“Pamper Spa Day”
Review of Ambassador Hotel

Ambassador Hotel
Ranked #22 of 26 Hotels in Scarborough
Reviewed 23 July 2013

Had Spa Pamper Day to relax & catch up with a friend. The offer consisted of use of pool/sauna/spa/rooftop garden/relaxation room, 30 min back massage & a mud rasul & afternoon tea.

The staff were friendly, approachable & helpful. The massage was relaxing in a calm atmosphere, albeit the room was a bit stuffy (it was a scorching hot day). Clear instructions given for the mud rasul but the rasul room steam was just a little too intense, even for my friend who is a hardened sauna user. Beware if you sit nearest the door on the bench you could burn your leg on the steam generator.

Afternoon tea lovely with good well filled proper crust on sandwiches & a killer cream scone. Not so sure of the other cakes which seemed pre bought.

Relaxation room is lovely & looks recently decorated/furnished, however the rooftop garden was a disappointment with its bird poo & astro-turf, a nice idea but could be so much better.

All treatment rooms spread throughout hotel - do not expect a very swish spa complex. Having said that, if you want to relax without being put off by plastic fantastic size 6 ladies this is the place for you. If you want more grandeur or fit the above category try the Esplanade down the road!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Tracey C
There are newer reviews for Ambassador Hotel

Reviewed 23 July 2013

should be better. I have stayed here previously, and love the location and the general layout of the hotel. The staff are friendly and helpful, as ever. On this occasion, my single room had a more modern shower/WC, BUT, I was unable to get hot water through the shower in the morning, and had to let it run for 5 minutes in the evening before it became warm enough. My other gripe is the change of coffee/tea and toast from being waiter/ess served for breakfast. Having queued with a number of guests for the use of one toaster, I gave up; this was not good, and this self-serve notion is just to serve money on staff - not befitting of a spa hotel. However, I still believe this hotel has potential.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 22 July 2013

Last minute stay in Scarborough, chose mainly for location. We stayed as a family of 4, 2 adults and 2 young children. Nice and modern areas and bedrooms, bathroom a little dated. There isnt alot else to say, its ok but for £100 a night i would have expected the rooms to be cleaner, they were very dusty and the bathrooms needed a good clean. Staff are friendly. A tip for this hotel would pay attention to the little details in the rooms, cleaning, the tea making facilities were cluttered and didnt feel very clean, dusty remotes, tvs and dirty shower curtains and lime scale on the baths. For £100 a night inc breakfast i think you could better value for a three star elsewhere. If this was £60 to £70 a night I would recommend but not at £100 for a family room.

Room Tip: try the weston hotel
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 20 July 2013

We had one night here, had a sea view which was lovely we only came to this resort to visit my elderly Dad so we are used to staying in run down old hotels in Scarborough, however we actually thought that with the money we paid for this, it would have been much better, Oh dear it wasn't, we had no hot water, the bathroom was really dated and creaky, the shower was rubbish... just a tiny trickle drizzles out, its really time to do something about it, surely the staff could have swilled down the front step from Seagull mess, the whole of Scarborough was suffering from being splattered with gross mess form those dreadful birds, I would suggest that if this is going to remain a tourist Town then someone needs to think it through and get rid of the sea gulls. Talk to St Ives they have got rid!!!! and its a far better please to visit. Eve our car this morning had a flier on it telling us we could have a hand car wash!!! Yes our car was splattered with the mess!!!! nasty...... stuff. I will still have to come back whilst I have my Dad living in the area, so I am stuck with it but I will not stay here again not for that money!!!! and the food was cold and greasy!!!! £119:00 for 1 night sea view on the side area of the hotel, poor food, and the sandwiches we had at lunch time cost over £20:00 I consider very over priced. the pool looked ok but we didn't try it as the rest of the place was grimy, so I dread to think if the pool was clean.
Shame really as the place could be stunning, its in a good area. One other tip to the management ask your customers if they have enjoyed their stay when they leave, no one asked us, if they had we could have mentioned a few things

Room Tip: Make sure you get a room at the front of the hotel
Reviewed 20 July 2013

We visit Scarborough most years and have stayed at the Ambassador at least four times over the last 6 or 7 years, either as a couple of with family. We always opt for a sea view as the views are truly stunning. Despite some refurbishment and the introduction of a spa, we won't be returning again. As mentioned in other reviews the toilets in the downstairs corridor do smell dreadful, and there is no attention to detail regarding the cleanliness of the rooms. We asked for a sea view room and were put in a small double room (I think it was 315) which was cramped and very small and dark, we requested and paid for an upgrade to a larger bay window room which was great, although the shower is not powerful and the temperature a little hit and miss. However the main reason why we won't be returning again is that the breakfast options are limited and is now fully self service, you even have to toast your own bread and make a cup of tea!!. This arrangement leads to long delays depending on the time to decide to go for breakfast as you wait for the toaster, or queue up for hot food or to make tea etc. Part of the enjoyment of being on holiday is having a delicious breakfast served at your table and having menu choices. Finally I would ask where has the customer service gone? We stayed 3 nights, and only once did a member of restaurant staff wish us a 'good morning', the others avoided eye contact and no-one smiled! Such a shame, as we used to rave about the Ambassador, we will be back to Scarborough as we love this coast, but this was our last time at the Ambassador!

2  Thank bjordash
Reviewed 15 July 2013

Booked a "Junior Suite" through LateRooms for an anniversary weekend with my fiancee. Got to the hotel and booked into the room, realised that the room did not have the "luxury bathroom" I had paid for, nor did it have the numerous large bay windows I saw on the photos online. Having paid £169 for the single night I felt I deserved an explanation and called down to reception asking them to confirm I had been put in the Junior Suite. I was told that I hadn't been and that they would not swap me to the room I had booked well in advance. I found out the room we were in was £99 per night and was furious that the hotel were only too happy for me to pay the original £169 for it had I not brought the issue to light. I got a nonchalant "apology" and reduction to the proper rate but I wanted the Suite I booked and to be able to trust the hotel. No chance.
The room was poor. The furniture had been pulled and picked at and was damaged. The 70s style bathroom contained a shower that struggled to deliver a drizzle of water, never mind anything resembling decent water pressure and the mattress was like a concrete slab. I don't mind firm but that was way too far. There was also sign of some bodily substance (and I know what I thought it was but will keep it quiet for the sake of decency) on the throw over the bottom of the bed.
The spa facilities were not too bad, the pool was nice but the jacuzzi certainly is not a jacuzzi, rather a corner of the pool where you try to sit and jets of water smash you into submission.
The breakfast was ok apart from the utterly miserable staff who made it feel like a mortuary and the fact that cooling beverages was an idea obviously beyond this particular establishment.
Overall, I am not pleased about the money spent, the way I was treated, the room, the facilities or the staff.
Wont be going back there again.

Room Tip: Make sure the room you book online is the room they put you in. I got stung badly on that.
3  Thank Matt P
Reviewed 14 July 2013

Booked in this hotel for a family anniversary. Very dissapointed.The room we were first offered was at the back of the hotel facing a wall and was very small and dark, requested a sea view room and was told there was none available for the three nights we had booked when we said we would go elswhere a room at the front of the hotel became available. This room was very small and the furniture had been "repaired" with masking tape. The hotel is old and although some modernisation has been done it needs a lot more to warrant the price charged. Alot of the furnishings were tired and worn with creaking floorboards and narrow stairs. The toilet in the downstairs corridor (which you had to pass to get to the dining room) was very smelly throughout our stay and the small airfreshener on the radiator near by did nothing to mask the smell. The breakfast was quite good but would never stay at this hotel again.

Room Tip: Don't use this hotel
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family