I stayed at the Clifton Hotel via a 4 day coach break with National Holidays, the staff are pleasant in all Departments from reception to cleaners, at this hotel I don't think there are any problems with the staff but the hassle they are put through is due to a shortage of much needed investment in the rooms people stay in.
The restaurant area was once a ballroom and is ideal and spacious to easily accommodate all the guests, the food was very good at the evening meal, the breakfast menu too was excellent, all food was hot, and hot plates were available, used plates were soon removed and areas kept clean by the waiters and waitresses, the chef gave regular visits to ensure food didn't go short, there was always plenty of fresh food being added.
We had a room that had been re-decorated, it was pleasant but had no opening windows in the bay, so all the moisture at this time of the year from the bathroom was condensing on the single glazed window, we even tried keeping the bathroom door closed at all times but still condensation constantly ran down onto the window sill which was so nicely painted and decorated, a shame really, when I asked the reception staff they did offer another room if I wanted or the use of an oscillating fan, which I used, here again I can appreciate the staff are trying to do their best in reception to resolve the issue.
Another annoying problem with the room was the creaking from the floor of the bay on the room above, it was impossible to get to sleep until the folk above had gone to bed, it was better than any alarm clock the next morning too, the reason for this may be that the ceilings and walls had been plaster boarded with no expansion mastic, and were flexing to the joists above.
Both the bathroom and the bedroom didn't seem to have been cleaned during the stay but just had the waste bins emptied, and the bed sheets etc put into place, the floor was not vacuumed and no toilet roll replacement was left as a spare.
The sheets and towels were clean on arrival and the bed was comfortable, perhaps a notice asking visitors to leave towels on the bath if they should want them changing, within reason, may be helpful.
The hotel has an ideal location and probably on a much more pleasant bay than the Grand Hotel depending on what sort of atmosphere you like.
All in all a good stay staff very pleasant, I don't blame any of the staff here for any untidiness in the building itself it seems they all try to do their best, but probably the hotel group could do with far more investment, this may lead to less stress to all present staff and the unwanted comments they have to deal with.
I understand investment may be happening in smaller stages, but probably may need to be pushed, to higher levels if possible.
The hotel was always warm and homely and the shower and bath worked very well.
Would stay again, friendly great food. Get some money into it Brittania a good hotel with good staff look after them, and they will look after you.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Renowned for its warm Yorkshire welcome, The Clifton Hotel Scarborough offers some of the most amazing, uninterrupted sea views in Scarborough and is situated only a short distance from many of the town's attractions. This Scarborough hotel makes the perfect base for those visiting the Yorkshire Coast. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Odigeo, Expedia, TripOnline SA, Ebookers, HotelQuickly, Cancelon, LateRooms and Evoline ltd so you can book your The Clifton Hotel - Scarborough reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Clifton Hotel Scarborough
- Clifton Hotel Scarborough