“Abysmal”

The Clifton Hotel - Scarborough
Ranked #24 of 26 Hotels in Scarborough
Reviewed 19 July 2012

We also booked via KGB deals.
When we arrived it was 9pm so we dropped our luggage off and called for a drink in the bar. After the first drink, we went to the bar a further twice, rang the bell, but no one answered. We were about to leave when I asked a member of staff what time the bar closed. He told us 11pm so we finally got served again.
When we got back to the bedroom, we found that the double room we had booked only had a three quarter bed, and a single headboard and Only one bath and hand towel confirmed that the room was intended for single use. The room was very tight and claustrophobic. The bed was rock hard and I woke up with a very stiff back the next day. We decided to make it a one night stay instead of the two we had booked for.

Room Tip: Go elsewhere.

Reviewed 19 July 2012

Where do I start!! the cramped dirty room? the cold staff? the old and tatty decor? the awful Lift and lack of space for getting in and out of it? the humming in the room ALL NIGHT ! I the cabbage smell in the corridor on the way to our cupboard oh sorry I mean Room. The broken bathroom latch which meant it banged all night unless it was wide open or the window was shut.Plus the hinges creaked badly.
KGB deal so only paid £59 BB for two nights for two of us in a double room...but even that was too much in my view. Shame because the hotel was in a good location on the quieter north shore and It was probably grand in its day (70 to 100 yrs old). will never stay again and will not recommend either.
2 good points... I asked for extra pillows and they bought them to our room. And the sheets were of a good quality and clean. Full Stop.

Room Tip: choose another hotel
Reviewed 16 July 2012

Had to put a review on as it really isnt that bad.
Yes its old and could do with a refurb but our room was clean and quite modern. Lovely big room,massive for 2 of us,2 big windows,seaview out of both.beds comfy,bathroom large and clean(altough no loo rolls,but they got brought up when we told them). breakfast nice. all staff we met were friendly.no complaints.
ideal location for Peasholm park,open air theatre and only 10 mins into town or down to south bay.
I would definitely stay again if the price was right.

Room Tip: room 240.nice views,large room
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 16 July 2012

My partner and I booked this through KGB. The approach to the hotel wasn't very inviting and the inside was just the same. It smelt very musty as did the room. The sheets had hairs all over them and the room had not been cleaned. The manageress was obliging and moved us to another room which wasn't much better. We were supposed to stay 2 nights but couldn't wait to go home the next day.

We didn't use the leisure facilities as they were filthy.

The breakfast was awful. The cheapest ingredients were used.

DIRTY! SMELLY! TERRIBLE EXPERIENCE!

Scarborough!!! No Thanks.

Room Tip: nothing nice to say.
Reviewed 16 July 2012

Its all been said in other reviews, but here goes again
The hotel has not had a lick of paint for years, very very shabby, there are no excuses for the dirty rooms even if the hotel does not want to spend money decorating .. I presume the cleaners do get paid ?? .. The windows where full of cobwebs !! Ugggh
When we came to check in, the receptionist chose to speak to me whilst still sat down behind the desk untill I pointed out to her that it's a RECEPTION !! Do these people get training ??
Breakfast was ok exept for the tiny plate, rubber eggs and watered down orange juice, however, I must point out the older waitress who had a great personality and is a credit to the hotel.
The hotel offers a fantastic view over the south bay but unfortunately we didn't want to spend any extra time at the hotel than we needed.
If you don't mind staying in a minty hotel at a cheap price, then the Clifton is for you.. We will not be booking again
Jay n Magz Moore
Stayed July 12

Room Tip: Sea view a must.. But you can't get the windows open and they get full of condensation
Reviewed 15 July 2012

its not tidyest hotel in scarbrough , its very tierd, and run down , BUT we had 4 nights on kgb deals , the bed was comfomfy, and bed sheets clean , please go with a open mind , the tele only had 5 channels , ive slept in multy story car parks to marrotts, and for getting your head down its fine , look past the tatty hall ways and run down ness of the building , what i would say is try and get a deal because the full price is overpriced , its ace if you want to play hide and seek with the kids with all the stair wells etc , warning !!!! the lift is old school and if you have kids watch they dont catch the fingers between the wall as the lift goes up , location is north bay, around a mile or so from the action , theres a open top bus takes you from north shore to the chippys,arcades,hourbour,and pubs, theres a pub 20secs walk what does guest beers ,real ale , all we did was sleep in the hotel, we was out most of the time .

Reviewed 15 July 2012

I just want to share my experience after visiting the Clifton Hotel in Scarborough. If I would only knew about the state of the hotel I would never ever go there. The building is so old, nothing wrong with the nice and old building, but the state of it... It really needs some maintenance and better cleaning team. I have booked the room with the sea view, which cost me an extra money. When I arrived I got the room the size of the cupboard, and guess what, I couldn't see any sea from the window... but on the reception I have been told that the room is classified as the sea view, I did ask politely to change the room, and I got the room with the backside view. The room cleanse was horrible, hair were everywhere, I am not saying about the dust... Well I was so disappointing. That's why I am writing this review, I want to let the other people know and warn them about this hotel! Don't stay there if you don't want to spoil the your visit in lovely Scarborough!