“Regular past visitors now very dissapointed!”
Review of Ambassador Hotel

Ambassador Hotel
Ranked #24 of 28 Hotels in Scarborough
newcastle upon tyne
“Regular past visitors now very dissapointed!”
Reviewed 28 April 2012

We have just returned from a weekend in Scarborough at the Ambassador hotel,(22nd April 2012) where we have stayed on 9 separate occassions over the last three years and have always had a most wonderful time.
However this time it has changed to a "Spa Hotel" and it is most definately not a change for the better.
We arrived with two small children to discover the lift was out of order(on checking we discovered that it was reported broken three weeks earlier) and we were put on the very top floor up 7 flights of stairs! with a pushchair! Not once were we offered any assistance in carrying the pram up the stairs.
The pool has been retiled and had a new shower system and steam room,however the foot spa is simply two sinks in the floor which simply fill with water(putting my feet into water which has housed other peoples feet is not my idea of spa luxury!) Also the finish on the tiles is very rough and sharp and the area is now extremely dangerous for young children.
We were told after arriving that our children were only allowed to use the pool at the same time as breakfast 8-10 or after 5.30pm(when they are having their evening meal or getting ready for bed) this was totally unnacceptable and we would never have booked if we had been party to such information.We also noticed all weekend that the pool was completely empty and so it was a disgrace that we were not allowed to take the children in.
The zen garden was on level one however I noticed that another mother and small child had been put into the room adjacent to the serene garden making it not very peaceful at all! It was also miles away from the leisure area meaning you had to walk through the entire hotel to get to it.
The only saving grace is that the food once again was exquisite! the restaurant and bar staff were friendly and attentive,however almost all traces of family friendliness have been removed.
It appears that due to the new Spa status they clearly do not want families or young children staying at the hotel anymore.This is a crying shame as this in my opinion used to be the very best family friendly hotel in Scarborough.I am very disappointed and unfortunately will not be spending a tenth visit here.I only hope for their sake they can compete with the other top quality spa hotels(as they are charging the same now) as it is no longer appealing to families or older people,However I really do doubt it!

Room Tip: dont choose the family room above the kitchen it keeps the kids awake all night !
3 Thank newcastlejules477
AmbassadorOpsManager, General Manager at Ambassador Hotel, responded to this review, 1 May 2012
Thank you for posting your review, I am sorry that you were disappointed on your most recent stay. In response to your comments regarding the lift, it is most unfortunate that our lift was out of service during your stay and I am sorry that you were not offered help with your pushchair up to your room.
I welcome your feedback regarding the refurbishment of the Spa and the new policy on usage times for Children. In reference to the Children's swimming times we are aiming to achieve a happy medium by allowing all of our guests to use the Spa, Children included. I am sorry that you found these timings to be inconvenient and I will discuss this feedback with the Directors.
I was pleased to read that you found the service and food to be as excellent as usual and apologise if we appeared unwelcoming to children, this really is not the case and if you would like to contact me to discuss your feedback further I would be pleased to speak with you.
I sincerely hope that you will consider the Ambassador in the future and hope to speak to you soon.
Thanks again,
Kieren Moore

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (325)
leeds
Reviewed 24 April 2012

On entering the hotel bar,it was very busy and looked to be understaffed we asked for reception and were told its down there but no direction given. We found reception and the receptionist seemed to be very stressed again looked to be understaffed ( so far it was not looking good ) we were given our keys and went to the lift to find it not working so had to walk up to the second floor. the room was fine but the bathroom was very dated. We used the pool ( it was a little cool ) but fine, but the roof top zen garden is a joke plastic plants and i know this to be true an ( Argos info-red sauna ) as i have just bought one myself for home. I was a bit worried as the unit is not an outdoor sauna. Service in the restaurant was slow and at time painfully slow as there was a wedding party in at the same time as we and many others were eating, We were given the menu if that is what you can call it, we really didnt like anything on it so we asked for the al a carte menu we where told we dont do it any more but would bring the bistro menu for us, as we had book to include dinner we decided to eat of the bistro menu but were told we could only spend up to £20 each?? So we only managed 2 courses as i refused to pay extra. the food quality and quantity is not what i would expect from a 3 star spa hotel.
We only used this hotel as my mother came here last year and raved for weeks about the staff and food and the al a carte meals they had,It seams to us that they are more worried about profit margins than customer care and satisfaction. I tried to talk to the receptionist but all i got was a blank look and a sarcastic sorry. All i can say is DONT WASTE YOUR MONEY ON A HOTEL THAT GIVES YOU NOTHING IN RETURN

