“Worth a visit”

The Clifton Hotel - Scarborough
Ranked #24 of 26 Hotels in Scarborough
Reviewed 23 May 2014

After reading the comments people said about Clifton we were not sure, but we gave it a try and to our surprise it was better than expected, the room we was allocated was tired but after speaking to Julie on reception we got a referbished room(9), admitted it was overlooking the car Park but the room was like new, the reception and bar area was clean and fresh, having a drink with a sea view nice and quiet, food was good and the best part of the hotel there are no SEAGULLS, as the Grand/Royal hotels you can't see the hotel for birds nests.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 21 May 2014

Went for a one night stay on a bank holiday weekend. Paid £79 on a late booking website. The room we were given had not been cleaned properly. It had a dusty dirty carpet, the ceiling had fallen down and an attempt at repair had been made, not a very good one. The walls and lights witches were grubby and the double bed had a single bed headboard which was surrounded by dirty marks. The TV and furniture were very tired, chipped and damaged. The room was rather small yet this didn't bother us. I don't think it had been looked at in a while. I really wonder why they rented it to us, wasting our time having to check out, get a refund and then have to find somewhere else. Avoid the place. I took photos, they're disgusting.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank neogrunge
Reviewed 19 May 2014

I stayed at the clifton Hotel from the 12th may 2014 til the 16th may 2014. I was a bit worried after reading reviews about the hotel on here but you know what it was one of the best hotels I have stayed in. Yes it's old and yes it does need a bit of work but the reception/lounge area and dining hall are tidy...room 121 that I stayed in had a fab view of the sea and beach area...all staff were friendly and extremely helpful...food was great and there was a good choice for breakfast and evening meal...waiters/waitress and staff were always checking that all food and drinks containers were topped up and dirty plates were always whisked away quickly. I did make a suggestion that they put numbers and arrows pointing out room directions and signs pointing towards reception. The lift was a little slow but it does work. Everywhere was clean and tidy...a little hoovering could have been done in rooms but some areas were difficult to get to so understand why certain areas were not hoovered. Cleaners were friendly and always said hello every morning...people never mention the cleaners and without the cleaners the hotel would not run.I know sometimes a hotel may not be good..but from my trip to your hotel..some people are far too fussy and don't know when they are in a good place..I heard people moaning about staff and food and a lot of other things but it's like hey if you want five star..go book five star and stop moaning..it's an old hotel...money is probably in short supply and renovation has to be done when it can. I loved the location of this hotel and I'm planning on going back next year to stay for the whitby goth weekend. I would certainly tell people to stay in this hotel.

Room Tip: room 120 and 121 have amazing views...room 120 has a bay window which gives panoramic views across t...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank sian w
Reviewed 18 May 2014 via mobile

To be honset I didn't actually stay at the hotel in the end but thought I should write a review to get out there the unprofessional and down right rude attitude of the lady I spoke to.
I booked a room for one night via booking.com and within a couple of hours received a phone call from the hotel saying they couldn't accommodate me, I was alittle surprised as there were plenty of rooms left when I booked, she apologised for the inconvenience and said I'd been moved to the Grand, I explained I'd chosen the Clifton over the Grand as it was free patking at the Clifton and a nightmare to park around the Grand, she suggested using the NCP nearby, I then said could I be a little cheeky and ask for a room upgrade due to the inconvenience. ....which was met with headmistress treatment and a firm NO! I was then told she was 'well within her rights to move me to another hotel' I replied by explaining I was well within my rights to cancel my reservation. ....which I did immediately. I then checked online and rooms were still available to be booked. Needless to say I shall not be visiting the Clifton in the future. On the plus side we ended up at a lovely, friendly and spotlessly clean guest house called Marine View!

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Rob_D8888
Reviewed 17 May 2014

Avoid room 7 on the ground floor. I'm sure it used to be a store room or such like. All the windows are patterned glass and high so that you can't see out of them. Most of them are locked and the one that opened was too high up to reach. It was noisy with people (staff?) going in and out of the fire exit next to the door of the room (perhaps to put rubbish in the industrial bins). The bed is hard.
The hotel is at the quiet end of Scarborough.
Book your parking space to be sure of being able to leave your car somewhere.
Good points - self serve breakfast was good an hot, friendly reception staff, clean room, tea and coffee making facilities in room.
Bus trip from South Bay to North Bay £1 but stops early evening. Beach very clean.
and....No we didn't go on a break from a 'deal site' so that's why the room was bad. We should have complained at the time but the receptionist doesn't show you your room and by the time we got to it and realised how bad it was we were too tired to complain.

Room Tip: Have a look at your room before you accept it.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 May 2014 via mobile

The hotel is being decorated bit by bit. Whilst we were there the reception and bar area had a revamp and looks pretty good
Problem is this hotel requires more than a lick of paint as you can see beyond the surface that roofs leak, plaster requires replacing etc
But saying that aside we enjoyed our week stay here - staff are friendly and the hotel feels homely
Food is excellent. Set out as a carvery and is pretty good. Always two meat options plus spuds and veg etc
Bar is small but well stocked and reasonably priced
We had room 485 that had beautiful sea views and as was a corner room we could see up and down the prom. Only complaint was the windows are high so couldn't sit and see the views so had to stand

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 May 2014

Really enjoyed our 3 day break. The hotel was very clean throughout, although the bedrooms were a little dated the beds were very comfy. The reception rooms were lovely as they had just been refurbished and on the nights we were there entertainment was provided. The breakfast was lovely could not be faulted as were the staff, all very pleasant and couldn't do enough to help, Thoroughly enjoyed our visit and would definitely make a return visit.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends