“Dissapointing”
Review of Ambassador Hotel

Ambassador Hotel
Ranked #22 of 26 Hotels in Scarborough
Reviewed 28 February 2014

We arrived and checked in early which was nice. Ordered food which included chips, only to be told that the fryer was off as it was being cleaned (at 12.50pm) and we might need to choose again!! Eventually after I commented loudly that it was a silly time to clean the fryer we were told our chips would be cooked in a pan on the stove. They did eventually arrive after a bit of a wait.
Room was lovely, unlike my parents room, they paid more and got a room half the size, with not even a full size bed, management insisted it was full size......we disagree!
We were looking forward to using the spa, until we found that the children's restrictions are completely ridiculous, 8-10am and 5-6.30pm, breakfast and teatime. I spoke to the receptionist who insisted the restrictions are there for a reason....this being that spa day customers were given priority!! The crown up the road is also a spa but allows children in during the afternoon.
Restrictions at the Ambassador are totally unreasonable and when I suggested this I was informed that they (on this occasion) would allow my child to use the pool, I think they expected me to be grateful, as a paying overnight guest I feel that I should have more entitlement to use the pool with my child than a spa guest and whilst I understand the need for restrictions, they should at least be at sensible times so that children can use the pool without missing a meal!!!
I almost felt that the hotel was anti children.
On entering the bathroom for a shower I was surprised to see only 2 towels in a family room, clearly there were three of us staying so we would need 3 towels, on second day again only two towels were provided. Do children not warrant a towel of their own?????
We were in room 110 which is lovely but we were woken up early each morning by music coming from the bar downstairs.
We didn't use the pool on day 2 as I was not going to ask permission again from the young receptionist who was more interested in twiddling the ends of her hair than giving good customer service.
The pool was also extremely cold and the dust floating on the top of the water is a definite turn off, pool area needs a good scrub and to be honest the changing rooms are far too small.
We filled in a comment card and handed it to the staff member on reception at the time of departure, he almost smirked as he apologised (not very convincingly) and again insinuated that spa customers were more entitled to use the pool than my child as a paying guest.
Only good thing was that breakfast was OK.

We stay in Scarborough a lot due to having close family in the area, back to the Crown it is from now on.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family

Reviewed 28 February 2014

After returning from the hotel I thought I would write a review to let other people know about our experience. We booked this hotel as a last minute night away. I hope it helps what I write:
Location: the location of the hotel is ok. I suppose we were expecting to be right in the centre however thesis sea front with shops is only a ten - 15 min walk however if you have walking aids or difficulties climbing the hill wouldn't be good and it would be worth getting a taxi ride into the centre. We enjoyed the walk into the town there is a few shops and as you would imagine lots of amusement arcades.
Rooms: our room was excellent we had one of the front rooms with a sea view the room was a lot bigger than we expected, it was clean and upon arrival we we were greeted with a bottle of wine which we both thought was a lovely touch. If we were to return we would definitely ask for one of the front rooms again it met all of our expectations.
Spa: the hotel offers a small indoor pool, a sauna and in he corner of one of the pools there is a jacuzzi bath. I think that the jacuzzi should be separate to the pool however it was great all the same. The whole area is clean and was great to relax. There was a relaxing indoor room that you could use after treatments we used the room to relax in.
Food: the food was good we got an offer that included a two course meal per person however I'm quite a fussy eater and I didn't get anything from this menu however the lady said we could pay half price for something off the main menu which we were more than happy to do. There wasn't much choice on the menu I thought there would have been pasta dishes however we enjoyed it.
Our overall experience at the hotel was great we really enjoyed ourselves and we would Definitely return.

• Stayed: February 2014
3  Thank Teesside01
Reviewed 27 February 2014

Travelling by myself due to business I found this a very friendly and welcoming hotel. Easy to find and a good location over looking the sea front. Service good in the reception, bar and restaurant. Good selection of food.

Room Tip: The single rooms are on the small size so if I had known I would have booked a double room even thou...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Catherine P
Reviewed 26 February 2014

*Rude Staff who ignore you, beds so hard and lumpy both me and my partner literally had bad backs from one night, food awful except breakfast that was ok, hotel tried to overcharge us by £20 when leaving and said it must of been a fault with their system??... Dirty bathrooms with side panels falling off and room with a view?? No it was a brick wall!! Never Again!!

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Rebecca S
Reviewed 22 February 2014

Huge room with views to die for...but there the good news ends.
Cheap mattresses made trying to sleep a bouncy experience, previous occupants copious long hair wrapped around the plug made bathing gross and the oil slick from spa day residents post massage swims made swimming disgusting.
All comments were heard by staff though nothing more...
What a shame because they have a potentially great hotel but no one seems to be bothered.

Reviewed 22 February 2014

Stayed for one night, got our room and at first glance it looked excellent, however when we went in to the bathroom I don't think it had been updated for some years, the view we had was of the Zen garden so basically the opposite wall. The big bed was big but it was two smaller ones pushed together, still comfy though.
Went down to bar area to have some food and a drink and that's where the hotel came into its own, the staff where very helpful and friendly as we had a show to get to so they organised us a taxi, took our food order and got the food out to us asap, the food was really really tasty and look amazing on the wooded boards it was served on,
Breakfast was very good the next morning, help yourself to fresh fruit, cereal and full English to choose from.
So if you want modern bathrooms and a great view it might not be for you but if you want good service and friendly staff it may be for you.

Reviewed 21 February 2014

Great stay for 2 day,meals fantastic and huge,rooms great views,spa facilities first class,restaurant staff very polite and helpful,various good value with drinks and great snacks,very relaxed and rested after our two days,definitely coming back but for longer

Room Tip: Sea views if you can get them,front of hotel are best