“Wonderful break”

Ranked #26 of 28 Hotels in Scarborough
Stamford Bridge, United Kingdom
“Wonderful break”
Reviewed 28 June 2014

Had booked via wowcher for our wedding anniversary. Arrived at lunchtime and received a very warm welcome. Our room was ready and we checked I. Room very good, clean and bright.

Evening meal was a buffet with the choice of four main courses. We both thoroughly enjoyed the meal and the buffet breakfast the following morning.

Super hotel and would stay again.

3 Thank 649gordon

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (437)
Huddersfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 June 2014 via mobile

Just left the clifton hotel in Scarborough. Booked a twin room for my daughter and myself via website. Room 116 was oppresive. Yes it was clean but it only had 1 tiny window up near roof for natural light and there was no air flow. Inside room, strangely shaped, so difficult to access seats as you had to squeeze past bed. Very noisy water system. Got the feeling it was a store cupboard until recently. Breakfast was very poor. Arrived half an hour before end of service but no glasses, no hot coffee, remnants of bacon and scrambled egg in trays. Wanted to make comments at checkout but simply gestured to throw keys through hole by person sat at desk. Didnt want anything fancy... Guess I got what I asked for!

Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank huddstyke

Travellers are raving about these Scarborough hotels

Gorleston-on-Sea, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 June 2014

Just returned from a 4 night stay at the Clifton Hotel. Room 482 3 Star plus, Dinner 3 Star plus, Breakfast 4 Star and ALL staff 5 Star. Negatives: Entertainment on only 2 out of the 4 nights and no slice of lemon available with our Gin and Tonics!!! Really enjoyed our stay and would recommend Clifton to friends and family. Special thanks to Tour Manager Eddie and Ian our coach driver.

1 Thank linda l
Barnsley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 June 2014

We didn't even get to the hotel. They called me an hour after setting off to say they were full and had booked me in at a sister hotel. (the grand, that I also would not recommend after the treatment we received there!) I understand that this can happen from time to time so I said this was fine and went to the new hotel. On arrival there the room was less than satisfactory for my 6 week old, 3 year old my partner and myself. However when I asked to be moved to a better room I was told there weren't any and to ring the hotel I had booked as it wasn't their problem! So when I called the Clifton almost in tears after a long journey with 2 small children and an awful room they said there was nothing they could do as I had now checked in at the grand! The manager I spoke to was rude and extremely unhelpful and I ended up asking for my money back and finding another hotel at 8.30 pm on a Friday night! Beware of this chain there is a reason they make you pay on arrival! Having worked in hotels myself for 10 years I understand that mistakes can happen but I also expect some level cos decent customer service and the hotel to at least attempt to rectify matters when they do!!!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Rochelle W
Banbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 June 2014

You need to pre book a parking space otherwise you have a problem parking. We we lucky and have a blue badge so we could park out on the street. The greeting at the reception was pleasent, but unless you pay by cash there is a charge if paying by debit/credit card. The room (No 7) was a double but small, The back of the bathroom door had been kicked in, which we reported so hopefully it has been replaced. Tetleys only £2.00 pint, I ordered 2 large G & T's (£2.40 per single) £9.60 for the gin and another £6.20 for the tonic. Had Tetleys the next time. Breakfast is self service. The exterior of the front of the hotel has had a lick of paint, pity about the back. Would we stay again, yes, it's also close to CoGoni's restaurant which is the best in Scarborough.

2 Thank CDL111
Paisley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 June 2014

My husband and I usually go self-catering when we come down to Yorkshire, but took the opportunity of a special deal at the Clifton. We started off with a 2 night booking, and ended up staying 5 nights. We were absolutely delighted that we did and most certainly will be back in the future, all being well. Everything was to our entire satisfaction and great value for money with excellent food, clean rooms and friendly staff.

1 Thank Catherine S
Cumbria
Reviewed 22 June 2014

We have been going to the Clifton for a few years and it's been going down but this time we were pleasantly surprised, they are slowly refurbishing it the room had been decorated new carpets and beds + bedding duvets instead of old fashioned sheets and blankets. Breakfast buffet was very good. Most of the staff were very friendly the only downside the parking a bit of a nightmare but you can reserve parking at £6 a day.

1 Thank Heather S