“Good value for £”

Ranked #24 of 28 Hotels in Scarborough
Middlesbrough, United Kingdom
“Good value for £”
Reviewed 13 January 2014

We stayed for £114 with breakfast and mud rasul treatment.

Was happy with everything except when we were having the treatment I burnt my foot on the steam chamber ( we weren't told where the steam would come from and it was really dark too) I couldn't find any staff to tell them so had to go up to the room to treat it myself so didn't enjoy the treatment as much as I should have!

Our room was smart & very clean. The bathroom was very old fashioned but was clean.

Breakfast was lovely, buffet style full English plus cereals etc and as much tea, coffee, juice as you want. We had a seat overlooking the sea it was lovely.

There is an horrendous smell in the corridor from reception to the dining room but judging by the numerous plug ins the hotel are obviously aware of it!

When we checked out I heard the Receptionist ask the people before us if they had a nice stay etc, she simply just said to us thanks and bye!!!

I have sent an email to the hotel as they requested feedback to tell them about my injury in the rasul room and so far haven't responded!!!!

I would have rebooked as we thought it was good value and the pool area was lovely but wouldn't now after the poor service we received!

• Stayed January 2014

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (325)
Gloucester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 January 2014 via mobile

The hotel tried to cover up the smell of urine with an intense smell of incense sticks and hot oils this just added to the disgusting stench that hit you in reseption once past this point and you are in your room it is deserves a four star rating. However dont eat in the restaurant if you are situated near the enterance door as the overwelming stink of urine makes you feel sick and puts you off the delights of the food you have just ordered. Overall a nice hotell . If they replaced the carpets and closed the toilets near reception got rid of the stinky sticks hot oils and the stench of urine I would stay again but not in this lifetime.

Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank stevecolin
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 January 2014

My boyfriend and I stayed here on a very cold and rainy Saturday at the start of August as part of a Groupon deal (and an early birthday treat!)
Our room was ready to check in early and we were given a voucher for the car parking for the whole weekend.
The room was modern and very comfy- the only downside was the view which was over the rear of the Hotel and above the bottle bins and where the staff smoked! Being 2 floors up this wasn't a major issue but seeing as the Hotel is situated in a great loaction I would have prefered a sea view- anyway!
The bathroom was quite dated and we had difficulty shutting the door due to the light switch (large weight on a pull cord kept getting trapped in the door!)
The shower was powerful however a bit confusing to use as it ran off the taps and you had to pull up a lever to change over the source! Very complicated!
Plenty of towels though.

We had a walk around Scarborough and struggled to find places where we could go with our dog (very lovable miniture Jack Russell)- this could be imrpoved (Tourist Board letter sent!)- we returned and cracked open the very welcomed bottle of Prosecco which was chilled and had been supplied as part of out Groupon deal.
We had an afternoon swim and sauna however this was a bit dissapointing.
Only 2 small cubicles to change and a toilet which wasn't very clean (very wet floor)- the entrance to the pool etc was next to the Basement function suite where a wedding reception was taking place, the chlorine levels in the pool gave us sore eyes for the following 24hrs and the 'jacuzzi' was jets at the end of the pool where you had to sit on a ledge!

We had a dinner reservation for 8.30 but they let us change it to 8.45 as we were relaxing so well we forgot the time!
We had the Belly Pork, Mussels, Beef Medalions and Chicken- each dish was very tasty and cooked well and we didn't have to wait long to be served or get the food.
We washed it all down by a nice bottle of wine.
The service was very good and we had a wonderful view over the bay (and the wedding guests!) while we ate.

We retired to the bar which was packed and I'm not suprised- a young man was performing as part of the Alastair James Band and he was excellent- a great end to a rather nice night.

Breakfast buffett was great- lots of variety and refreshed regularly!
Check out was swift (pre authorisation of card helps!)
Would stay here again for the deal we got!

The staff were all very attentive at this place and professional.
The only things I would say lets this place down are-
The toilets in the reception/bar area.- please get some air freshners and put the toilet seats on properly
The chlorine in the pool- it gave us sore eyes
Not accomodating pets (our dog had to sleep in the car!)- from what I can gather there are basement rooms?
Mixture of decor- I understand there is some refurbishment going on, I would say if the bedroom has been upgraded then the bathroom should also reflect this!

Great location- lots of places to walk around and very peaceful with a great view!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Scarborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 January 2014

My daughter had a freebie which she was allowed to pass onto myself and my wife. It was only one night during the Christmas party season. We were given a marvellous room overlooking the sea and although we had to eat out the breakfast in the morning was self service but excellent. We had a great nights sleep and the staff were brilliant. Would definitely return.

Room Tip: Ask for a family suite with a sea view.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Wendover, UK
Reviewed 5 January 2014

I have a long history with the Ambassador - my Grandad used to take me here when I was a teen - wow, surely not 35 years ago already! The decor is slightly different from then but the atmosphere of calm, charming hospitality hasn't changed a bit. We stayed for a quick one nighter in October. The room was fabulous, breakfast great, staff helpful and friendly and we left struggling to think what more anyone would want from a Victorian resort hotel. I regret that the grandparents and old aunts have now all gone, so reasons for us to to visit are fewer but do take a trip to the town and this hotel. Walks are superb, the sea is wild and it all has charm and splendour in abundance.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Wakefield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 January 2014

It looks lot cleaner in pictures than its on ground. There was bad smell near toilets quite close to entrance. The carpets are old. The swimming pool is very small and cold and no way near spa as shown in the picture. The TV in the room was very old. The staff was friendly and courteous. I think its good but not worth the price.

Room Tip: Just search around. I suppose its an expensive location due to being on the seaside but there must b...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
Wychbold, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 December 2013

the wife and I had a day at the spa for massage and facials, the staff are very friendly very reasonable priced.
we had food in the bar which was very nice.
the hotel was very clean and tidy, would go back

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family