“Very good for the price”
Review of Victoria Hotel

Victoria Hotel
Ranked #163 of 183 Scarborough B&B and Inns
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Stayed here for two nights in April after getting a two night voucher for £59 for two with breakfast. I had read some previous reviews so knew that you were booked in at the bar, which isn't ideal, but don't let it put you off. The rooms were basic, but had everything you would expect for the price, They were also very spacious and the bed was extremely comfortable. I was also impressed by the cleanliness of the room. Its location is ideal for the town centre, which is virtually on your doorstep. The breakfast was also very nice and served by friendly and helpful staff. This is an ideal base, close to everything.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 23 May 2014

Booked for two nights with Groupon,I looked on tripadvisor and the reviews where not very good,
So I was wondering where I was going to be staying. I really had a very nice time there, the room
clean ,bed very comfortable,The breakfast was excellent very filling.the staff were very friendly and accomadating The one thing they could provide is a summer duvet at this time of year.

Ken

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank iggipark
Reviewed 20 May 2014

stayed for 2 nights as part of a groupen deal. room was clean and so was bed needs some money spent on it. when walking up stairs carpet had black tape keeping it together. had breakfast first day in bar and i must say very nice. second was in function room it wasn't as nice as a lot more people to cater for. lady who served the first breakfast was very nice. would't stay again but for the price we paid don't feel cheated.

Room Tip: room 5 was nice and big looked at railway station
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 April 2014

Staff are all quite young and try their best to be happy, polite and helpful and in the most part they are. The breakfast was nice as were the waiting staff.

The hotel is tired and parking is dire the room we stayed in would benefit from new duvet cover and curtains.

I had to call 3 times to book as every member of staff I spoke to didn't know how to do it & when they said someone would call back no one ever actually did,

We had to leave in a hurry and I sent the hotel £5 to return my book and book mark that I left there that was on the 29 March. It still hasn't been returned after calling 3 times.

I would never ever stay there again.

Room Tip: Just don't stay there!
4  Thank Tracey U
Reviewed 15 April 2014

The bad reviews you will read about this hotel are right - not sure who could have put the 'excellent' reviews on the site?? Don't expect to sleep before midnight as there is a lively bar downstairs (where we had to check at the bar amongst the drinkers) and there is another bar right below the bedrooms. When we stayed there was a wedding reception in the upstairs bar and a band playing in the downstairs bar on the Friday night and then there was a hen party in the upstairs bar on the Saturday night - the cut-off time is midnight and the noise WILL continue until then. The hotel is shabby even though undergoing refurbishment. Breakfast is served in the downstairs bar. It is difficult to find the rooms as the signage is incorrect and you may find yourself wandering around until you find a member of staff (a barmaid) who is not busy serving behind the bar.

Not sure where the view of the Castle comes from but our room faced a noisy main road and the train station - I could hear the announcements from the station.

The good points, there are 3, the lady who served us breakfast was helpful and professional, the breakfast was freshly cooked and exceptionally good and the bed sheets were clean.

Room Tip: Find out if there really is a room with a view of the Castle and ask for that one, or try to get a r...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank YvonneDavison
Reviewed 3 April 2014

After reading some of the dreadful reviews on here I wasn't sure about this place, but decided to risk it and buy a groupon voucher for 2 nights with dinners and breakfasts (£79). To be honest that's about what it was worth, very glad I didn't pay full price or I would have been very disappointed instead of just a little.

Some comments:
1. The staff: the chef who checked us in and took our dinner order the first night was very nice and friendly, the bar girl quite surly, the lady serving breakfast quite pleasant. Little bit shocked to see a girl of about 10 or 11 helping to serve breakfast!
2. "Hotel" is a bit misleading, it is more like a pub with rooms to let. (if this were clearer there might not be so many angry reviews on tripadvisor!)
3. If a hotel says it has a restaurant, you don't expect to have to eat dinner in the bar. Also you would expect the hotel to have a separate check in desk, we had to stand at the bar. - That said, the food was ok, dinner was standard pub/wetherspoons kind of food, (though not much variety) and breakfast was quite good.
4. The room was clean and tidy and quite nice, bathroom a bit sad, plaster coming off, no bath, no soap or shampoo or anything. There were clean towels and tea-making stuff, but the quilt looked like it was 50years old and had never been washed. Could do with a coat of paint and new linen.

All in all it was a decent place, I don't feel ripped off, but nothing to write home about and I probably wouldn't go back. Shame because it has the potential to be much nicer, with just some redecorating and attention to details.

Room Tip: we were on the second floor and could just about see the castle, I think the 3rd floor is nicer and...
1  Thank Bec V
Reviewed 1 April 2014

I by no means nit pick. I work in a hotel & restaurant myself and I know what the basic standards are. We got this deal on a groupon offer but if I paid the full prices the ask online I would honestly be furious. I can stay in some places but this was just horrible. The atmosphere of the Pub...sorry i mean hotel was gloomy. We was at first confused as to where the entrance was as presumed it would be separate to the pub. But on searching we went through the pub to be greeted very coldly by the waitress/receptionist. No smile, no are you ok or did you find us ok...basically no common courtesy. Me and me partner the stood at the pub bar end to be checked in. I did see on the screen not many room booked for that night which when we got to the room made me a little angry. We was then told to quickly move our car before we got a ticket which if we knew where the carpark was in the first place we wouldn't have an issue but we had to park at first in a pay and display zone as the car park for the pub was not properly marked. moving the car was another pick...the car park was not secure and didn't look safe by any means. we went back in to the pub and checked in. Placed on the third floor...when the rest of the rooms where available. We entered the room which seemed ok but found many flaws.
1) twin beds which when sat on moved apart.
2) tv so high and small could hardly see
3) TV remotes - neither worked.
4) No bath - We was not informed there was a choice of bath or shower and certainly wouldn't have gone for this options. Most hotels do offer in those cases.
5) Used Soap to was hands. It is general hygiene to be offered a new soap bar to was hands. The one that was in the room looked old and grubby and i am just glad we took our own.
6) Broken alarm clock - I wouldn't have used to to be honest if I needed to as i wouldn't have wanted ton touch it due to where it was broked had massive grime build up.
7) No plug sockets - after travelling for a while we needed to charge our phone but we had to move the desk to even see a plug socket.

The only person who said hello or gave us a smile was the house keeping lady!

We arrived at the hotel and saw all of the above and to be honest wanted to leave straight away but to stretch our legs we spend 5 minutes in the hotel left our things so we could walk down to the seafront and as soon as we got back collected our things and went home. Safe to say...we will never in our lives book with that hotel again and we will be reviewing everything before buying from groupon again. I really think groupon should be careful what the put on there site!!!!

Room Tip: dont go for the laurel and hardy room. you will get vertigo and who knows what else!
5  Thank roz2525