“Don't be put off with "other" reviews - give the hotel a chance and experience it for yourself!”

The Clifton Hotel - Scarborough
Ranked #24 of 26 Hotels in Scarborough
Reviewed 15 August 2009

I had read reviews, albiet negative about the "Clifton hotel" and was extremely nervous about what "nightmare" I was bringing my family to, for our Summer break! This lead me to calling the hotel one week before our holiday, in order to speak to the Manager -Julie, in order to share this concern. Julie was very nice and assured me that our family room would be clean but unfortunately it would not be a front facing room, however, I was still worried about the different claims about smells in the room; food etc.
With intrepidation, we arrived at the Clifton, in order to embark on our five day holiday. On arrival, unfortunately, there was no parking spaces but when checking in, we were welcomed by Julie, the Manager and she offered to move her car, in order for us to unpack and subsequently park for the night. After our telephone conversation the previous week, Julie personally took myself and my family to our room, in order to ensure that we were happy with it. When we entered, it was not one of the refurbished rooms and was a bit "tired" but is was clean and tidy, so was suitable for our five day break.
In respect of the food, again, we were nervous but we dined for breakfast and dinner in the hotel's ballroom which had a lovely ambience and the food (different menu each night) was lovely and the waiting staff were really pleasant and extremely attentive. There was also entertainment at the hotel and a singer called "Joel" was especially good!
At the end of our holiday, we were sad to leave but also felt guilty that we had read all the reviews and did not have any negative experiences...however, if I could give a good tip, prior to your stay at the Clifton, phone up and pre-book a car park space, as there is limited parking in the surrounding area.
Thank you Julie and your team for a wonderful holiday - we wll be back - "The Gordon Family, Glasgow"

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (1,458)

Reviewed 12 August 2009

After making the mistake of booking the hotel after recieving a good deal with travelzoo before reading the reviews I was a little reluctant to visit! The hotel is extremely dated and worn. The carpets are bare in places and taped together with gaffer tape!! The room, on first impressions didnt look as bad as I expected. However, on closer inspection, the carpet did not look as if it had been hoovered for a very long time and we could clearly see previous guests grey hairs stuck to it! The bathroom was tiny and a struggle, being 8 months pregnant to actually squeeze in!!! The bathroom floor was filthy with dirt and hairs all over it and the shower was covered in mould. There was also no plug hole cover in the shower, just a hole where it should have been. On the up side, the bedding was clean!
The evening meal was included so we ventured down to the restaurant. After witnessing arguments between the waiting staff we were served our meal (in record time! they like to rush you through!!). The food was ok but would certainly not have paid the stated price on the menu for it!!! I certainly would not reccommend this hotel and will definately not be returning!

Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 August 2009

We booked well in advance for a stay for my son and daughter in law (with our young grandchildren) so we could attend a family reunion. When we arrived, after being delayed on the M25 & M1, it was quite late with very tired children. The room we had asked for was not ready. It did not have cots for the children. It was small and very old and smelly. The night porter looked like he had just finsihed a long shift somewhere else said that it was not possible to get cots this time of night (about 10.30pm). After making very loud demands of him he shuffled off to find some and retuned with two trave cots, and becuase the room was so small had to place one blocking a 'Fire Door'. The next day was no better. You que for breakfast which is served to you so you don't take too much and you make your own toast! Reception were unhelpful and so we moved out. We sat in the lounge area until the bill was sorted and my grandduaghter wanted to crawl around - but not on those carpets. It is one step up from a DSS hostel - avoid

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 20 July 2009

Have just returned from a 5 night Easy Break.. An impressive building, must have been a lovely hotel in its former days, sadly very run down, with poor quality of service and in need of major upgrading and repair.
Initial room allocated extremely small with back view of buildings, despite having requested sea view. Give reception staff credit, they did successfully accommodate us to a better more spacious room with sea view. Shower spacious, but leaking wastepipe from the wash hand basin, which was the smallest basin we have encountered. Despite putting a bucket underneath it, the leak was never picked up by room cleaning service staff. Room was never cleaned in our five day stay, the only evidence of maid service was a change of bin liner and on two occassions, towels were changed.
Reception, lounge and dining room areas were of reasonable decor and furnishings, clean, but as so often with these hotels, as you go up to bedrooms, they are poorly furnished and unclean, which was the case in this hotel.
Food was of poor quality and if the cost of the evening meal as quoted on the menu, it was disgraceful. Hot breakfasts often cold.
Disappointing to discover that a £5.00 per night was required to be paid to park car in hotel car park.
Would not reccommend this hotel to anyone

Patricia & Angus
Paisley

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 July 2009

My partner booked an overnight package of bed breakfast and evening meal for £59 for the two of us. Certainly to me this represents excellent value for money. There is no denying that The Clifton is in need of a lick of paint and a bit of TLC, however when we arrived we found that our parking space had been reserved as arranged and the receptionist was very friendly and helpful. Our room had a lovely view,was clean and tidy and very spacious. At dinner the waiting staff were very courteous and the service was prompt. Both myself and my partner enjoyed our meals. The price of drinks in the bar were a bit ambitious but not overly excessive by hotel standards. We enjoyed our stay at the Clifton and would happily stay again if we secured a deal at the same rate.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank jen2den
Reviewed 6 July 2009

My partener and i went to stay at The Clifton for our 3rd anniversary . We had requested a room with a sea view .On arriving we were given a room at the top of the hotel with a "sea view " at the back of the hotel !! The only sea we could sea ( ha ha ) was a dripping tap !!! . My partener went down to see the receptionist about this and was informed that we had been "bumped" for some people who were staying longer and therefore took priority ! We had booked the room 3 months prior . I went down to ask why this had happened and was met by an extreeeemly rude and uninterested receptionist who told me that she would give us a bottle of wineas a "softener " ( as she put it ). When i asked to see the manager she told me i would have to come back the next day as she was on holiday !!! The rooms are shabby to say the least and you have to pay extra to park in their carpark ! I have to honestly say that the whole experience was horendous . Afterwards we asked for a refund and were told that we would have to wait till they spoke to the manager !! DON'T GO THERE !! NOT WORTH THE £120 WE PAID !!!

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 June 2009

On first arriving at the Clifton we noticed from the outside it needed a coat of paint. That was to put it mildly! The comments regarding the car park and reception staff have already been made and I completely agree. When we booked the two night break with Travel Zoo I spoke to Sally on reservations for the Clifton first who advised me that she had reserved a room on the first floor for us which was well worth the extra £30 we were paying for a "Sea View". This room was not available for some reason not explained to us and we were given a five bedded family room on the second floor. We later found out that this room had already been refused by a couple who arrived before us.
The reception staff were most unhelpful and offered no apology for us not being allocated the room we had booked. The Saturday evening meal was apauling but improved by Sunday,breakfast was o.k. The dining room staff were excellent. This hotel needs money spending on it or closing down.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple