“Our last time at the Ambassador”
Review of Ambassador Hotel

Ambassador Hotel
Ranked #24 of 28 Hotels in Scarborough
Manchester
“Our last time at the Ambassador”
Reviewed 20 July 2013

We visit Scarborough most years and have stayed at the Ambassador at least four times over the last 6 or 7 years, either as a couple of with family. We always opt for a sea view as the views are truly stunning. Despite some refurbishment and the introduction of a spa, we won't be returning again. As mentioned in other reviews the toilets in the downstairs corridor do smell dreadful, and there is no attention to detail regarding the cleanliness of the rooms. We asked for a sea view room and were put in a small double room (I think it was 315) which was cramped and very small and dark, we requested and paid for an upgrade to a larger bay window room which was great, although the shower is not powerful and the temperature a little hit and miss. However the main reason why we won't be returning again is that the breakfast options are limited and is now fully self service, you even have to toast your own bread and make a cup of tea!!. This arrangement leads to long delays depending on the time to decide to go for breakfast as you wait for the toaster, or queue up for hot food or to make tea etc. Part of the enjoyment of being on holiday is having a delicious breakfast served at your table and having menu choices. Finally I would ask where has the customer service gone? We stayed 3 nights, and only once did a member of restaurant staff wish us a 'good morning', the others avoided eye contact and no-one smiled! Such a shame, as we used to rave about the Ambassador, we will be back to Scarborough as we love this coast, but this was our last time at the Ambassador!

2 Thank bjordash

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (325)
Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 July 2013

Booked a "Junior Suite" through LateRooms for an anniversary weekend with my fiancee. Got to the hotel and booked into the room, realised that the room did not have the "luxury bathroom" I had paid for, nor did it have the numerous large bay windows I saw on the photos online. Having paid £169 for the single night I felt I deserved an explanation and called down to reception asking them to confirm I had been put in the Junior Suite. I was told that I hadn't been and that they would not swap me to the room I had booked well in advance. I found out the room we were in was £99 per night and was furious that the hotel were only too happy for me to pay the original £169 for it had I not brought the issue to light. I got a nonchalant "apology" and reduction to the proper rate but I wanted the Suite I booked and to be able to trust the hotel. No chance.
The room was poor. The furniture had been pulled and picked at and was damaged. The 70s style bathroom contained a shower that struggled to deliver a drizzle of water, never mind anything resembling decent water pressure and the mattress was like a concrete slab. I don't mind firm but that was way too far. There was also sign of some bodily substance (and I know what I thought it was but will keep it quiet for the sake of decency) on the throw over the bottom of the bed.
The spa facilities were not too bad, the pool was nice but the jacuzzi certainly is not a jacuzzi, rather a corner of the pool where you try to sit and jets of water smash you into submission.
The breakfast was ok apart from the utterly miserable staff who made it feel like a mortuary and the fact that cooling beverages was an idea obviously beyond this particular establishment.
Overall, I am not pleased about the money spent, the way I was treated, the room, the facilities or the staff.
Wont be going back there again.

Room Tip: Make sure the room you book online is the room they put you in. I got stung badly on that.
3 Thank Matt P

Travellers are raving about these Scarborough hotels

Fareham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 July 2013

Booked in this hotel for a family anniversary. Very dissapointed.The room we were first offered was at the back of the hotel facing a wall and was very small and dark, requested a sea view room and was told there was none available for the three nights we had booked when we said we would go elswhere a room at the front of the hotel became available. This room was very small and the furniture had been "repaired" with masking tape. The hotel is old and although some modernisation has been done it needs a lot more to warrant the price charged. Alot of the furnishings were tired and worn with creaking floorboards and narrow stairs. The toilet in the downstairs corridor (which you had to pass to get to the dining room) was very smelly throughout our stay and the small airfreshener on the radiator near by did nothing to mask the smell. The breakfast was quite good but would never stay at this hotel again.

Room Tip: Don't use this hotel
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
england
Reviewed 10 July 2013

`we have just returned from a weekend break in the ambassador hotel we really enjoyed ourselves the location was great and the hospitality from the staff was verygood ,the food was exellent both evening meal and full english breakfast we couldn,t find any faults whilst we were there we had a pleasant stay .we will be returning again in the near future

Julie & Paul Taylor laceby grimsby

Kingston-upon-Hull, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 July 2013

I spent one night at the Ambassador Hotel, as a surprise birthday gift from my fiance. We used the side entrance so arrived in the bar, and was directed to the reception, passing some VERY smelly toilets on the way!
The reception staff were very friendly and professional.
On arriving in our 'executive' room we were a little disappointed, the room was very dark and the decor was a bit dated and shabby. The cleanliness of the room was awful, I found a toe nail on the cistern of the toilet, the toilet roll holder was thick with dust, the skin area hadn't been properly cleaned, the throw on the bedding was covered with lotion marks and there was a sugary, sticky something on the bedside table. The room overlooked the 'zen garden' which also meant that anyone visiting the terrace could see directly into our room!
I decided to complain and the young man at the reception was very apologetic and almost instantly took us to a new room, this one had a bay window with a view of the sea, was bright and airy, much cleaner and the decor was nicer, especially the bathroom!

Breakfast the next morning was lovely, the bar staff on the night time had been very friendly and professional and the drinks were reasonably priced.

We were allowed to leave our bags behind the desk after check out and use the hotel facilities which we were very pleased about.

The pool area has been done out very nicely and we actually had the whole place to ourselves including the foot spas, sauna and jacuzzi. I'm not sure if the area would be big enough for more than 3-5 people to use at one time so we were glad it was just us, but overall this was the best part of the hotel and something which sets it apart from others in the area.

With a little more attention to details I think this could be a really lovely hotel!

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
west hallam
Reviewed 3 July 2013

We spent 3 nights here as a short break. The staff were very friendly and helpful. The decor of the public rooms was contemporary, but looked a little 'aged'. The accomodation was a double with sea-view. The room (316) was small, decor ok, and the bathroom very small by 3* standards and in poor decorative order. On 2 nights of the 3 there was no hot water after 10pm, even after running the shower for 10 minutes. The reason given was that the HW system in the basement shuts down when there is no demand. There was a demand and there was still no HW! Room cleanliness was ok. The food at breakfast was good, but the evening meals only average for 3*. We did not use the spa/pool on this occasion.
Parking is on the road outside-fairly close if you are lucky!
From our experiences of 3* hotels over the years, we did not think that this hotel was up to standard.

Room Tip: Sea-view rooms have a very good position overlooking the bay, but avoid Room 316 (small, poor bathro...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
AmbassadorOpsManager, General Manager at Ambassador Hotel, responded to this review, 5 July 2013
Thank you for your review, I am sorry that aspects of your stay fell below expectations. I am sorry that you were unable to draw hot water after 10pm and that the reasons given were poor. Our boilers are always producing hot water, they do not shut down, I think my colleague was trying to explain that on occasions when demand for hot water is low it can take longer to circulate from the lower ground floor to the third; that said I do apologise that you expeienced this problem and we will look at ways to improve this. Thank you for you positive comments regarding the decor and breakfast. I am pleased to confirm that we hold a merit score of 80% with the AA, the highest score held by any 3 star hotel in Scarborough; this stands us just below the 4 star threshold so it is disappointing to hear that we did not impress on this occasion.
Thank you once again for your review, I do hope that you will return to the Ambassador in the future and would recommend one of our Premier or Premier Deluxe rooms should you wish to have more spacious accommodation.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 July 2013

Spent one night in the Ambassador Spa Hotel as a stop over destination. The hotel itself is ok, a little dated and a typical 3 star establishment. We used the side entrance, which really isn't very representable by modern standards. Staff at reception was very friendly and helpful! After a rather scary lift ride, we dropped our bags in the room. It seems to me, by looking at the other traveller's photos on here, that we got a bit unlucky with the room. Bed and view where great, but the bathroom was scary.. An ancient power shower, grimy shower curtain, worn pvc flooring and not even refilled toilet roll (had to ask reception- a little embarrassing). Can not comment on the Spa, as we didn't use it.
We had a good night sleep though and would stay again, but only if we knew beforehand, which room we would get.