1,590 results
All reviews north bay plenty of hot water bay window plenty of choice julie castle
Reviewed 3 November 2018 via mobile

Superb food and fantastic staff nothing was too much Trouble for the staff
Stunning views over the bay and from my window I could see the moon eerily above Scarborough Castle like a scene from a Hammer Horror film
Loved this hotel highly recommend

Date of stay: September 2018
Trip type: Travelled solo
5  Thank AngelaGoldenhair
Reviewed 28 October 2018

This is our second stay at The Clifton, and it was just as we expected. We had a large, comfortable room with a sea view. The staff were friendly and the hotel was superbly clean. We stayed half board, and the food was plentiful and very good. The gentleman working in the dining room, (We were not sure if he was head waiter, or the dining room manager) was exceptional and went out of his way to help. Couldn't be faulted.

Room tip: Request a sea view if possible.
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
2  Thank 11grace
Reviewed 20 October 2018

Just back from 5day holiday and can't fault hotel, we were on the 3rd floor with great seaview. Food was buffet style and quite a good choice . Room was spotless. This in the quiet end of Scarborough, so you really could do with a car as bus service not great, although open top bus passed quite near but again very steep to get to hotel. If we were to visit Scarborough again, we would consider using this hotel

Date of stay: October 2018
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
4  Thank retired10Scotland
Reviewed 14 October 2018 via mobile

Arrived Friday around 3pm. No parking in hotel as full, parked on road with a parking meter ticket for 2hours free parking then it was free from 5pm and all day Sunday. So we saved £6 parking ticket that the hotel charges! I booked 2 sea view double rooms half board with hotels .com for my Fathers 86th birthday as a treat. We was on 1st floor my father on 2nd, I would say our room was nice and big, plenty room, big bathroom with corner bath and shower over. The bed was actually on a slant, so feet in air and blood rush to head! we swapped pillows to allow for this top n tail. But if the bedroom was changed around this would eliminate slanting bed! Nice sea view but no chairs by the window so had to stand to take in view. On further checking window by the bed had 2 dead flies and saw dust in pile. 1st floor stairs was clean but 2nd floor stairs are filthy, stained and very dirty. The food is another level! Not mentioned any where on website that they only serve dinner from 6 to 7.30pm and it is a buffet style meal. Dried out chicken no Kiev! no garlic butter running out of this frozen rubbish, food has been sat under warm lights for hours! Fruit cocktail was not fresh fruit but out of a tin! Frozen lemon cheese cake with soggy wet base. Terrible and certainly not worth the £208 that I parted with, I really feel ripped off and misslead and more shockingly my fathers room was very small and no bigger than a cupboard! I did not know this until after 10 pm when we was having a drink and a young couple was complaining about their room to be told that they could not be moved as there was NO other rooms available, on hearing this my father told me about his room! I am horrified that this hotel charged me such extortionate rates for rooms that are not even on parr! When I did mention this to the receptionist she basically couldn’t care less and said had I complained the night before they would have moved him! Even after 10pm! That I don’t believe for a minute. I do not believe that I have to check rooms to see if they are that hugely different when I paid in good faith for 2 sea view double rooms! so why did the tell the young couple there was no other rooms available! To top the nightmare off! The fire alarm went off at around 1.30am as some stupid idiot decided to set the smoke alarm off, there was no staff doing a roll call to make sure everyone was out and it was the fireman that eventually told everyone they could go back inside.
On the web site it also states NO PETS but there was loads of dogs in the premises in the bedrooms! Not good if you have animal fur allergies! This is one chain of hotels that do not care about cleanliness, pride and customer service. I cannot get over the fact that I was ripped off by a hotel and Hotels.com should not be helping this hotel to rip people off either. This hotel does not even have updated pictures of the rooms or surrounding area. PLEASE AVOID unless you don’t mind dirty surroundings and awful food and surly staff and is very dog friendly!

Trip type: Travelled with family
6  Thank angnorr
Reviewed 14 October 2018

Located above the North Bay in Scarborough, the Clifton offers spectacular sea views. We visited with friends and had two nights dinner, bed and breakfast. The food in the self service buffet restaurant was very good and the staff were friendly and helpful.

The hotel is dated, and parking limited, but the rooms are warm there's plenty of hot water and it offered good value for money.

Room tip: Buy your drinks between noon and 6pm they are cheeper.
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends