“dont pay much or you will be dissapointed”

The Clifton Hotel - Scarborough
Ranked #24 of 26 Hotels in Scarborough
Reviewed 6 May 2010

Hotel has great position with excerlent views and the food is quite good, but there it ends. I was given a room on the forth floor The smell on entry was almost overpowering tha damp fusty smell, curtains hanging off rail, dressingtable worn right through the veneer and dirty.The state of the velor covered chair was filthy in all not a pleasure to be in at all. I have stayed in a selection of scarborough hotels but this does not measure up to even the cheapest of bed and breakfasts.To be honest would advise against it if you are paying £30 b&b here thgen it is to much as for even at that price there is so much better available in scarborough. English rose hotels should be asshamed at not keeping a hotel in such a good possition in better order.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled solo
juliebellwood, General Manager at The Clifton Hotel - Scarborough, responded to this reviewResponded 18 May 2010

Thank you for taking the time to post a comment. Unfortunately, as you did not mention any of this at the time of your stay it's difficult for me to comment on your room. Had you told me at the time, I would have gladly moved you to a room more suited to your tastes.Once again thank you.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,471)

Reviewed 4 May 2010

My husband and I together with 2 friends booked at this hotel for a 2 night stay. Although is states free parking - forget it ! every space was reserved ( approx 20 spaces) and considering they have 70 rooms then totally indadequate, have to reserve for £5 per person or use the street facility for £5. Staff totally unprofessional upon greeting and demand payment upfront for balance - I refused until I had seen the room and thank god I did !!!! I cannot express enough the condition of the hotel corridors, decor, carpets are toally disgusting and I am sure the YMCA could offer much better. We complained and were offered an upgraded room for an extra £10 per night - my god it was worse ! cracked tiles in bathrooms tired tatty rooms. We demanded a refund and was offered alternative rooms at their sister hotel the Royal and boy what a difference this hotel was, even though it was only rated a 3 star it was far superior to the Clifton, fantastic friendly staff and great facilities and clean rooms. I would advise any respectable , sane person to avoid the Clifton it has seen its day and should either be closed down or undergo a major refurbishment !!!!!

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled with friends
juliebellwood, General Manager at The Clifton Hotel - Scarborough, responded to this reviewResponded 21 May 2010

Firstly thank You for your comments. I am sorry that on this occasion the Clifton Hotel did not deliver to your expectations, although i must say i do find your criticism very difficult to accept. I do however feel i must point p out to other readers of this forum that you were in the hotel for an extremely short period, so to describe the hotel in the scathing manor in which you have is very unfair.

And as you mention in your review, we addressed your needs both quickly and to your satisfaction by moving you to our sister hotel. As such i do feel that the comment regarding my staff are totally unjustified - what more could they have done?

Regarding the hotel car park; being a bank holiday many guests that weekend had chosen to reserve a parking space. Unfortunately when your party arrived the car park was already full (30 spaces - reserved spaces are £5 per CAR/night). There is however ample free on street parking directly outside the Hotel.

You descirbe our sister hotel The Royal as 'only rated a 3 star' - therefore i can only assume you are used to 4+ star accommodation. The Clifton Hotel is a 2 star budget family hotel and your booking was for 2 standard double rooms booked via an extremely good value special offer. I can only suggest that if you were to visit us again that perhaps your tastes and expectations would be better served by booking one of our superior rooms.

In conclusion i can only express my dissappointment once again that you have chosen to write such a review despite us resloving your issues immediately. Anyone concerned by this review needs to only take a moment to read previous reviews to see that the majority of our guests find our hotel, service and rooms to be most acceptable.

Reviewed 3 May 2010

Just had a three day stop here with a seaview large comfortable room, good food service and attentive staff, first visit but definatly not the last real good value on a traditional basis - Thank You

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple
juliebellwood, General Manager at The Clifton Hotel - Scarborough, responded to this reviewResponded 12 May 2010

Thank you for your comments regarding your stay at the Clifton Hotel we look forward to welcoming you in the future.

Reviewed 2 May 2010

Having read the 'dirty' review we were well pleased with our 2 day break. Our room in the tower had an incredible view in all directions and was perfectly adequate.The breakfast saw us through to the evening meal which in itself was very good.Yes, the lift is very old fashioned but the hotel was built before lifts and this was obviously added later in the only space available - if you dont like it there is a fine staircase.The staff were all friendly and we drank Theakstones! An incredibly good value stay - we felt that we were robbing them.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your kind comments with regards to your stay at The Clifton Hotel, we look forward to welcoming you in the future.

Reviewed 26 April 2010

Firstly we booked the last minute break via travelzoo who we use on a regular occasion with no disappointment. £30 per person per night bed, breakfast & dinner.
However the Clifton let us down some what, if it wasn't for the spectacular views I would have moved to another hotel. Arrived at hotel in motorbike gear at 2pm told we couldn't have our room until 3pm even though it was ready. We had to get changed in the toilets!!

The room was small but clean with updated en suite, view to the rear of hotel over looking the car park but fine. we noticed the bed was broken & not a single spring left in the mattress!! Asked for new bed & we got a new room. Fantastic we thought they even said it was an up grade!! We were moved to a very dated 4th floor room with no shower!! It didn't look clean & I was reluctant to stay. The view was fantastic though over looking the bay.
Decided to give it a go never the less. Evening meal was very 70's which caters for the masses in the hotel i.e we were the youngest couple I am 29yrs my partner 41.
The second evening meal was better beef & yorkshire pud but paid for the it the next morning!! Breakfast wasn't much better, grape fruit, prunes, cereal & toast or you can pay an extra £5 for full english...we are so glad we didn't pay the extra on looking at other peoples plates.
This hotel needs bringing up to date.
The staff are very helpful & friendly. Views are fantastic & the location ideal. In the end I had a really nice time but that was down to the great weather and company.
Clifton hotel will remain a 2* until the food & rooms improve. I would re-visit when the improvements have been made.
P.S the hotel is currently being decorated & we were told some of the rooms have been renovated. If you are going to stay here ask for one of the new rooms.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple

I am sorry that on this occasion we did not deliver to your expectations whilst staying at the Clifton Hotel.
As far as the cleanliness is concerned out Housekeeping department strive to meet high standards and it is upsetting when we do not deliver. Perhaps if you had aired your comments during your stay, rather than after your departure we could have moved you to a room more fitting to your expectations.
Regarding your comments on the food i have to disagree as you can see from previous comments.

Reviewed 26 April 2010

The views were lovely. Our room had a pleasant view and was very clean. The halls were dated, but having said that, there appears to be an update in process and given the size of the building that is going to take some time.
Unfortunately, (because of the age of the building), the hotel bedrooms are difficult to access for disabled people. My 85 year old Mother's small scooter would not fit into the lift because of its extremely narrow access. The staff immediately had a wheelchair delivered for us from Scarborough which was very helpful. However, even with the wheel chair I struggled to get it into the lift and someone older or less healthy than myself would really have had problems. However, I would rate the hotel very highly for the friendliness of the staff and their willingness to be helpful. They could not be faulted in any way.
I had booked the hotel through Travel Zoo on an amazingly cheap deal. Dinner was adequate but had I paid full price for it I would not have been as happy. Very good starters and puddings but the main courses were generally bland or served with inappropriate side dishes. Having said that, I had no difficulty when asking that my Lasagne was served with salad rather than the prescribed boiled vegetables (this appeared to me to be an odd combination). Breakfast was very good.
I would certainly return to the hotel on a deal but not with anyone who had disabilities.

• Stayed: April 2010
juliebellwood, General Manager at The Clifton Hotel - Scarborough, responded to this reviewResponded 5 May 2010

Thank you for your comments, and yes i agree the staff here at the Clifton are always Friendly and always will try to do that little bit more to help. We look forward to welcoming you in the future.

Reviewed 25 April 2010

We stayed for a weekend break when this hotel was very busy. The front line staff were unhurried but very efficient which meant that no-one waited long in the dining room or the bar. They were very respectful and friendly and worked as a team. The view is superb from the front. The whole of the North Bay beach could be seen from our room. The hotel is a Victorian building with thick walls so other guests cannot be heard in neighbouring rooms which is a bonus. Our bathroom was tiny and perhaps it would have been better to have a shower room only. There is no double glazing so the surf can be noisy at night. All this and Theakstons Bitter on draught, my husband was in heaven.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple
juliebellwood, General Manager at The Clifton Hotel - Scarborough, responded to this reviewResponded 3 May 2010

Thank you for your kind comments and yes i do agree the views of the North Bay from the Clifton Hotel are stunning.
We look forward to welcoming you in the future.