“Rotary Rave”

Ranked #24 of 28 Hotels in Scarborough
Cambridge UK
“Rotary Rave”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 May 2012

Our group of 40 Rotarians and their partners were the other big party at the Ambassador on 11/12 May. We shared the dining room with Kirsty A and her family, and we were equally pleased with the quality of the dinner offering, and the hotel staff's attentive and quick service, even with the dining room packed out. They must train their employees well at the Ambassador. They coped with our noisy and somewhat boozy crowd admirably, and just about every couple in our group (with one exception) were pleased with their rooms, which ranged fromn adequate at worst to exceptional at best. Breakfasts were excellent too. Our only niggle: wheelchair-bound Mrs Reviewer could only fit in the bijou lift with the chair footplates removed. They jacked our bed up at short notice (so a patient hoist would fit under it) with 8 Britvic crates - great improvisation, Ricky and friends! And yes, like Kirsty A's, our shower was also definitely temperamental. Never did get the hang of it. But all that said, it's a super place, and excellent value for money. And so said all 40 of us.

Room Tip: Sea view rooms are worth the extra. The view is fabulous.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Giapetto

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (321)
Teesside
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 May 2012 via mobile

My wife and I stayed here the May bank holiday weekend with our 5 yr old.They have a nice little pool, clean hotel, there was a singer in the bar in the evening over the weekend which was a really nice touch. Rooms are nicely decorated, lovely comfortable bed, breakfast was really nice also. The staff on the most part were really helpful and nice, especially all the reception staff who would be a credit to a five star hotel never mind a 3 star, they even found me a phone charger when I realised I didn't bring one . Definetly coming back to The Ambassador

• Stayed May 2012
1 Thank Irisheyesaresmilling
Newbury, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 May 2012

Stayed Saturday 12th may 2012 we booked 10 rooms as a family and they catered for 24 of us. Service very good and they accommodated 2 extra dinner guests with very short notice. Rooms nicely decorated and very clean. Overall experience really good. Agree with some guests bathrooms need updating but are clean. Shower tempremental but don't let that put you off. We had 5 children with us and it certainly wasn't an unfriendly hotel for kids as some of the other reviewers had posted. We will definitely stay again !!

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Kirsty A
Peterborough, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 May 2012

During a recent break in the bad weather we decided to visit my old home town of Scarborough and what better place to stay than the Ambassador Spa hotel, located on the centre of The Esplanade on the bank holiday weekend of 03-06 May, 2012. We had heard of the recent extensive refurbishment of its public rooms and bedrooms to a chic contemporary look, which we knew Scarborough as a resort would crave to and as such we hoped that we would find that this would compliment its recently totally rebuilt and upgraded spa facilities to further enhance our stay, following many previous great visits.

We were not dissapointed, the hotel was buzzing, staff extremely professional and helpful making us feel at home in their hotel, rooms extremely well appointed (ours had a great sea view) and the food and beverage service was fab. We even helped our friends book an anniversary event with the hotel for October as we were so impresssed.

It is so obvious even in these financially restrictive times that the hotel, which is still family owned goes the extra mile to make all its guests have the best experience in both the hotel and spa, with a real attention to detail and some great facilities, inc rain showers, mud treatments performed at great prices by dedicated and helpful staff.

We will definitely be back. Mark n Andi

1 Thank AndrewP1111
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2012

Stayed at this hotel Friday 11th May 2012 as we had a free night away trip due to switching banks and This hotel had pool\sauna.

Got there and checked in, couldn't have felt more welcome by the girl on reception asking if we want help with bags\ car parking permits\ telling us where to go etc etc.
Room was large and decorated to a high standard with cracking view of the seafront.

went to the pool and it has been refurbished and sauna has moved to other side.
The 7.30am opening time for all facilitates is super. had the pool to myself for an hour in the morning!
I have read a review of someone complaining that the tiles were shape, i don't know where they were standing but there are no sharp tiles in or around the pool!
Had a great time in that hotel overall and will be returning to this hotel at a later date, i have been to many hotels in Scarborough but this is my personal favorite due to high level of service\facilitates for the price you pay.
Also lost my phone after i checked out, went back to the hotel and the girl on reception let me back into the room to find it no problems but the cleaner had just found it and handed it in for which I am truly grateful for.

2 Thank JamieB3
Barnsley, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 May 2012

We went to scarbrough for a relaxing weekend. Our room was on the third floor and we were hit by the smell of a strong smoke aroma and the room was very small and had two single beds which was disapointing. We complained to reception and luckily they were helpful and moved us into a better room.
The spa is nice but not very private with all the pubic being able to walk past and look inside, also the sauna is very small and the footspas are not much use.
I would return to this hotel but I feel it is overpiced compared to some local hotels.

1 Thank talbot87
Gateshead, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 May 2012

I chose this hotel because it had a pool and sauna and the price was just about right, as I thought at the time. Later on I find my friends staying at another hotel for half the price but with dinner as well as breakfast but they did not have a pool etc.,
I was originally allocated a 3rd floor room and was promptly told the lift was not working, the receptionist was very apologetic and after I enquired about what scenic views I may have as a consolation prize for this discomfort she assigned me to another room on 1st floor with some kind of view other that of the rear of the building.
The room was very clean , flat screen tv, tea/coffee kettle in room., shower (no bath) wash room all neat and tidy, no complaints.
Breakfast was served at table, just tell waiter what you want from menu after you have had cereal etc., very tasty very good.
Only downside I can think of was price of a pint of was it boddingtons or theakstons £3.50p a bit steep for me when I pay £1 80p a pint in the club at home.
The spa was very new and had just recently opened when I stayed, had pool virtually to myself , pool was clean and ,yes cool but after being in the sauna , very refreshing.
Only thing I complain about here is it is slightly below street level and passers-by can look into pool and watch you, perhaps they need to put some kind of blinds or curtain up on the windows to give some sort of privacy to users.
Like I said earlier my friends paid a lot less than I but on reflection of hearing their complaints about rooms and service I think I had the better deal at the Ambassador,
Looking forward hopefully to same time next year 2013.

Room Tip: Reception is quickest gained rom side street but has several steps, more accessible from front with...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled solo