“`terrible!!!!!”
Review of Victoria Hotel

Victoria Hotel
Ranked #163 of 183 Scarborough B&B and Inns
Reviewed 12 June 2014

as the previous review from Jeanette m we booked this hotel!! on groupon what a mistake - unlike Jeanette we didn't even book in we just walked up the stairs where the carpet was taped with black tape and filthy and walked back out = there is no way we would have considered staying in such a disgusting place! the car park was full of abandoned cars and rubbish and we would not have left our car there the night as it probably would not have been there in the morning - I cant believe groupon would sell this hotel and are awaiting a call back from them still!! our advise would be to stay well clear of this place - we stayed at the ambassador hotel which was perfect

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Barbara F

Reviewed 11 June 2014

I really don't know where to start with this.......

Okay, bought this on Groupon and thought it was a good deal for 3 nights @ £89.00. As it was going to be my birthday I thought it would be great just even if we got our head down in there and went sightseeing. Well, we lasted a night in here and checked out.
We checked in at the bar where actually she was very helpful. We went into the lift (2 people max) and found our film star room. Why oh why? Anyway, we dropped our luggage and went into town where the biggest thrill was getting the tram from the top to the bottom for 1.60 single trip, smelt of urine so am thinking that some people can't wait for the one minute ride to the bottom??? We got out safely.

The room was clean. It took me 3 hours to get the portable tv to work though, a little portable from the 80's. I had to stand on the bed, not a double bed, two single beds pushed together so was a bit of a challenge. No bath but there was a shower although the extractor fan was exposed and the toilet wobbled every time you sat on it. Toilet roll was present although was a bit of a nightmare keeping it in the same place due to it coming away from the wall. The view of the street was ample, if you like watching people fighting on the street and police and ambulances roaring past every 30 seconds. We didn't go to the bar due to the locals looking like they wanted to fight everybody that wasn't local.

Breakfast was an experience. There are cereals there in a plastic tub but was difficult to fill your clean bowl with a teaspoon. The place smells like the chip fat has not been changed in 12 months. The smell is unbearable. The tables were sticky and my cutlery needed changing. When it was I then stuck my fork in the tea caddy just to sterilise it. We looked for the view out of the window but all we could see was united flags on the windows. I looked at the curtains and could not understand why there was only one there, until I looked behind me and noticed that the other was laying on the floor. By the dust on it, it must have been there a while. I then looked at the other curtains and realised why it was on the floor. They were hung up with a bamboo stick and then sat on top of very large nails!!!!!!! How on earth did they hang those England flags?? No more nails I am guessing.

Parking - we parked at the back of the hotel where the only parking spot was at the end, should of realised then, there was an old sofa, a freezer, most household goods dumped in a pile. I understand from 17th June there will be a car boot held there.......maybe they were getting in before?

We ate on the sea front at a fish restaurant, not many there as they are all fish and chip places. It was nice and as we went back to the hotel (it's not a hotel) everybody stares at you. Not me me this place. We left the next day and went to Whitby. Had a great time there!!!!! Do not go here. It's dreadful.

Room Tip: Don't choose any of them
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Jeanette M
Reviewed 5 June 2014 via mobile

I stayed two nights with my young son at the beginning of June, paid only £59 for two nights with a Groupon voucher. We were in room 2 which was basic but large, impressively clean, bed comfortable and had great views of a park to the side. Next to the road so some traffic noise but not unbearable and my son enjoyed watching the cars go by.
Location is brilliant, especially as we arrived by train, and walking distance to everything we wanted to see.
Breakfast pretty good and very filling and staff very friendly.

Only complaint is that the shower was ridiculously hot even on coldest setting so I had to dodge in and out to get washed and had to run a little puddle in the shower tray for my son as it was too hot for him even for a quick hose down! Still, beats a cold shower I suppose!

• Stayed: June 2014
Reviewed 29 May 2014

This trip was a present from our daughter and her friends and was just what we needed as neither of us have been well.rThe Victoria appears to be in the process of a make over. The staff are friendly and welcoming. With very helpful house keeping.The lift has a sense of humour saying it was over loaded with just 2 people !! Nowhere near the 500Kg's allowance. We had room 3 the Seve Balasteros room which has 3 Windows and a view of Scarborough. The room was clean & uncluttered, with a shower on suite'. There are 2 wall heaters which heated the room beautifully after only a few minutes. We had the belly buster breakfast for lunch as we slept in on the first day. Huge! Filled us up till supper. Although it rained nearly the whole time we had a good stay.

Room Tip: Good for travellers who use the train the hotel is directly opposite the station. Has a lift to all...
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Stayed here for two nights in April after getting a two night voucher for £59 for two with breakfast. I had read some previous reviews so knew that you were booked in at the bar, which isn't ideal, but don't let it put you off. The rooms were basic, but had everything you would expect for the price, They were also very spacious and the bed was extremely comfortable. I was also impressed by the cleanliness of the room. Its location is ideal for the town centre, which is virtually on your doorstep. The breakfast was also very nice and served by friendly and helpful staff. This is an ideal base, close to everything.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 May 2014

Booked for two nights with Groupon,I looked on tripadvisor and the reviews where not very good,
So I was wondering where I was going to be staying. I really had a very nice time there, the room
clean ,bed very comfortable,The breakfast was excellent very filling.the staff were very friendly and accomadating The one thing they could provide is a summer duvet at this time of year.

Ken

1  Thank iggipark
Reviewed 20 May 2014

stayed for 2 nights as part of a groupen deal. room was clean and so was bed needs some money spent on it. when walking up stairs carpet had black tape keeping it together. had breakfast first day in bar and i must say very nice. second was in function room it wasn't as nice as a lot more people to cater for. lady who served the first breakfast was very nice. would't stay again but for the price we paid don't feel cheated.

Room Tip: room 5 was nice and big looked at railway station