“Incorrect information given resulted disappointed spa day”
Review of Ambassador Hotel

Ambassador Hotel
Ranked #24 of 28 Hotels in Scarborough
Stockton-on-Tees, United Kingdom
“Incorrect information given resulted disappointed spa day”
Reviewed 30 April 2014

My husband booked this as a Mother's Day treat for my friend & I as a surprise, a couple of weeks later I found out I was pregnant! My friends husband called the spa & advised them of this. He was told I was to ring & speak to a therapist to find out if treatments were suitable for me. I rang up & spoke to Ashley who assured my that the package I was booked in for is fine at 11 weeks, whilst discussing I did say I would be very disappointed if I travelled that far to be told otherwise! She assured me this wouldn't be the case & I would be able to receive all treatments! I also said that I would cancel if I couldn't have them as I was only coming for the massages as I knew I would only be able to use the pool (which was freezing) in the so called spa!!!

I arrived at the spa at 10:30 got changed into the robes & slippers which were lovely in the tiny unisex changing room where the toilet lock was broken! We then went into the zen garden relaxation room which is also where you eat?!?! Which isn't very relaxing as passers by can see in the big windows with no nets (same in pool area) I filled in the form went for a swim (30 mins swim) came back for afternoon tea & then on for treatment at 1:15 - so I had been there nearly 3 hours & then I get told I couldn't have the treatments Ashley promised (this went on for about 30 mins back & forth) the resolve was I could have a mini manicure & pedicure only & I would be given a full refund! Not that I am a fan of manicures or pedicures I took this as a good will gesture! Nails all smudged any way after leaving them to dry over 40 mins! I think the icing was finally put on the cake when I discovered I was charged for the good will manicure, £34.50 for my spa time (20 mins swim & a sit down in the busy restaurant with beds) after a lengthy discussion with the receptionist & a call back with the manager I got £64.50 back out of my £99 - bare in mind I would of never took the 2 hour return trip out of my family break away with my children if I'd of known I was going for a pretty average afternoon tea with a leisurely 30 mins swim & a bit of nail polish slapped on!!!

I think my point is this spa has poorly trained staff & no set guidelines in place or poor Ashley wouldn't of given me incorrect information & her manager wouldn't of laid blame on her! I do believe it's the managements responsibility to make sure the staff are fully trained & knowledgeable about all areas of they work!!!!

It safe to say I won't be returning!!!!

• Stayed April 2014
3 Thank Louscotch
AmbassadorOpsManager, General Manager at Ambassador Hotel, responded to this review, 2 May 2014
Dear Louscotch,

Thank you for taking the time to review your Spa Day on Trip Advisor, and thank you for choosing the Ambassador Spa Hotel; I am disappointed to hear that you were dissatisfied with your experience.

I am sorry that you were given incorrect information about which treatments were available to you, our policy is not to massage expectant mothers in the first three months of their pregnancy.

I would also like to apologise that you felt that the pool was cold; we maintain the water temperature in our pool at 29 to 30 degrees and I would like to assure you that our records indicate that the water temperature was at this level throughout the day of your visit. In order to maintain the water temperature, the air temperature in the pool hall has to be maintained a couple of degrees higher; this can have the result of the water feeling cool when entering the pool.

I am sorry that the lock on the toilet door had stuck, I am unsure if you reported this on the day but it has since been fixed. I am sorry that our team did not notice the lock was stuck prior to your use of the facilities.

Thank you for your suggestion that we put nets in the relaxation room windows, we welcome all feedback that will help us to improve our facilities. However, the relaxation room window is around 8 feet above street level so I would disagree that the room is likely to be overlooked by passers by and so we do not feel that nets would be necessary.

I am very sorry that you have been left disappointed, when you spoke to my colleague she was under the impression that the matter had been resolved to your satisfaction; I would like to assure you that if you were unhappy with the manner in which your concerns were resolved, I would have welcomed the opportunity to discuss them further in order to rectify the matter to your satisfaction.

Thank you once again for your feedback.

Kind regards,

Kieren Moore
Operations Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (334)
Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 April 2014

This is a great place to stay. This was our third stay here and highlighted all the reasons that we want to keep coming back. The staff are exceptionally friendly and helpful with nothing being too much trouble. This compliments the relaxed feel to the place that the spa facilities and treatments strongly augment.

On our previous visits we stayed in room 208, but this time it was already booked so we stayed in room 108. This still had ample space for two travel cots (in fact with the additional bunk-beds off shoot, the room is probably a bit bigger) but is above the bar so there is more general noise. This is especially true of the bar music which is easily audible within the room (speakers are in the bar's ceiling - or the room's floor!) so if you or other members of your family are light sleepers be aware of this when booking. It didn't bother any of my family though.

A couple of other negative comments about the room:
- it wasn't always possible to get hot water for the bath, and the shower is an overhead you-must-get-your-hair-wet affair which won't suit everyone;
- the room heating is hard to get right and the room can get quite cold due to the large windows that give a wonderful view of the bay and castle.

The bar itself was still just what we wanted. Friendly staff (making us "off menu drinks") good food and a welcoming atmosphere. Oh yeah, and views of the sea. Lovely!

Another hugely enjoyable stay, and as I said, I hope we will be staying their again.

Room Tip: On our previous visits we stayed in room 208, but this time it was already booked so we stayed in ro...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Nottingham, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 April 2014

I visit Scarborough on a regular basis but hadn't stayed in this part of town before as I usually stay at North Parade. My aim was relaxing on my birthday weekend, to have a massage and enjoy some spa facilities while being able to dwell in my favourite UK town.

Negatives to the hotel: My room was ridiculously warm despite the heating being off and the window open to full capacity, affecting my sleep quality. A touch more attention to detail could have been taken to the cleaning in the room i.e. skirting boards, floor corners in the bathroom, and the decor was a touch old/dilapidated. The hotel had a large wedding party staying on the saturday night, so finding a spot during the day/evening to sit and read in quiet was impossible, bar/zen garden/outdoor space/pool were constantly uncomfortably occupied. The price of the massage was nearly the same as what I paid for the room...

Positives to the hotel: Greetings on arrival, thoroughness of the receptionist on parking details/location of facilities/local information, uptodate information on my stay and willingness to help in any way possible. Flexibility of earlier check-in and later check-out with no additional charges, breakfast served to the room without an additional charge, friendliness and smart appearance of staff. I got looked after very well by Amber who did my massage who was very thorough and gave a very professional service. The in-room guides/advice recommended several places to be entertained outside of the hotel, that is how I discovered the Comedy Club at the Spa on Saturday evenings - strongly recommended! The location of the hotel is great for getting to the beach and the shops, there is a cliff lift a few mins walk if you don't fancy the path trek down the hillside. On the morning of my departure, I had a call from reception making sure I was still there as they would be delivering a parcel to my room, the hotel bought me a bottle of wine and a card and Amber had bought me a box of chocolates for my Birthday - I was totally taken aback and was not expecting this at all! Over and above the call of duty as far as customer satisfaction was concerned!

Overall a really nice stay and I wouldn't hesitate in going back or recommending people to stay there. Just check that there won't be a big party staying first if you intend on relaxing.

Room Tip: I stayed in a single room so I can't comment on the double/family rooms, but requesting a sea vi...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
Whitby, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 April 2014 via mobile

Booked a spa and mud treatment for my mother-in-law and myself for Mother's Day. The relaxation room was the same room where people ate, and people were coming and going it was freezing cold and wide open windows to the road, not exactly relaxing. Only 2 changing cubicles , toilet doors didn't lock and very much lack of facilities and very small and cramped. No water to drink available. Very disappointed indeed, will not be returning.

Stayed April 2014
2 Thank Debbie R
AmbassadorOpsManager, General Manager at Ambassador Hotel, responded to this review, 28 April 2014
Dear Debbie R,

Thank you for posting a review of your recent Spa Day at the Ambassador Spa Hotel, I am sorry that your experience fell below the expected standard.

I am sorry that you were not comfortable in the relaxation room; the windows in the relaxation room are not usually opened, perhaps a fellow guest opened them, I do apologise that you felt cold. I am also sorry if the supply of water from the dispenser in the relaxation room was exhausted whilst you were using the room. I would like to assure you that windows would have been closed and water replenished during one of our routine checks of the room, or upon request.

I would also like to apologise that you were unable to lock the door to the toilet in the Spa, the lock had seized and our maintenance team have now fixed this fault. Thank you for bringing this to my attention.

It is always disappointing to find that our facilities have fallen below our guests expectations and we continually strive to make improvements to our offering.

If you would like to contact me directly at the hotel then I would welcome the opportunity to address your concerns and resolve this matter.

Thank you once again for your comments.

Kind regards,

Kieren Moore
Operations Manager

Travellers are raving about these Scarborough hotels

Grantham
Reviewed 25 April 2014

My wife and I came here for our mini honeymoon (minimoon).

We were greeted by Corinne on reception, who was friendly, polite and welcoming. We were upgraded for free to a fantastic room with a seaview balcony. Though the bathroom was a bit on the small side and the balcony needed a clean, we were thrilled with the room, which was clean, comfy and generously sized.

The spa facilities were well maintained, and the bar and restaurant had a nice ambience and good food (though the service in both was a bit lacking at times).

Overall, we were very happy with our stay, and would recommend the hotel, especially to couples looking for a romantic getaway.

1 Thank dyingswansong
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 April 2014

We stayed at the Ambassador Spa over Easter. It was good value and in a great part of town close to the beach and a few minutes walk from the centre. We had a double sea view room which was clean and comfortable. Staff were very helpful and always smiling!
Would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Go for a room with a sea view!
bolton
Reviewed 23 April 2014

Just returned home from a 3nt stay at this hotel . Booked a sea-view room AND what a view all across the bay ! PLUS POINTS Room lovely food great , given free parking disc to park in the streets near hotel , staff very friendly , rooms kept clean , good curtesy tray plenty tea,coffee, biscuits , outside seating in the garden . MINUS points NONE . Look forward to the next stay .