“Time to get pampered!”
Review of Ambassador Hotel

Ambassador Hotel
Ranked #22 of 26 Hotels in Scarborough
Reviewed 28 December 2013

It was my husband's and mine first trip to the UK. We visited a good friend in Manchester and enjoyed browsing through the country side!

Then we treated ourselves to a few nights in the Ambassador Spa Hotel in Scarborough and we were not disappointed! We stayed in the Premier Deluxe Room with Sea View and it was amazing! I love the Victorian style of this Hotel and all the great architecture, what a treat to be in the 'old' country again :)

We enjoyed the mud treatment at the spa and it was a nice experience actually to be able to do this in an intimate and private atmosphere, wouldn't have wanted it any other way, now that I experienced it!

The staff was very helpful and friendly, helping us to find interesting sights in the area. We had long walks by the sea, it was very relaxing and romantic in any which way, loved it!

We are vegans and were still able to find some dishes on the menu in the restaurant, as well as we got catered to perfectly when we had some special wishes regarding the food, right on!

I enjoyed especially the bread and olives with sun-dried tomatoes, and we combined it with the hummus, very tasty!

All in all it was the perfect get away for us and a wonderful first experience in the UK! Would recommend this hotel any time if you like historic buildings and personal attendance, we did not have anything to complain about and would come back any time! Thank you!

Room Tip: We choose the Premier Deluxe Room with Sea View and loved it! I don't know the other rooms, but...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank beate64

Reviewed 27 December 2013

We stayed as a family at the hotel in October 2013 to celebrate our 10th wedding anniversary - I booked and paid for a room with a sea view - if you were 7 foot tall it was a lovely view, the hotel spa facilities were dark - may be romantic but rather dangerous when you step down into the sauna pitch black. Food was not great I ordered Salmon and sent it back as it was tiny, one of our rooms had a powercut and they were told to use someone elses in our party, they were offered a free meal (which we were billed for) and £20 refund off there room bill. The bill wasnt given for the food so we assumed it was complementary - to my surprise (although rooms had been booked separately) I was charged for the full bill. When I complained I had no response !

Room Tip: If you want a sea view request not to be on the top floor as you will only have a view when sat on t...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
4  Thank Jules1072
Reviewed 19 December 2013 via mobile

My fianceé and I booked in here for a mid-week relaxing break for a night, mainly because the spa looked quirky and fun. The Mud Rasul turned out to be cheaper than advertised online at £35 per couple instead of £50... Great fun! There have been a couple of negative reviews on TA about the Ambassador's Mud Rasul, maybe those people have forgotten how to enjoy themselves though! Being left in a ptivate room to do what you like with a blob of mud is great, as it turns out! The rest of the Spa was good too. Very small and intimate though. Not too sure how it would be with more than one or two couples in there at once!

Our room was recently refurbished and was very clean and comfortable. The bathroom I think is still waiting to be spruced up. It was still ok though.

All-in-all a pleasant stay. We enjoyed our time at the Ambassador.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Jack G
Reviewed 15 December 2013

we booked into the ambassador for two nights .arriving on Friday afternoon .The place could do with a good makeover ,as do a lot of hotels you can stop at nowadays .however when we looked around the room on Saturday in daylight it was dirty and had built up dust everywhere .my wife said if that was the standard of cleaning in the rooms .what must it be like in the kitchens .We didn't go for breakfast ..which was paid for, .instead we walked to The Clock Café at the bottom of the cliff .when we returned we told the reception about the dust ..They said they would talk to .housekeeping .On our return from the spa the cleaner was just about finished our room .she said she just had to change the towels ..I glanced at the cabinet where the television was sitting .and could not believe my eyes ..I took a photo on my phone .the cleaner came out the bathroom and said that's it .unless there was anything else ..I said what about this pointing at the dust that was still there .oh sorry she said and just wiped around the television with the towel she had in her hand .then left ..When.we checked out and told them it was the dirtiest hotel we had Ever stopped in .the girl was apologetic ,after I showed the photo I had taken on my mobile .She refunded the £40 for the breakfast we didn't go for .We definitely won't be going back .and would not recommend anyone else to stay there

Room Tip: don't bother booking any room
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank georgepayne2010
Reviewed 9 December 2013

The room was very basic albeit an upgrade to a 'premium room'
The windows rattled all night due to large gaps between the window and the frame and people were banging doors into the early hours, neither of us got any sleep and it was very cold.
We accessed the 'zen garden' which seemed to be a joke, a small warm shed for 1 is not relaxing and seemed pointless.
The calm room was reasonable, with the ongoing dvd fire which shows a lack of imagination; however when we arrived someones left over lunch was on the table and was not cleared until we mentioned it to the waitress some time later.
We ordered food which again was okay; however the chicken drumsticks were both hot and cold and was probably the trigger to my excessive vomitting later in the evening.
The pool was nice but we were constantly watched and laughed at by passer-by's who had a clear view from the outside. The jacuzzi part of the pool was again very difficult to use, lasting only 6 minutes at a time and could not be repeated for 11 minutes.
We were informed that a member of staff would come to find us for our pre-booked treatment (mud rasul) at 6pm; however i had to seek out someone at 7pm.
The mud treatment was so disappointing as we expected to be pampered, cleansed and refreshed and we were basically handed a pot of mud and did the rest ourselves. The largest portion of mud was for your face which is indeed the smallest part and provided no more papmering than we could do at home.
We attempted to order food and were told that everything was switched off at 8pm, resulting in us having to walk into town for fish n chips on a very cold and windy night. I have never known a hotel or restaurant to close before 9pm and i did work many years in the trade.
Breakfast was also very cheap ingredients and lukewarm and not at all enjoyable.
We had considered staying another night as we rarely get time together and requested an extension, this was to be charged at £120 and we were to be moved from our room to another. We looked online and highlighted the cost of £89 to the receptionist and she agreed this cost without breakfast.
After our experience we cancelled this and i was so disappointed and angry at paying around £200 for 1 night for a second rate hotel with very poor spa facilities that lack stimulation and relaxation. Furthermore i was very disappointed at treating my very good friend to something so disgusting and embarrasing.
I will certainly never return to your hotel and i will add the same comments on trip advisor as i want people to truly know what to expect when they are booking into The Ambassador.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
5  Thank Angela D
Reviewed 9 December 2013

Me and my friend booked this spar day and overnight stay for 2, we had the mud rasul and booked an extra treatment of a facial, what a lovely treat everything was superb the staff couldn't do enough for us the food was top notch so relaxing our room was a sea view spacious, clean and a comfy bed. The only complaint was the tv was very small. We will defiantly go back next year.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 9 December 2013

We have stayed at the Ambassador numerous times.Again we have just had a weekend break 6th-8th December.The staff are very friendly and nothing is too much trouble.Rooms are modern and smart with typical facilities but bathrooms could do with an upgrade.Good bar and lovely food.We had the pleasure of massages during our stay and the relax room was lovely. Our only moan which i regret but feel i need to mention was the room was very cold.We went to reception to ask for a fan heater which was provided almost immediately but it only took the chill off the room.Turn up the heating Ambassador.Overall brill stay.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple