“Dirty Dirty Diry !!!!!!!!!!!”

The Clifton Hotel - Scarborough
Ranked #24 of 26 Hotels in Scarborough
Reviewed 2 July 2012

This hotel is in a very bad state of repair. From ou side it is very tired looking. We booked a kgb 1 night stay as part of a special occasion weekend in june, we were very supprised to find on arrival that we had paid for car parking when it is free outside the hotle form t-time on saturday until sunday lunch time. We got the keys to our room which we had upgraded to a sea view only to find that it was very dirty, not dusted or vaccumed, the furniture was very old with chipped painted chest of drawers which still had dirty cup marks on from previous guests. We had only one towel in the bathroom which once again had not been cleaned. We had to go to reception and get somebody to come and clean it. We had ordered and paid for a three course evening meal at a discounted price of ten pounds each but this was still over priced as it was only just edible. Overall it was a disaster of a weekend away and i certainly would not recommend this hotel to anybody.

Room Tip: Dont go !!!!!!!!
2  Thank Deborah S
Write a ReviewReviews (1,458)

Reviewed 1 July 2012

We booked a double room for one week and when we arrived the exterior of the hotel was very shabby with a lot of weeds and litter around the hotel. The staff were not very welcoming at reception and weren't very chatty with us or any of the other guests, from what we saw. When we headed for our room the staircase carpet was threadbare in places and repairs were attempted with black tape. When we got to our room along a corridor with very noisy floorboards, it was very dirty. The t.v had not been dusted for days, skirting boards were in need of a clean and the bed had no mattress protector. The bathroom smelled strongly of dampness and the toilet seat was so disgusting I had to try and clean it myself! Grouting in the shower was black with mould, the shower and sink taps were very dirty and the mirror and glass shelf obviously hadn't been cleaned, never mind polished!
When leaving our room for dinner, we could not get the lock to work in our room. We went down to reception, and a girl with red hair told us that it would be seen to right away, however when we came back from tea the girl hadn't done anything about it and so a second trip to reception was needed!
When going to breakfast we were greeted by anti-bacterial gel that we had to use on our hands before going into the dining room. Apart from being an insult, this did not give us much confidence in the cleanliness of the kitchen!
The décor throughout the hotel was very dated and the staff couldn't even spend the time to put up some of the curtains that were partly hanging off their rails.
We paid for six days parking only to come back on Friday to find that they had "made a mistake" and booked someone else into our parking space. We were told to put the car in the messy staff parking at the back of the hotel, however the car alarm went off in the night so this wasn't a safe place for it to be.
The whole experience was very disappointing and we will neither go back or recommend it to others.
When Britannia Hotels took over this hotel in May 2012, they could have at least made sure that the hotel was spotlessly clean all over, even if the décor was shabby.

Room Tip: Don't stay here if you want a good room!
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank DavieB493
Reviewed 1 July 2012

This hotel was fine for the money we paid, The bedrooms could do with a bit of a make over, a bit tired. But overall not too bad, you pay for what you get, and we didn,t pay much so it was fine for us.

1  Thank winifred h
Reviewed 1 July 2012

Booked a KGB deal about 5 months ago, for 2 nights with breakfast. Only ended up staying one night due to other events. Great location but we had a nightmare to park, hotel very shabby and our room on the 3rd floor was very poor. Rain was pouring in the window, the room was single room size but with a double bed squeezed in. Bathroom was clean enough though. Breakfast was distinctly average, poor quality juice and coffee and tea in flasks. The hotel was fine for us as we just needed a bed for the night but i certainly will not visit again. On a positive note, the view of the bay was beautiful.

3  Thank kahattle
Reviewed 1 July 2012

we bought a KGB deal for this hotel for two nights stay for two adults and two children. i have to say it was allright i wouldn't stay here again unless it was really cheap. we enjoyed it only because were were together as a family. when you drive up the hotel at the front looks like its going to fall apart there's chunks of paintwork coming off and looked bad.
the positives:
- good location, very near town centre and near the beach. the view from the corridor window was lovely but not our room.
- shops near by
- staff were good - welcoming and pleasant
- parking space designated to us for £6 per night and day
- a little lively with people coming and going
- some of the decor was nice that old antique type feel
- breakfast was ok - enough options to have a breakfast
- tea and coffee in the bedroom
- beds ok
- towels changed
- tv in bedroom
- two separate rooms in family room
negatives
- a lot of the decor very outdated
- carpet threading and holes in carpets of landing areas
- bedroom bin very dirty and old
- cleanliness not brilliant
- wood chipping at windows and woodwork in general
- bathroom shower not powerful

in all there are negatives to the hotel and im sure it would look fantastic if it was cleaned up, made new and had a facelift. when it is all done up we would probably be happy to pay extra and stay here the location is great.

Room Tip: ask for a sea view
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank lovemyholidaysalot
Reviewed 1 July 2012

I stayed at the Clifton hotel in Scarborough on Friday 29th June, it was a anniversary present for my partner which I found on KGB deals, I wasn't expecting much but I definitely wasn't expecting all the problems which we had. From the moment we arrived we had problems. I had reserved car parking in advance over the phone, this booking was confirmed by the person who I had spoken to. When we got there no bays were saved for me. I went into reception and I was greeted by the receptionist who clearly had no skill in dealing with customers. The receptionist who was on reception at approximately 5pm on Friday 29th was unwelcoming and snappy towards me and my partner for the whole of our stay. I am unsure why, I put it down to she had no customer skills and that we were young there for she assumed she could speak to us in a abrupt tone. When I asked about the reserved parking and why I had none the reply from her was 'you didn't check in at 3pm there for you no longer have a space' I was not told on booking that I had to be their for a certain time, we was later due to personal issues. There for I had to park on the side of the road, which I felt was dangerous, I was not happy with the way I was spoken to, she was very rude and unhelpful. This was not the only case in which we experienced her bad customer service. We had a double room booked and to our surprise we had two single beds in our room. So for the second time I went down to the reception and questioned this. I asked her to check my documents and it did say that I had booked a double room. The receptionist again was unwilling to help us, I had to suggest looking for another room with a double bed within the hotel or at their sister hotel. The receptionist was not at all helpful with this, the reply I got was 'we have no double rooms anywhere, you will have to stay here'. I asked if I could speak to anyone about this and in reply she said 'its not our problem you need to speak to Britannia Hotels who are not open now'.I did not appreciate that I had been given the wrong room and she was in no way helpful or apologetic about it. A receptionist should never speak to customers in the short snappy tone that me and my partner got spoken to.

I was very disappointed with my stay at the Clifton hotel, it was meant to be a anniversary gift for my partner. Yet it turned out that from the moment we arrived we had problems. It was not what we expected due to the fact we had not got what we paid for. I am very disappointed with the service we got. I have emailed Britannia Hotels making them aware of this and I hope that some action is taken. I certainly am glad that I only paid £29 for the room and breakfast, I definitely wouldn't of paid the full price of £109.

Room Tip: The only thing that I can compliment the hotel about was the room had a sea view, the location was l...
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank laurajaderoberts
Reviewed 29 June 2012

Just spent 3 nights here but never again. My husband is disabled and although stated this on booking form, we were put on 2nd floor and down a corridor and the room was NOT disabled friendly in any way. Our room had other guests litter in the drawers which had not been cleared. Breakfast poor, tea & coffee out of thermos flasks and weren't kept topped up. On 1st night decided to have bar meal but after waiting ages to be served and a queue behind me , the waiter said he was trying to be in 4 places at a time, this shouldn't be said to a paying guest as not our responsibility if not enough staff. Thought it was a cheek to ask for £6 per day to park in hotel car park as have never had to pay before in any other hotel. Only thing I can recommend sadly is the view from the sea view rooms. Would say could definitely do with a visit from the 'hotel inspector'.

Room Tip: Definitely book a sea view, really only thing going for it
2  Thank Val A