“Scenic location on south cliff within easy walk of town center”

Mansion House Scarborough
Ranked #15 of 183 Scarborough B&B and Inns
Bangladesh
“Scenic location on south cliff within easy walk of town center”
Reviewed 28 September 2013

I normally stay in another part of town but Scarborough was packed for the August bank holiday weekend. The Mansion House had a last minute cancellation and I thankfully managed to reserve a room.

My room was at the very top of the hotel, which has no lift, but that exercise, and the walk into town, didn't spoil my stay. The hotel is modern, well appointed, with good rooms and has a very large front room (big enough to seat 10-20 people.

The staff were really helpful during my stay. I'd say they went out of their way to make me feel welcome and to help me out.

The breakfast was excellent. I had to waddle away, far heavier, after my four day stay. I'd recommend this hotel to any sort of guest, especially families.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (168)
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 September 2013

We only spent one night at the Mansion House because work commitments prevented anything longer. But it was enough to feel very relaxed and refreshed afterwards. The hotel is full of little touches that make you feel special - like the welcome glass of wine (or a non-alcoholic drink if you prefer) on arrival. The staff are friendly, helpful and efficient. The breakfast waitresses were attentive without being intrusive and the scrambled eggs and smoked salmon were divine.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MorningAJ
Leeds
Reviewed 11 September 2013

The hotel was fine, massive bathroom and twin beds were fine. There is a big living room and we enjoyed our complimentary wines looking out at sea. It is close to the spa, which I thought was the nicer part of the beach. It is a 10 minute walk from town but that was fine for us. The breakfast was very good and lots of it.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank KJB1986
leominster
Reviewed 9 September 2013

We stayed at Mansion House for 3 nights this last weekend, Wonderful stay, friendly, helpful staff, good breakfast.
We stayed in sea view room 10, very clean, beds very comfortable.
Highly recommended,

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank swaneck
England
Reviewed 2 September 2013

Heard this joke? When is a hotel not a hotel? When it’s a bed and breakfast place! Alright I know that’s not funny but neither is it funny paying £95 a night for a rather average room in what is described as the only 5 star establishment in town, this being Scarborough.

My wife and I had come to Scarborough to visit the Stephen Joseph theatre. We searched on the Internet for a suitable hotel. Admittedly the choices looked fairly dire. We selected the Mansion House Hotel (this being the description used for their website) because we mistakenly believed it to be a small boutique hotel located on the south and more peaceful side of the harbour area.

Our uninviting room on the first floor had the usual pine furniture, redolent of many a B & B, and was quite small. You know you are in a B & B when at breakfast time the wafting of fried bacon and eggs permeate the rooms. Our room in no way reflected that shown on the hotel’s webpage.

The bathroom was of an acceptable size but not luxurious.

Breakfast was competent and acceptable.

Are the five stars justified? In my opinion for such a category one might expect a certain luxurious level of decoration and comfort; that was in no way evident in any of the public rooms and areas! The 5 stars were awarded by enjoyEngland.com. Another awarded by the same organisation only amounted to a ‘silver’ award. Sadly, I have to admit, we were persuaded, in our initial booking, by such claims to standards. We have learnt these standard certifications, awarded by such organisations, count for little.

My overall assessment of the Mansion House must be average and certainly not up to what one might expect of 5 stars. Clearly the charge of £95 per night was exorbitant.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank RealityEngland
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 September 2013

I have just come back from staying at the Mansion House Hotel today. I felt I had to get online and give this hotel some really wonderful feedback.
The hotel and staff are warm and welcoming. The rooms are really excellent with everything you could possibly need.
I would definitely stay at this hotel in the future and would recommend to anyone.
May I just mention Louise and Andrew and all the staff.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank Eileen R
Lincoln, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 August 2013

We stayed from Fri - Mon over August bank holiday, really nice touch was a welcome drink while we checked in, we stayed in is sea view room and on the top floor, with no lift and lots of stairs you feel the burn! Excellent breakfast lots of choice, great staff , bed was slightly uncomfy but that is to our preference (husband couldnt sleep) all in all a very nice place, made to feel very welcome and would definatly stop again. A thank you to the staff for our anniversary card, we forgot to write in the comments book before we left but more people will see this :) We hope to return again.

Room Tip: If you have trouble with stairs ask for a low floor room as there are no lifts.