“Great views, shame about the food” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Ambassador Hotel

Ambassador Hotel
Ranked #24 of 28 Hotels in Scarborough
YORK
“Great views, shame about the food”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 February 2012

We stayed here a Friday and a Saturday night and found it a bit of a mixed bag. They have clearly had a recent refurb and the bedroom was nicely furnished and tastefully decorated in the brown-and-cream-with-touches-of-turquoise which seems to be the thing, but lacked character – old photos of Scarborough or paintings by local artists would have made it a bit more personal. However, there is, of course, the view which is superb – a huge bay window gave views of the sea, the headland with the castle and the beach, with two wing armchairs to sit in to admire it. The bathroom was small but adequate with nice toiletries and huge towels and the whole room was warm and cosy except when the wind got up, when it was a bit draughty near the window.

The bar and restaurant had also been refurbished and were very comfortable and again had great views. The big let down was the food. It sounds good on the menu but it just wasn’t very good quality – oversweet orange juice at breakfast and very ordinary bread, although the jam was topnotch. I had scrambled eggs the first morning and they were very watery. We ate in the restaurant both evenings; on the first, the receptionist hadn’t passed on our booking so we were greeted with “we are rather busy” but they fitted us in and it was fine although the food was disappointing and rather bland. The second evening, they brought us the starters before we had been brought our drinks! We asked if they would be arriving soon, were told that they would, but it was another five minutes before they did. Not a huge problem, but surely the management could make sure that sort of thing didn’t happen? Curiously, there was very little fresh fish or seafood on the menu – there was prawn cocktail but that would presumably be frozen prawns and mussels which were very small and lacking flavour although the liquor they were cooked in was good and haddock and chips, but why no daily specials of fresh fish?

There was entertainment in the bar both nights, on the Friday, a young chap accompanying himself on the acoustic guitar was not bad at all as he had a good voice. On the Saturday there was a band, again doing covers, but they weren’t bad, just a bit much for a small venue. I’d rather have no entertainment, but if there has to be some, it could have been a lot worse.

The staff were very pleasant and helpful to everyone and although there was an event on in the function room on the Saturday, it did not affect those of us not involved. Parking was easy outside, either free or free with a permit from the hotel.

What I can’t understand is why someone doesn’t open a hotel at the seaside which caters for people who want to be comfortable and have really good food and no naff entertainment. There must be a market for it – a hotel that is a destination in itself, like ones you get inland, but with lovely coastal views. We’d go there often!

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank VisitorsfromYork
AmbassadorOpsManager, General Manager at Ambassador Hotel, responded to this review, 19 March 2012
Thank you for your recent review, I was pleased to read that you had enjoyed your stay on the whole. I would also like to thank you for your suggestion regarding the choice of artwork and we will be looking into this in the near future.
I do apologise for the communication error that meant your table was not reserved for dinner but I am pleased that our team dealt with this in a professional manner and seated you for dinner. I am sorry to read your comments on the menu however and will discuss these with the chef, certainly your feedback about daily fish specials, sadly in recent years there has been a decline in local fishing in Scarborough.
Thank you once again for your frank review.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (317)
Kingston-upon-Hull, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 February 2012

This was a weekend away for 3 family's for my fathers 70th birthday. On a dinner bed and breakfast basis. We were given room 110 and was delighted with it, lovely modern room and bathroom, with breathtaking views through the full height bay window across Scarborough.
The other two rooms our party had were not quite up to the standard of ours, 205 a small modern double in need of a bathroom refurb, and 308 a small family room for 4, again in dire need of a bathroom refurb and a stool to see out of the window if you are a little on the short side.
We had contacted the hotel prior to arriving after reading the negative views regarding the bistro menu and were given a table d hote menu, this consisted of 3-4 starters, mains and sweets followed by coffee. I would say the food was pretty good no complaints from us but in all fairness I have had better service.
Breakfast was excellent, plenty of choice and lots of great coffee.
All in all I would come back but would ensure I had a refurbished room and cannot recommend room 110 enough the view was fantastic.

Room Tip: ask for 110 great room great views
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank mid999
Thank you for your recent review, it is always good to know that our guests have enjoyed their stay and valuable to know if there have been any faults so that we can continue to improve.
I am pleased that you found room 110 impressive and I am sorry that aspects of the other rooms occupied fell below your expectations. We do anticipate that more bathrooms will be refurbished in the coming months once our Spa transformation has been completed. Thank you for your positive feedback relating to the food and I am sorry if our usual high standard of service in the Restaurant slipped.
We look forward to welcoming you back soon, thank you for your recommendation of 110.
Preston, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 February 2012

First of all i will start by saying this was our first trip to Scarborough,but it definitely will not be the last.

We arrived at the hotel about 930pm as we was going straight from work for an early Valentines weekend. From the outside of the hotel it is very presentable and is situated with one of the best views i have seen of the shore. Check in was easy and simple and when i got there i asked for a late check out and there was no problem with this. We was in room 302 towards the back of the hotel so our view was of houses. It was one night so i put up with it. When you walk in to the room it is very presentable and could not really fault it for a night's stay. The bathroom on the other hand could do with a bit updating. It took 2 of us the following morning to get the temperature of the shower bare able to use, and this had to be done by leaving the hot tap on in the sink. Then as soon as you turn the cold on it scalds the person in the shower. Also the water is not very pressured.
Overall it was clean and tidy but a little cold inside the rooms.
Other than this it was a lovely 3* hotel and would stay here again if i went back.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view-breathtaking
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank StaceyHibbert
Thank you for your review, I was pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay and your first trip to Scarborough. We have an ongoing refurbishment programme and anticipate that those bathrooms yet to be completed will be undertaken later this year after our Spa transformation has been completed. Thank you once again, we look forward to welcoming you back to the Ambassador soon.
WEST YORKSHIRE
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 February 2012

