“Not a patch on what they promise”
Review of Ambassador Hotel

Ambassador Hotel
Ranked #22 of 26 Hotels in Scarborough
Reviewed 15 August 2013

We stayed at The Ambassador a few weeks ago and we were not impressed.

On arriving it took some time to attract the attention of anyone to check us in as they weren't at the desk. Instead they were chatting to their colleague in the back office about films.

When we arrived in our room we were greeted by a pleasant room which was clean and nicely finished and well appointed. However, you could not say the same for the bathroom which was scruffy and dated, looking like it hadn't had any attention since the 19070s. Also a problem was our rooms windows opened right up on to a 'zen garden' on the same level which in reality was a bit of flat roof with a fence on, some benches installed and the whole thing then caked in seagull poo! Not very attractive.

Breakfast the next morning was quite a farce with not enough staff to cope with the demands of amount of guests. The hot buffet was basically empty with people waiting in line for bacon, egg, etc and when they were topped up, the quantities were nowhere near enough. When my wife asked if they were bringing out more pastries she was told they were all gone. Despite this being only 45 minutes after breakfast service starting.

Overall, a tatty hotel with inadequate staffing and overpriced for the service and comfort level on offer. Avoid.

Room Tip: Do not let them put you in the room overlooking the zen garden. I don't remember the number I...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank volcanoman2010
Write a ReviewReviews (1,297)

Reviewed 13 August 2013

My partner booked this weekend break so that we could be pampered. We were not disappointed. He booked a room with a sea view and that is exactly what we got. The room was equipped with tea/coffee facility so it was lovely after our drive to the hotel, to relax with a coffee enjoying the beautiful view from our room window. The hotel has a zen garden with a sauna. There is a relaxation room which my partner and I enjoyed after having a shoulder and back massage. Whilst enjoying the peace and relaxing ambiance of the relaxation room you can have cocktails brought to the room via room service. There is plenty of choice for breakfast which is served in a tastefully decorated dining room. Check out time of 10am was a little early we thought however we asked the staff if we could extend our leaving time to 11.30am and there was no problem or charge for this. During our stay I was disappointed that there was a problem with the swimming pool and therefore I was unable to have an early morning swim before breakfast on the day that we were leaving. As we were checking our we were asked if we had enjoyed our stay and I mentioned my disappointment with the pool and immediately we were told that now that the problem with the pool had been resolved we were most welcome to stay and enjoy this facility. We thought this was a lovely gesture however we had already made arrangements for the rest of the day. Car parking was in the street outside of the hotel but this was free as the hotel provides its guest with a disc to display in their car to cover all of the stay. The hotel do pamper day packages and I shall certainly be returning for one of these. We had a perfect weekend!

Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 August 2013

I would not specifically recommend the Ambassador, but it was not bad either. When we arrived I was actually pleasantly surprised with the bar and dining area, but then the room was not very nice. The bathroom especially could do with some updating. The view from the room was very nice though, and the room was clean. A lot of noise in the morning though coming from the corridor, sound insulation not the best! I have to say though that the staff of the hotel was very nice, and the breakfast was good. We also had a wedding dinner at that hotel and the food was good. All in all not a bad hotel, but I would stay in another hotel the next time around.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 August 2013

We were over charged on paying for the room however we did book online and were refunded on our room tab however in the hotel bar we got a drink and ordered some food myself the croquer Monsieur and my fiancé a roast beef sandwich. We waited 35 minutes as a waiter approached us apologising for our wait and said it would be another 10 mins or so but offered us a free drink which we thought fair enough and accepted. 10 mins pass and my fiancés food arrives and the waiter apoligies again and come out with a bowl of fresh mussels and places them down in front of me, obliviously which I never ordered he apoilgies endlessly and goes off to the kitchen arriving another 10 mins or so with my food and tells us that are food will be taken off the bill, at that point I had went past being hungry but the food was lovely and we received all our money back drinks included. Lovely hotel though just smelly toilets near lift but spa was lovely and the bar cocktails are gorgeous but small!

• Stayed: July 2013
2  Thank Bloomer85
Reviewed 31 July 2013

My daughter and I spent a lovely day here. The staff couldn't have been more pleasant and helpful. The Spa area was really clean, the pool warm, the food good, the location great for lungfuls of fresh sea air and the relaxation room did what it said on the tin. We didn't see in the bedrooms but the rest of it was ok. Not newly decorated but good enough. We didn't go to inspect the decor but to relax in pleasant surroundings and we did just that.

Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank KarenStevens1
Reviewed 30 July 2013

I got married here last year and everything was perfect! All my family stayed at the hotel and loved their rooms as did we! The staff went above and beyond to make our day perfect! The food was fantastic right through to breakfast the next day! Last night we went for our anniversary meal which we got as part of our wedding package! Again the staff were amazing and our 3 course meal was gorgeous!! Can't believe some of the reviews on here! They must not of been in the same hotel as me!!!

• Stayed: July 2013
Reviewed 30 July 2013

When my fiancé finally decided to put a ring on it, there was only one venue we wanted. After previously attending a christening in the Ambassadors Bronte suite and being utterly impressed, we would not have considered anywhere else.

After several meetings with the wedding organisers there, Hayley and Kieren, we knew we had made a wise decision. I am a picky pain and this trait of mine was not only tolerated, but actively indulged! From pestering emails to Kieren (many!!....always promptly and politely responded to) to allowing me use of the room the day before to set up an example table and "play" with how and where i wanted things to be. After 18 months planning, handing over the reins to Kieren and his team was akin to handing over my first born. They could not have done a better job.
The ceremony room was beautifully understated, tastefully decorated and when I saw the reception room, everything set out as I had dreamt, I could have wept. The meal was delicious, served by courteous and efficient staff, the transition from day to evening reception seamless.
The evening country buffet was fab, everyone loved it, and the table was replenished with no question after everyone had over indulged!!
Our wedding day was stress free, down to the Ambassadors team, everything ran like clockwork, from requesting a liquidised meal at the last minute, to the manager offering to go to the florists himself to pick up extra buttonholes when we thought we were short, nothing was too much trouble.
We were given a beautiful complimentary room for our wedding night and served a delicious breakfast the next morning.
If I had to find one negative thing to say, it would be that the hotel rooms were very, very warm, with no air conditioning (the bedrooms, not the function room, which was beautifully cool). The weather at that time was unseasonably hot, but nevertheless, staff provided two large fans for our bedroom, which were much appreciated by the five bridesmaids and one excited bride getting ready in there!
All in all, I would thoroughly recommend the Ambassador as a wedding venue. Our day was priceless, magical and the best day of my life.
Big thanks to Kieren and his team!! We'll be back to celebrate our first anniversary!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple