“away from it all break” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Ambassador Hotel

Ambassador Hotel
Ranked #24 of 28 Hotels in Scarborough
Sheffield, United Kingdom
“away from it all break”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 March 2014

visited The Ambassador spa feb 24th-28th..Great time.Visit every year..This was the best time.. The staff were so welcoming AND genuine..Quite a few new members of staff all were so lovely and friendly.. Took mum away for a few days she made friends with a young member of the bar staff who also doubled as kitchen staff..she was a little angel.Everyone was so helpful, Mum had a single room think 104..it was a bit noisy because of people passing from different floors and because the bed was a tad uncomfortable the hotel was prepared to move her which was very kind but she was in a room next to us so declined. We would have been able to move as well but didnt want the upset so we had to refuse. The young lady on reception was very apologetic but it didnt spoli the holiday. Food was very good and restaurant staff were very efficient. Like the idea of displaying in reception what was available for spa treatments that day.To top it all the weather that week was fab. Thanks everyone.

Room Tip: try any people always like different. 104 single room bit noisy
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (315)
Leeds, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 March 2014

we stayed 10th march . This was a birthday gift from my son and daughter , after reading some of the reviews I wasn't sure what to expect , I need not of worried. From the moment we arrived we were welcomed and shown to our room which was 105 with a slight side sea view . The room was spotless and plenty big enough for the two of us. We were then shown to the spa and given our robes , everything was explained to us and we were left to relax until we were called for our mud rasul treatment , again this all ran smoothly and we realy enjoyed the experience. I felt brilliant after our afternoon in the spa . I also spent some time in the relaxation room and had a coffee. That night we booked the resteraunt , there was plenty of choice on the menu and we found the food to be of a good standard. After a good nights sleep in a comfortable bed we had breakfast which was also of a good standard . We realy enjoyed our stay and would not hesitate in recommending the Ambassador Spa to friends and family. Every member of staff on duty over the two days were both helpful and friendly and a credit to the hotel. We will definitely visit again.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank dianne p
Bridlington, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 March 2014

I made a booking for two rooms, two neck & back massages and the mud treatment for two.
On arrival the staff were very welcoming and friendly we were shown to our rooms, both of which were spotless. We were given a tour of the facilities and left in the relaxation suit where our drink orders were taken.
The treatments we had were fantastic and the food was amazing. I would highly recommend this hotel and its facilities.
I will be returning in the near future.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
Yorkshire Dales National Park, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 March 2014 via mobile

Visited on 1st March, our room seemed to be an after thought. On entry our room had two chairs that if you pulled one of them out it hit the other, if the chair wasn't moved you couldn't see the TV or get into the room from the bathroom.
Although the room had two windows one was frosted so you couldn't see out and the other you had to climb onto the bed to see out.
The decor was ok, although cracked in the walls could be seen through the wall paper and what looked like two sizes of architrave had been used as a dado rail.
The bathroom was off the main area and down some steps, the suit was peach so shows how dated it was, if you sat on the toilet your leg touched the bath ( I am not a large person and it was a squeeze), the extract was like a road digger until it warmed up!!
Only stayed for 1 night otherwise I think I would have asked to move rooms, disappointed!!

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple

Travellers are raving about these Scarborough hotels

York, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 March 2014

My wife and I have just returned yet again from another lovely relaxing weekend break at The Ambassador. I don't know what people are looking for when they visit this Hotel because the room was clean and well stocked, the staff were extremely friendly and helpful as always and the breakfast and evening meal were superb. If there was anything I would like to see then it would be a better continental selection for breakfast although the full english option was perfect. Although the Hotel was packed with a coach trip we were still made to feel special and given a table near the window overlooking the bay. A special thanks should be given to Andy in the restaurant for all his help and kindness and also to Sarah as well. We will be returning again as it is still our favourite Hotel in the area

Room Tip: it is worth paying that little bit extra for a sea view room, you won't be disappointed
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Chester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 February 2014

We arrived and checked in early which was nice. Ordered food which included chips, only to be told that the fryer was off as it was being cleaned (at 12.50pm) and we might need to choose again!! Eventually after I commented loudly that it was a silly time to clean the fryer we were told our chips would be cooked in a pan on the stove. They did eventually arrive after a bit of a wait.
Room was lovely, unlike my parents room, they paid more and got a room half the size, with not even a full size bed, management insisted it was full size......we disagree!
We were looking forward to using the spa, until we found that the children's restrictions are completely ridiculous, 8-10am and 5-6.30pm, breakfast and teatime. I spoke to the receptionist who insisted the restrictions are there for a reason....this being that spa day customers were given priority!! The crown up the road is also a spa but allows children in during the afternoon.
Restrictions at the Ambassador are totally unreasonable and when I suggested this I was informed that they (on this occasion) would allow my child to use the pool, I think they expected me to be grateful, as a paying overnight guest I feel that I should have more entitlement to use the pool with my child than a spa guest and whilst I understand the need for restrictions, they should at least be at sensible times so that children can use the pool without missing a meal!!!
I almost felt that the hotel was anti children.
On entering the bathroom for a shower I was surprised to see only 2 towels in a family room, clearly there were three of us staying so we would need 3 towels, on second day again only two towels were provided. Do children not warrant a towel of their own?????
We were in room 110 which is lovely but we were woken up early each morning by music coming from the bar downstairs.
We didn't use the pool on day 2 as I was not going to ask permission again from the young receptionist who was more interested in twiddling the ends of her hair than giving good customer service.
The pool was also extremely cold and the dust floating on the top of the water is a definite turn off, pool area needs a good scrub and to be honest the changing rooms are far too small.
We filled in a comment card and handed it to the staff member on reception at the time of departure, he almost smirked as he apologised (not very convincingly) and again insinuated that spa customers were more entitled to use the pool than my child as a paying guest.
Only good thing was that breakfast was OK.

We stay in Scarborough a lot due to having close family in the area, back to the Crown it is from now on.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Middlesbrough
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 February 2014

After returning from the hotel I thought I would write a review to let other people know about our experience. We booked this hotel as a last minute night away. I hope it helps what I write:
Location: the location of the hotel is ok. I suppose we were expecting to be right in the centre however thesis sea front with shops is only a ten - 15 min walk however if you have walking aids or difficulties climbing the hill wouldn't be good and it would be worth getting a taxi ride into the centre. We enjoyed the walk into the town there is a few shops and as you would imagine lots of amusement arcades.
Rooms: our room was excellent we had one of the front rooms with a sea view the room was a lot bigger than we expected, it was clean and upon arrival we we were greeted with a bottle of wine which we both thought was a lovely touch. If we were to return we would definitely ask for one of the front rooms again it met all of our expectations.
Spa: the hotel offers a small indoor pool, a sauna and in he corner of one of the pools there is a jacuzzi bath. I think that the jacuzzi should be separate to the pool however it was great all the same. The whole area is clean and was great to relax. There was a relaxing indoor room that you could use after treatments we used the room to relax in.
Food: the food was good we got an offer that included a two course meal per person however I'm quite a fussy eater and I didn't get anything from this menu however the lady said we could pay half price for something off the main menu which we were more than happy to do. There wasn't much choice on the menu I thought there would have been pasta dishes however we enjoyed it.
Our overall experience at the hotel was great we really enjoyed ourselves and we would Definitely return.

• Stayed February 2014