“Needs work”

The Clifton Hotel - Scarborough
Ranked #24 of 26 Hotels in Scarborough
Reviewed 22 April 2014

We stayed for one night at the hotel. The staff were pleasant. The reception looks fine but the rooms not good. Damp in the room, wallpaper coming off ceiling, dusty and dirty windows(inside). We didn't pay a lot so weren't expecting a lot, but also weren't expecting what we got either. On the positive side, the breakfast was fine. We wouldn't stay again.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank L0u35
There are newer reviews for The Clifton Hotel - Scarborough

Reviewed 22 April 2014

The hotel we normally stay in was fully booked for Easter so we decided to give this a go since it had won an award in 2013 as "most improved". How I wish we hadn't, we regretted it the minute we walked through the door. We arrived at approximately 4pm. There were no parking spaces available, these have to be reserved at a rate of £6.00 per night, we had to park the car over a mile from the hotel. Dinner is served between 6-7pm, so we had a bar meal (only available until 8.30pm) and a few drinks. We went to our room about 9.30ish, the TV was so small you had to practically sit on top of it, so we didn't bother with that and decided to get an early night as we had had a long day of driving. On turning down the quilt I noticed it was wet and so were the pillows and mattress, looking up I saw a massive damp patch on the ceiling and noticed a drip on the headboard. I returned to reception and reported it and was told "we don't have anywhere to move you to we're fully booked the only thing we can do is move the bed away from the drip for you until tomorrow". The receptionist could probably tell I wasn't best pleased and then rang some other hotels in the chain to see if they had any spare rooms, the only one she could get was a room for 3 people but said they would put a camp bed in as there were 4 of us. We accepted this for the night but on arrival there it was in a dingy basement with not enough room to swing a cat in. All in all this is the worst place I have stayed in my life I would not recommend this hotel to my worst enemy in fact I would tell them to avoid it like the plague. Photo's added.

Room Tip: A different hotel would be a good idea.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
5  Thank Wendy M
Reviewed 18 April 2014

I booked a sea view room through booking.com, end up in a room at the side without sea view (a side sea view which you have to stand next to the window to see the sea)! I paid a premium almost £200 for the sea view room for two nights and I was shocked to receive this room 002! when I asked to change my room, I was told that my room is a sea view room, if I want a front facing sea view room I will have to book an Executive room (in fact this room type does not exist)! What a liar. In additinal to this, I called a day prior to check if i had a car park space reserved and I was told car park was fully booked, I end up had to park at the car park a mile away and paid in full, I'm pregnant and had to carry my stuff and to walk to the hotel, after all I was told that there was a car park space reserved for me on check in. I'm totally stressed out! Instead of celebrating our Easter Weekend away, the Clifton hotel had spoil my holiday! There are plenty hotel nearby do not book this hotel, you will regret after checked in!

• Stayed: April 2014
2  Thank ATurner76
Reviewed 14 April 2014

We enjoyed our stay at the Clifton & you can tell that renovations are being carried out, but love the look & feel of the old building :-) breakfast was nice & got you going for the day, evening meal we tried but didnt like, bit bland, but was cheap!Our room no4 ground floor was lovely, clean & relaxing :-) had a lovely time

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 April 2014

I stayed in this hotel for 2 nights with my partner, and was very disappointed and here's why;
1. Car parking is terrible (to say they have 70 odd rooms and only about 15 car parking spaces is hurendous!) To add to that if you manage to find a car parking space and want to save it... You have to pay per night! Bearing in mind you have already payed a lot to stay in the run down hotel already!
2. The staff are very rude and know nothing about customer service; on arrival when I checked in the woman on reception was adamant I had not payed for dinner and I refused to listen as I had payed for dinner for both nights when I had booked the room, the about 10 mins after arguing with her, she went and checked the booking and I had payed!
3. Staff rarely seen; was stood in the bar for about 20 mins pressing the bell provided (which did work) and still nobody so I decided to pass and retreat back to my room!
4. The room was horrid! Damp/mouldy patches on the bedroom ceiling and around the bath and on the toilet walls, tv worked but had hardly any signal so the tv interference was horrible! Mucky patches on the chairs in the bedroom, cheap toilet paper (not soft).
5. Floors wonky; bathroom floor was tilted and you couldn't even walk straight!
6. Very outdated deco and the lift!

No positives to be said about it

Deffinatly wouldn't stay here again and would advise nobody else did either

• Stayed: April 2014
7  Thank TrickyT990
Reviewed 31 March 2014

........GET ME OUT OF HERE!!!!!!
I stayed here with my wife for 2 nights 28th & 29th March. It was very disappointing especially after reading the good reviews it had got recently, we should have took more notice of the bad reviews before we booked.
Firstly I will list the positive comments,
Clean sheets
Toiletries supplied
Friendly staff both on reception and in the restaurant
Clean tables at breakfast
Short walk into town

The negatives from my point of view
ROOM
Our room 369 was very small, we had booked a standard double but this room is well below standard.
It was overlooking a back yard area not too much of a problem as we wasn't there to sit looking out of the window.
We had a no smoking room but had a very strong smell of cigarette smoke coming through from the room next door
The so called double bed was not much bigger than a single bed and not very comfy
The window frames were mouldy and rotten
Thick with dust on the bedside light shades and all around the edges of the carpet.
Some parts of the carpet had never had the Hoover used on them
The tea and coffee although supplied it was poor quality
Outdated tv, but surprisingly it worked
No hair dryer
We only had 1 bath towel and 1 hand towel each during our stay, this is not good standard when there is nowhere to dry them
Bathroom? En suite? Shower room? No it was a cupboard with toilet, sink and shower cubicle crammed into it
After having a shower you have to come out into the bedroom to get dry as there was no room to move
The toilet was stained looked as though it had never seen any bleach
The shower in the cubicle was basic and just hanging!!

BAR
The drinks are expensive at over £8 for a single vodka and tonic and a bottle of bud we only had one drink as we thought it was over priced to sit in a bar with dirty tables and no atmosphere whatsoever
That said they do a happy hour from 4-6pm on selected drinks, and there was guest staying that had 99p drinks deals, but I don't know who they had booked with to get these deals, if any one reading this knows could you please let me know for future reference elsewhere.

BREAKFAST
Buffet breakfast, have as much has you want if you like everything swimming in grease
Only thing that was hot was the serving spoons and plates

All in All
Our nights sleep was disrupted by the guests in the room above, it sounded as though they where from a circus, learning a juggling act with elephants in the room, this was going on until the early hours, that said this was not the fault of the hotel but inconsiderate guests that thought the hotel was for there sole use.

This hotel looks nice from the outside but it is very dated on the inside.
We paid £108 for a 2 night stay for the two of us and we feel we paid about £78 over the odds for the standard of hotel and room we were in.
We would not return to this hotel and would defiantly not recommend it, I just cannot understand the good reviews it has got.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Nitro57
Reviewed 30 March 2014

I have stayed at this hotel and with most budget hotels you get what you pay for it angers me people slag off the hotel but in most cases staff a brilliant and not responsible but take the flack. If you don't like shabby cheap don't go

• Stayed: October 2013