I agree with the last 3 reviews, we stayed as a group in January 2012, we had stayed on two occasions previously and everything was good, This time the food menu was different and was told we would have to pay for anything we ordered over twenty pounds.The Steak was good when we eventually got it/one n half hour later. The swimming pool etc was closed for refurbishment. The staff were good, the entertainment was good,the breakfast was good. Hope it improves in the near future because reviews like these don't help.
So sorry Hotel Ambassador

Room Tip: Don't take 100-101-109 if you are claustrophobic because you cannot see out
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank CAZBAGSWestYorkshire
AmbassadorOpsManager, General Manager at Ambassador Hotel, responded to this review, 4 February 2012
Thank you for your recent review, I am sorry that this most recent stay did not meet the usual standard associated with the Ambassador Hotel.

I am sorry that you were left disappointed with the new Bistro menu, we have received a lot of good comments regarding the new menu but unfortunately not here on TripAdvisor. As mentioned in response to an earlier review I will be discussing all of the comments that we have received regarding the new menu with the Hotel Directors on Monday and we will act upon the feedback received. I am sorry that you had such a lengthy wait for your steak but was pleased to read that you did enjoy the food.

We are really looking forward to the reopening of the pool and the brand new Spa facilities that will accompany it. I am sorry that they were not open at the time of your stay but I am sure that you will be impressed by the new facilities should you visit us in the future.

Thank you for your kind comments regarding the staff, breakfast and entertainment.

Once again, I am sorry that your stay fell below expectations and thank you most sincerely for your valued feedback.
Lincolnshire
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 February 2012

Having stayed at this hotel quite a number of times over the past few years i have always found it to be a nice place to stay in all respects. On a visit this week i was given a room on the first floor (109) it had to start frosted glass on the window looking out into a dirty light well so it was impossible to tell if it was day or night very oppressing the decor was poor and the bathroom can only be described as antique. With painted plywood walls and very old fittings and not one single tile in the whole bathroom.The dinner in the resturant which always used to be very good i was offered a menu that one could expect at a basic pub but at very much higher prices and the food all frozen and very basic.
In my opinion a great shame as the hotel has a beautiful position and has always in the past given such value for money. Recently prices have gone up steepley and i no longer find value for money. I felt the room very oppressive and like being confined no relaxation or pleasure at all.The breakfast was however good and can only hope things will improve.

Room Tip: Make sure your room has a window you can at least see out. A dond pay over the odds
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank scooby211
Thank you for your review, I am sorry that your recent visit to the Ambassador did not meet the usual standards you would associate with the Hotel.

I am sorry that your accommodation fell below expectations, unfortunately not all of our rooms benefit from the stunning sea views that many of them do have. Room 109 has recently been refurbished so it is a shame that the new decor was not to your taste; the bathroom is yet to be refurbished but I am pleased to say that this will be underway soon once our Spa has been completed.

I would also like to apologise that our new Bistro menu was not to your liking. We are receiving some really good feedback regarding the menu, sadly not on TripAdviser. Your comments on this really are valued and I can assure you that I will discuss all of the feedback received on the new menu (positive and otherwise) with the Company Directors on Monday.

I know that you have also contacted the hotel directly regarding your recent stay and I appreciate that you have done so thus allowing us the opportunity to rectify your disappointing stay and restore your opinion of the Ambassador.

Thank you once again.
Bradford, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 January 2012

been going for a few years and they have been renovating the hotel for the last three years the prices have gone up and the service has gone down. staff dont seem to care about guests or guests needs, no warm welcome,very slow service in the restaurant,and bar,very expensive bar.

Room Tip: book a diferent hotel
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank Les M
AmbassadorOpsManager, General Manager at Ambassador Hotel, responded to this review, 30 January 2012
Thank you for your review, I am very sorry that you were unhappy with your stay at The Ambassador Hotel and somewhat disappointed that you have chosen to place a negative review rather than contact me so that we could attempt to recify your complaint.

As you mentioned in your review, the hotel has received substanital investment in recent years; all of our bedrooms have now been refurbished and our leisure facilities are now being given a revamp to include all new spa facilities. I was surprised to read that you felt our prices had risen unacceptably, we have had rates as low as £49.00 per room per night in January and I strongly believe that we are very competitive in the Scarborough market.

I am very sorry that you experienced lacklustre service. Being a regular guest at the Ambassador you will know that we pride ourselves on high service standards and I am sincerely sorry for this anomally.

With reference to our bar prices I am sorry that you feel that they are also high however I am afraid I would have to disagree with this remark, our bar prices too are extremely competitive in the Scarborough market.

Thank you once again for your review.

Travellers are raving about these Scarborough hotels

Birmingham
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 January 2012

We have stayed at the Ambassador twice now and love it. The rooms have a mix of of modern and old combined to make them very warm and welcoming. The only down side is the bathrooms could do with a bit of a refurb. But saying that, they are clean.

The hotel provides a parking permit for the plentiful (in winter) parking on street, free of charge. We had breakfast in the restaurant on our second stay and were glad that it was included in the price. I personally would not have paid £10 for it. While grease free, wasn't very large and the continental was virtually none-existant.

The 'spa' was a nice touch. 40 foot swimming pool with jacuzzi and sauna. Fresh HUGE bath towels are available from reception. During our last stay, the spa was under refurbishment and closed, making way for new treatments, available in March, to which we are looking forward to.

We will definitely be staying at the Ambassador hotel again as we believe it to be excellent value for money. The staff are very friendly and efficient, the building clean and tidy and its location convenient for the South Bay. For those who don't like to walk up and down, a venicular railway is available in walking distance.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple