“Nice hotel shame about the room I was allocated”
Review of Ambassador Hotel

Ambassador Hotel
Ranked #24 of 28 Hotels in Scarborough
north yorks
“Nice hotel shame about the room I was allocated”
Reviewed 13 March 2011

The hotel is in a great location overlooking South Bay. Some of the rooms have been renovated, unfortunately I was allocated one that had not been. wall paper was peeling, holes in wall, broken head board (two single beds pushed into a double)- doors falling off furniture, massive gap at bottom of door allowing music from two floors down to be audible. shower in room didnt work and bath too small for larger person. room extremely hot despite turning off all radiators and opening window (right onto outside smoking area?). Despite the room being no better than 2 star the remainder of the hotel is very good. food is excellent and the staff very helpful. conference facilities are very good. didnt bother asking for a move of rooms basically as the hotel was full - not a lot of point really. the renovated rooms are very nice however - if you are staying at this hotel I would recommend that you ask for one of the newly renovated rooms and not room 114. I am a Scarborough resident and only stayed due to circumstances. i would have preferred to have stayed at home for a decent shower. Dont let me put you off the hotel - it is nice, just avoid the old shabby unrenovated rooms.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank faunty1021
AmbassadorOpsManager, General Manager at Ambassador Hotel, responded to this review, 14 March 2011
Thank you for your review. I am sorry that your room fell below expectations, we do have an ongoing refurbishment programme and plan to undertake further bedrooms later this year. In the meantime we have noted the maintenance faults which you have raised and these have been attended too. Although the hotel was very busy whilst you were with us it is always worth speaking to a member of the team as I am sure we would have been able to rectify some of the faults immediately. The room you occupied overlooks our 'secret garden', smoking is not permitted in this area and I do apologise if anyone had disregarded the prohibitive signage.
Thank you once again for your review and we hope to see you again soon.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (330)
Wakefield
Reviewed 12 March 2011

I'd like to say yet again how happy we were with the Ambassador. We spent four comfortable nights and enjoyed the breakfast and dinners. The staff were an absolute delight and made us very welcome. The new refurbishment is great and the hotel is spotless everywhere. One disappointment was the ban on dogs who have always been welcomed in the past. I suppose a few irresponsible owners have spoilt it for the rest. We have always brought our elderly little dog in the past and if she is with us next year we will have to once again make alternative arrangements for her or stay somewhere else. It is a pity because she loves staying at the Ambassador as much as we do and it doesn't feel right leaving such an important member of the family out!

• Stayed February 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank MGJohnson
AmbassadorOpsManager, General Manager at Ambassador Hotel, responded to this review, 23 March 2011
Thank you for your kind review, I have passed your feedback on to the team. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.
nottingham
Reviewed 12 March 2011

I stayed at this hotel while walking the Cleveland Way and found it excellent value. The room was clean and modern and the spa facilities were a real treat for my aching muscles. It was in a good location, near the town centre and with nice views along the seafront. The staff were welcoming and friendly and even gave me a free upgrade when they learned I was walking the Cleveland Way. The bar and restaurant were comfortable and the food and drinks were reasonably priced. Overall, it would be difficult to find a better hotel for the price in Scarborough and I would definitely recommend it.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank sally098
Thank you for your kind review, it is always a pleasure to know that our guests have had an enjoyable stay. We look forward to welcoming you back to The Ambassador soon.
North Lancashire
Reviewed 11 March 2011

Stayed for a weekend conference and perfectly situated to take the funicular tram car down the cliff to the Spa/ conference centre. Excellent and plentiful breakfasts. Evening dinner [Table d'hote] OK - not much choice, though fairly good a la carte and cheap bar snack options available. Excellent live entertainment on both weekend nights was a bonus. Opted for room [212] with adjacent 'snug' all recently refurbished to high standard. Comfy large bed. The bathroom was a let down, cramped and poor utilisation of space, cracked bath panels, and seemed rather outdated in comparison to the contemporary decor of the suite generally.
I felt rather perturbed to answer room phone at 09.50 as we were packing [on day we were due to check out] to be told impertinently by female receptionist ' She was just checking to make sure we were still there as we had a bill to pay'!! Whatever happened to P.R. and diplomacy in the world of hospitality?
I also enjoyed an evening dip in the warm basement swimming pool - lovely!

• Stayed March 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank Alexandra72
Thank you for your review, I am pleased that you had an enjoyable stay with us and found our location so convenient for the Spa complex. Thank you for your kind comments regarding the food and decor of the hotel; the next phase in our refurbishment will undertake some of the bathrooms and should commence soon.
I am sorry that our receptionist called so early, we do occasionally contact guests in their rooms after check-out time in case they wish to extend their stay. I will ask my colleagues to check the time before making these calls in future.
Thank you once again for your kind review and we look forward to seeing you again soon.
Bradford
Reviewed 10 March 2011

We stayed at the Ambassador hotel for two nights in march.The staff were very friendly on our arrival and throughout the stay. We stayed in room 307 which was on the third floor but was accssesed by a lift. The room was clean and had recently been renovated to a good standard. The room had a sea view over Scarborough bay and town. The hotel as a small pool and sauna which again was clean but the pool was a little cold.We would stay here again and look forward to our next visit.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank DingDingBradford
AmbassadorOpsManager, General Manager at Ambassador Hotel, responded to this review, 11 March 2011
Thank you for your review, I am pleased that you enjoyed the hotel, your room and the views. Our pool temperature is normally kept around 30 degrees, we did have a slight technical fault with the pool heating whilst you were with us but this has now been resolved. Thank you once again, we look forward to welcoming you back to the Ambassador soon.
Reviewed 8 March 2011

I stayed here on business and what an hotel, the rooms were clean and the beds was so comfortable. The hotel staff was really friendly and could not do enough to help. I find myself being able to relax after a hard days work and the pool and sauna was a great way to unwind. This is 1 hotel I will be visiting again and again. I can't wait till the next time I'm visiting scarbourgh.

• Stayed February 2011
Thank you for your review, it is great to know that you enjoyed your stay and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.
garforth leeds
Reviewed 8 March 2011

I can confirm the other good reviews re this hotel.On arrival just after lunch,a friendly and polite receptionist,informed us that our room was ready for us immediately ,and obtained for us a FREE parking card.On arrival at our room,we were delighted to find ,a spotless and clean room with a superb sea view, tea, coffee and biscuits, flat screen tv, clock radio and lots of bathroom goodies all at NO Extra charge.
After a short walk in to the town and harbour, we came back to the hotel and spent an hour in the clean and warm hotel pool, and were given complimentary towels for use in the spa. Evening saw us having a good bar meal at a very reasonable price, well cooked and with quick sevice. Even though a wedding party was in the hotel we had a very good nights sleep in a warm room and comfortable bed, and no noise could be heard from the party. Breakfast buffet was very good ,hot and well cooked, even the plates were hot.
Check out was simple and quick with no problems. All in all a superb weekend at a first class hotel, well done to the management team and staff. We will stay with you again.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
AmbassadorOpsManager, General Manager at Ambassador Hotel, responded to this review, 9 March 2011
Thank you for your review. It is always great to know that our guests have enjoyed their stay with us. I have passed your comments on to the team and we look forward to welcoming you back to the Ambassador in the future.