After reading some of the dreadful reviews on here I wasn't sure about this place, but decided to risk it and buy a groupon voucher for 2 nights with dinners and breakfasts (£79). To be honest that's about what it was worth, very glad I didn't pay full price or I would have been very disappointed instead of just a little.
1. The staff: the chef who checked us in and took our dinner order the first night was very nice and friendly, the bar girl quite surly, the lady serving breakfast quite pleasant. Little bit shocked to see a girl of about 10 or 11 helping to serve breakfast!
2. "Hotel" is a bit misleading, it is more like a pub with rooms to let. (if this were clearer there might not be so many angry reviews on tripadvisor!)
3. If a hotel says it has a restaurant, you don't expect to have to eat dinner in the bar. Also you would expect the hotel to have a separate check in desk, we had to stand at the bar. - That said, the food was ok, dinner was standard pub/wetherspoons kind of food, (though not much variety) and breakfast was quite good.
4. The room was clean and tidy and quite nice, bathroom a bit sad, plaster coming off, no bath, no soap or shampoo or anything. There were clean towels and tea-making stuff, but the quilt looked like it was 50years old and had never been washed. Could do with a coat of paint and new linen.
All in all it was a decent place, I don't feel ripped off, but nothing to write home about and I probably wouldn't go back. Shame because it has the potential to be much nicer, with just some redecorating and attention to details.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- We offer a centrally located hotel opposite Scarborough Railway Station just a 2 minute walk from the town centre and 10 minutes from the South Bay. We benefit from our own parking facilities which are provided free of charge to our hotel guests. Our hotel is very old, dating back to the 1800's, which adds plenty of history and character to the building. All our 16 bedrooms are en-suite and include a tea tray for your comfort. Irons and hairdryers are available on request from reception. Meals available from 8-8 Monday to Saturday and 8-3 on Sunday. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Ebookers, Hotels.com, Expedia, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., Travel Republic (UK), Book Direct Rooms, Cancelon and Evoline ltd so you can book your Victoria Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.