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Liz f
AmbassadorOpsManager, General Manager at Ambassador Hotel, responded to this review, 26 April 2012
Thank you for posting your review on TripAdvisor, I am a little surprised that you have not made a direct complaint to Hotel Management given how disappointed you were with the service.
I am sorry that our lift was out of service recently, sadly after several years of problem free operation the lift developed a fault and I can assure you that both the Hotel Team and the Lift Engineers did all that was possible to ensure that the lift was brought back into service as soon as possible. I do apologise that you we failed to offer assistance with luggage on this occassion and - whilst I appreciate that you should not have to ask - I would like to offer my assurance that had assitance been requested it would have been forthcoming.
The pool temperature is maintained at 28 to 29 degrees, a comforatble temperature for swimming and we have received assurance that our Zen Garden Sauna is suitable for outdoor use. Thank you for offering your opinion of our Zen Garden, you are the first person to offer negative feedback about this facility.
Having been on duty on the night that you stayed I would refute your comments that service in the Restaurant was slow and I am sorry that our menu was not to your taste.
In reference to your comments about the Bistro menu, we introduced this menu in place of our A La Carte menu in order to offer a larger choice and variety whilst still maintaining the same level of quality. There has been no change in the policy of how much allowance a guest on a Dinner Inclusive basis can use against this menu.
As you mentioned in your review, your Mother thoroughly enjoyed her stay at The Ambassador and I am sure that had we been given the opportunity to resolve your complaint then you too may have had as good an experience.
I am insulted by your choice of review title and assure you that we do understand the concept of customer service and this is confirmed by the number of guestss ho return to the Ambassador time and again.
Thank you once again for voicing your opinion.

Travellers are raving about these Scarborough hotels

Hereford
Reviewed 22 April 2012

On arrival a higher charge was referred to than had been agreed.Staff rectified situation.
On departure food was on our bill and of others in our party that none of us had eaten.Staff rectified situation
Bedroom was newly decorated but bathroom was very poor with ancient carpet including an additional square behind the loo to catch the drip from the leaking pan!.
Shower changed from scalding hot to cold regularly and rapidly.
Intrestingly the lift wasnt working. See review below.
Meal in the evnning was very poor.
Breakfasts were good except for watered down orange juice.

Room Tip: our room was on the rear.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
Thank you for your review on Tripadvisor. I am sorry that there were errors on your account and can assure you that this is unusual. I am pleased that your account was corrected as soon as this was noticed.
I am pleased to read that you were impressed with the bedroom. Further to your comments we are now replacing the floor coverings in the few bathrooms which are currently carpetted to hard floor coverings.
I am sorry that the evening meal disappointed on this occasion, I trust that the Food Service Team rectified any problems as soon as they were informed.
Thank you for your kind comments regarding the breakfast, I am sorry that you did not enjoy the orange juice. We have been using the same juice for a number of years now without complaints so I will speak to our suppliers to see if there have been any changes in the ingredients that they are using.
Thank you once again.
carlisle
Reviewed 15 April 2012

Upon arrival was a lovely friendly welcome by all the staff, well presented hotel inside and out, was shown to our room and was pleseantly suprised with the good sized lovely room with a great sea view bay window, lots of extra luxuries we did not expect, comfortable beds with lots of pillows and cushions, great for families with having a pool used it every day on our stay, breakfast service was excellent and great choices, nice quiet homely hotel will be back again, many thanks for our stay Karina, Chris and Girls.

Room Tip: Choose a room with a sea view bay window for best view
1 Thank karina n
Leeds, England
Reviewed 14 April 2012

Visited Easter 2012. Lovely room with huge windows overlooking the bay and harbour. Clean and tidy with a comfy bed. Good dining room - nice breakfast, pleasant staff. Didn't use the pool but it's not a fraction of the size it looks in the publicity. A couple of minor points but worthy of a note:
1. Lift wasn't working - fair enough, lifts can break down and it was going to be fixed. Apologies were made, but no help was offered with our luggage up to the second floor, despite the fact that we are both in our sixties and it was a struggle.
2. Very dubious rubber mat in the bath - needs changing or binning.
3. Good to have a hairdryer on the dressing table but the cord needs to be long enough to reach the socket (and still see in the mirror).
4. Breakfast menu says a selection of fruit juices. This should read diluted squash - bit of a dissapointment.
5. If you want kippers for breakfast instead of the full English there's an additional charge of £3.15, but no extra charge if you are non resident. Unnecessary and a bit unfair.

Room Tip: Get a sea view room - the bay looks lovely but you have to pay a lot more for it.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Julie-David
Thank you for posting your review on TripAdvisor. I would like to thank you for your positive comments and also for your constructive criticism.
I am sorry that our lift was out of service whilst you were with us. Unfortuantely after several years of problem free operation the lift did develop a fault which took longer than we would have liked to rectify; that said both the Lift Engineers and the Hotel Team did everything possible to get the lift back in service as soon as possible. I am sorry that you were not offered assistance with luggage, this should always be offered regardless of whether or not our lift is in service and I will of course ensure that the Front Office Team are re-briefed in regards to this.
I have spoken to our Housekeeping Team regarding the Bath Mats in the rooms and these will be replaced where necessary.
We will also check that the driers in the rooms have sufficient cable to be used near the mirrors.
I am pleased that you enjoyed the Breakfast and apologise that the Juice was not to your liking. We have been using the same Juices for a number of years without complaint but I will speak to our suppliers to see if any of the ingredients have changed.
We charge a small supplement to residents who have booked on a Breakfast Inclusive basis for Fish dishes at Breakfast but it should be noted that a non-resident or Room Only Basis guest would pay £10.95 for a Fish rather than the £3.15 supplement charged to residents.
Thank you once again for your comments, they are genuinely appreciated.
Knaresborough
Reviewed 4 April 2012

We decided to take three of our grandaughters to Scarborough for two days and booked overnight stay in a family room. The room had been refurbished and was excellent. It could have taken six with ease. The bathroom however was not to the same standard with the shower not really fit for purpose. The evening meal was much improved on our last stay but the breakfast was poor with little choice. The plates had run out and there only seemed to be one or two people working and these seemed to have gone awol so three of us started eating and the other two joined in when the staff reappeared

1 Thank Phil A
North Yorkshire
Reviewed 1 April 2012

We stayed here when attending a wedding evening reception. We had paid for a double room as part of the wedding party (£79.00). The room (despite being very small and looking out onto fire escape steps) was very clean and tidy and the bathroom too very functional- with a very hot shower, and nice big fluffy towels. There were tea and coffee making facilities,a tv and alarm clock (which we did not use) and a good sized wardrobe. Breakfast was nice: cereal (frosties, cornflakes or rice krispies), fresh fruit and yoghurt, fresh juice and full english breakfast available. So plenty of choice for adults and children. We did not get an opportunity to try the 'spa' facilities but other family members used the swimming pool and said it was good. We did get bombarded with emails before our stay trying to tempt us into booking something! The staff were very friendly and helpful, drinks not pricey and overall it was a lovely stay.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple