“Alright but don't expect a lot!”
Review of Victoria Hotel

Victoria Hotel
Ranked #164 of 183 Scarborough B&B and Inns
York, United Kingdom
“Alright but don't expect a lot!”
Reviewed 3 April 2014

After reading some of the dreadful reviews on here I wasn't sure about this place, but decided to risk it and buy a groupon voucher for 2 nights with dinners and breakfasts (£79). To be honest that's about what it was worth, very glad I didn't pay full price or I would have been very disappointed instead of just a little.

Some comments:
1. The staff: the chef who checked us in and took our dinner order the first night was very nice and friendly, the bar girl quite surly, the lady serving breakfast quite pleasant. Little bit shocked to see a girl of about 10 or 11 helping to serve breakfast!
2. "Hotel" is a bit misleading, it is more like a pub with rooms to let. (if this were clearer there might not be so many angry reviews on tripadvisor!)
3. If a hotel says it has a restaurant, you don't expect to have to eat dinner in the bar. Also you would expect the hotel to have a separate check in desk, we had to stand at the bar. - That said, the food was ok, dinner was standard pub/wetherspoons kind of food, (though not much variety) and breakfast was quite good.
4. The room was clean and tidy and quite nice, bathroom a bit sad, plaster coming off, no bath, no soap or shampoo or anything. There were clean towels and tea-making stuff, but the quilt looked like it was 50years old and had never been washed. Could do with a coat of paint and new linen.

All in all it was a decent place, I don't feel ripped off, but nothing to write home about and I probably wouldn't go back. Shame because it has the potential to be much nicer, with just some redecorating and attention to details.

Room Tip: we were on the second floor and could just about see the castle, I think the 3rd floor is nicer and...
1 Thank Bec V

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
Bradford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 April 2014

I by no means nit pick. I work in a hotel & restaurant myself and I know what the basic standards are. We got this deal on a groupon offer but if I paid the full prices the ask online I would honestly be furious. I can stay in some places but this was just horrible. The atmosphere of the Pub...sorry i mean hotel was gloomy. We was at first confused as to where the entrance was as presumed it would be separate to the pub. But on searching we went through the pub to be greeted very coldly by the waitress/receptionist. No smile, no are you ok or did you find us ok...basically no common courtesy. Me and me partner the stood at the pub bar end to be checked in. I did see on the screen not many room booked for that night which when we got to the room made me a little angry. We was then told to quickly move our car before we got a ticket which if we knew where the carpark was in the first place we wouldn't have an issue but we had to park at first in a pay and display zone as the car park for the pub was not properly marked. moving the car was another pick...the car park was not secure and didn't look safe by any means. we went back in to the pub and checked in. Placed on the third floor...when the rest of the rooms where available. We entered the room which seemed ok but found many flaws.
1) twin beds which when sat on moved apart.
2) tv so high and small could hardly see
3) TV remotes - neither worked.
4) No bath - We was not informed there was a choice of bath or shower and certainly wouldn't have gone for this options. Most hotels do offer in those cases.
5) Used Soap to was hands. It is general hygiene to be offered a new soap bar to was hands. The one that was in the room looked old and grubby and i am just glad we took our own.
6) Broken alarm clock - I wouldn't have used to to be honest if I needed to as i wouldn't have wanted ton touch it due to where it was broked had massive grime build up.
7) No plug sockets - after travelling for a while we needed to charge our phone but we had to move the desk to even see a plug socket.

The only person who said hello or gave us a smile was the house keeping lady!

We arrived at the hotel and saw all of the above and to be honest wanted to leave straight away but to stretch our legs we spend 5 minutes in the hotel left our things so we could walk down to the seafront and as soon as we got back collected our things and went home. Safe to say...we will never in our lives book with that hotel again and we will be reviewing everything before buying from groupon again. I really think groupon should be careful what the put on there site!!!!

Room Tip: dont go for the laurel and hardy room. you will get vertigo and who knows what else!
5 Thank roz2525

Travellers are raving about these Scarborough hotels

Reviewed 29 March 2014

Came here with my mam for wk end stay, got a cheaper deal through groupon. For what we paid its good value for money, staff lovely, food really good, bedroom clean and spacious. I agree when entering it can be a bit (take a step back) not knowing where to go as its a pub but once you get over that, there is no need for this hotel to get bad feedback. I would defo return but not sure if I'd pay full price! Thank you for our stay

• Stayed March 2014
1 Thank AngieR80
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 March 2014

After reading past reveiws on this hotel i was abit worried! Why i dont know! Amazing Food, Clean well maintained bedrooms, Friendly staff always smiling and happy to help! Great atmosphere, a very pleasant stay, we will diffinetley be returning to the Victoria Hotel!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank leanne w
Kingston-upon-Hull, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 March 2014

Would not return to this hotel! Firstly it's hard to find the car park and when you do it doesn't seem a very safe place to keep your car. Secondly as you walk in there is no reception area just an old fashioned bar were the occupants sit and stare at you and don't make room for you at the bar to check in. We had our meal in the bar, which was included in our stay, and it wasn't very nice. They had ran out of the gammon and chicken so my partner ended up having chips and garlic bread! I had the lasagne which looked nice but was cold in the middle so wasn't eaten. As we sat down for our meal there was nearly a fight at the bar between two women (one of which we told was supposed to be banned). Our room was spacious and light and the beds were very comfy. Very old fashioned tv (which you needed two remotes to work) one of the remotes had no back and the other had a plaster stuck to it to stop the back falling off! All in all quite a rough hotel which we will not be returning to!

3 Thank Vicky T
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed 13 March 2014

The accomodation was standard at that. The bar on the Wednesday night was over run by young teenagers. Very noisy and boisterous. Two if the staff behind the bar didn't seem to have any type of uniform on. And when served my drinks, all of them were flat. Obviously not trained staff. Would not recommend that place.

• Stayed March 2014
2 Thank Hennessy3105
York, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 March 2014

i would never recommend this "hotel" save your money and go else where , rude team members ,doors that dont lock ,out side door that has a drop latch is permantly locked we could not get in in fact one gentleman had been knocking on the door for over twenty minutes apart from the fact this is a massive fire hazard what about safety ! my friend was man handled by a team member and this was on checking in , no hot water !!!! to be honest this list is endless and i do not have enough space to write in for the full story i asked for a refund on three occasions and was told " you will be lucky " i honestly dont know how they got a certificate of excellence .so top tip save your money go else where because these guys honestly dont care

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends