“Wouldn't stay again if you paid me!”

The Clifton Hotel - Scarborough
Ranked #24 of 26 Hotels in Scarborough
Reviewed 10 August 2014

I really don't know where to start except by saying that this is the WORST hotel I've ever stayed in. on arrival the reception staff didn't smile and were Moody. The room looked like a university form small, claustrophobic and grotty! The floor was slanted so badly it was disorientating and there was a hole in the floor board! The window wouldn't open properly so it made it even worse on a hot day. The hotel is in poor condition and the Bannister was wobbly with bits of plaster falling off and at 6 months pregnant frightened me it's a disaster waiting to happen. The breakfast was disgusting. Everything was cheap quality like warm or burnt! It was not good value for money I've stayed in basic b&b in Scarborough and had a much better experience. I will never stay here or any britannia hotels ever again if this is the standard!

• Stayed: August 2014
1  Thank happy_travellers142
There are newer reviews for The Clifton Hotel - Scarborough

Reviewed 9 August 2014

My husband and I took our daughter and granddaughter on a mini break.
As you approach the hotel it looks very imposing with a great location and excellent views.
When we got in side it soon became evident that the interior had seen better days looking tired and worn.
We were very disappointed with the reception staff who were not at all welcoming the person who initially greated us took our documentation off us then she went to the back of the reception area where she was discussing our ??documents occasional glancing over at us like we were going to rob a bank for at least five mins.
We had two small dogs which were very well behaved and for which we we recharged forty pounds. We were lectured about our responsibilities in a very patronising manner.
Our room were on the third floor which meant we had to take the lift which was an Experience in its self for example the door opened on to a busy corridor if some one was walking from the other
Direction they could get a nasty injury ! Also to hold the door open then to hold the grill door to stop it closing automatically was difficult to do.
The rooms were basic but adequate
The dining area was pleasant enough the staff were very helpful.
The menu was very good with plenty of choice/variety .
I realise we did get a very good deal for this trip but the stay could have been do much better.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 7 August 2014

Value for money, this was ace. (BBE, wine and fruit bowl) A bit of a blast from the past for me. Our room 120 had a good view of the North Bay (as well as the bowls centre). The room had been recently up dated and looked good. Public rooms looked good too.
The serve yourself buffet didn't look to promising but the food tasted (very) good.
We had to park on the road but the hotel reception provided us with a parking disc to cover for an hour, late afternoon /early morning.
Staff very friendly and helpful.Entertainment available at the sister hotel.
When weather is good Scarborough can't be beaten and neither can this location! We'll be back.

Reviewed 6 August 2014

OK, before I start, I know we didn't pay a lot - for the sake of the review, I will leave off any comment about the abysmal food served in the restaurant, but simple cleanliness should not be a problem to a hotel in this day and age. Booked double seaview room, and were given room 245. The furniture in the bedroom was tired and in bad repair - to be honest I don't think a charity shop would offer it for sale. Yes, fabulous views from all angles, but the bathroom was absolutely filthy. I refused to take a shower in there, it was so bad. Thankfully only there for one night and we went on to Premier Inn the next night and a good room/bathroom. Would not recommend the Clifton at any price.

1  Thank Lynne O
Reviewed 6 August 2014

I stayed two nights at the Clifton Hotel in Scarborough with my three year old great grandson. The staff was really helpfull and nothing was too much trouble for them and they are good with the children. We was lucky to have a sea view and the rooms was clean and the beds very comfortable.we had breakfast and evening meal but the second night we ate out as there wasn't much to choose from from a great grandma

Room Tip: Bay windows are nice and sunny
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 6 August 2014

Well what can I say, after reading the reviews we stayed there for 2 nights with an open mind. we booked parking in advance which was well worth the fee as it was allocated and waiting for us on arrival. The staff were very nice and helpful and yes the rooms were tired and in need of a serious update and clean but we loved the location and as its part of the Britannia brand and twinned with the Grand we knew what to expect having stayed at the Grand previously. The breakfast was hot and was ok far better than the Grand which was a bonus so all in all not bad, we will stay again hopefully by then they will have spent some money on the hotel to bring it up to a decent standard. All in all a lovely 2 day break.

Room Tip: Try and get the new rooms near the car park.
1  Thank Y1263CMRichard_W
Reviewed 6 August 2014 via mobile

My girlfriend and I went to Scarborough on my birthday and stayed here for one night and please believe me we were glad it was for one night.

The hotel it's self looks amazing on the cliff over looking the sea, and when you get into the lobby it looks ok and well run.

The staff were friendly and helpful but that's where it all ends for us sorry to say.

The lift is something from a horror movie and made my girlfriend feel somewhat enclosed.

The room was dated and small and the house keeping could of done with learning how to clean a room before we stayed there. The bed was hard and very uncomfortable. The only thing that was great was the view from the window.

Sorry but wouldn't recommend this to young people or couples.

To sum it up then.... It's beautiful to look at and the views are second to none from the rooms. But it's dated and the rooms could do with cleaning much better and updating the furniture and amenities.

Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple