone sleeping under it.
The double wardrobe was approx 12 inches wide and contained 2 hangers,obv not enough for 2 peoples clothes etc.Also a small shower and toilet.In the toilet was a light switch which when activated switched the toilet light on,but ALSO turned the lamp under the bed too,so anyone in the toilet at night would wake anyone up in the bedroom.We went to reception and asked for another room,we were offered a twin,which we of course declined,and then the guy on reception said he would relocate us to another sister hotel the Royal,which he did and it was fab!!

Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple