Ambassador Hotel
US$194
  • Breakfast included
Red Lea Hotel(Scarborough)
US$118
Hackness Grange Country House Hotel(Hackness)(Great Value!)
US$131
US$132
US$137
PremierInn.com
1,322 results
All reviewspool and saunaspa facilitieslovely hotelbay windowself servicethe cliffone night staybuffet styleplenty of choicestreet parkingmy muma lovely stayfull englishtown centretea and coffeecooked breakfastsea front
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 20 July 2014

There are't a lot of spa hotels in Scarborough and even less when booking the morning you want to check-in after spending a fab week in the area and wanting to extend.

We paid £109 for a double room with sea view, no breakfast. I would expect breakfast to be included for that money and it would've been nice. We decided against paying £9 each for the continental breakfast or £16 each for the full English, so went to a cafe in the town centre instead and got a fry-up with a cuppa for less than £5 each.

The hotel was lovely; room and view (air con would be handy and window that fully opened would've been nice) and the spa; massage and quiet room. The rooftop zen garden is cute, as is the pool although the heating wasn't working when we were there so it was a tad cold.

A fab stay. Would recommend and would stay again. Next time, please tell the drunk guest not to set the fire alarm off on purpose at 5am.

Highly recommended in the area; the one-hour 8pm sunset boat ride from the harbour, a day trip to Bridlington (don't forget to board the train to take you one end of town to t'other), day trip to Whitby (very cute and picturesque), The Falcon pub, The Grapes, George Michael Greek restaurant (it may be have nothing to do with THE George Michael but is just as tasty!) and Robin Hood Bay. Then there is Pickering and other inland villages to visit. I am sure I could recommend a thousand other lovely places.

It is a beautiful, picturesque part of the country. Just watch out for the numerous seagulls!!!

1  Thank JulesAnon
Reviewed 20 July 2014

The hotel is in a great location, on the south cliff, overlooking the sea.

The room we stayed in was very outdated, and also very very hot. The central heating wasn't turned on (as it is July), but the room remained extremely warm all night, which made sleeping uncomfortable.

Also, there were no tea/coffee-making facilities.

The bathroom was grim - 1970s beige bath, basin and toilet. The electric shower was weak and very unsatisfying, and there was black mould around the bath.

The staff were friendly and helpful.

All in all, for £100 a night (which didn't include breakfast!), I don't feel I would want to recommend this hotel to anybody.

Whilst researching hotels in the area, it occurs to me that what Scarborough needs is a smart, new, boutique hotel (in the Hotel du Vin-style) as all the hotels I found online clearly needed dragging into the 21st century.

Room Tip: Apparently refurbished rooms are available - I can only assume we stayed in an unrefurbished room, which I would suggest you avoid.
1  Thank M_Stoneway
Reviewed 19 July 2014

We wanted a four day break in Scarborough and was looking for accommodation with a sea-view. The Ambassador Spa kept showing up on the usual booking sites and was slightly more expensive than we wanted. But at least - it did offer a sea view.
We decided to go the extra cash and book a room there. In the end we weren't disappointed.
A lot of positives about this place - depending on what you're looking for.
It is not in the centre of Scarborough but a fair walking distance, good if you want some peace and quiet, and don't mind a five minute drive or a fifteen minute stroll. It does have sea views, obviously some rooms will have better outlook to the sea than others and I dare say there may be rooms with no sea view at all, (I didn't check if they have rooms that don't look out to the sea).
Step outside and you are right next to the cliff gardens, lots of steps and ramps but a peaceful quiet walk with various garden areas to look at, good if you're into gardening.
The room we had was spacious, clean, reasonably well furnished, comfortable bed and decent bathroom. As you would expect, everything that should work - worked! Although showing some age and usage, everything was in good condition, certainly NO signs of neglect of cleaning and maintenance. The room was spotless when we arrived and was cleaned daily. The claim of a sea view was a bit tenuous as the bay window looked onto the street but looking to the side - we could see the sea!
There are various "room and board" options so it is always worth checking what is available.
The staff were really kind, friendly and helpful. Another major plus for this place - the parking. It is on-street parking but with a Hotel Pass, it is almost unlimited within the area. We left the car outside and walked everywhere, and Scarborough is a lovely place to walk around.
They claim a spa. It is quite small. There is nothing wrong with it, everything that should be there is there, but it's small. Bear in mind, the original design of this building would never have accommodated a spa, they have had to convert a part of the building. Don't expect something the size of the purpose built spas in modern hotels. Having said that, we were more than happy with it. A much more friendly atmosphere, more relaxing.
They also have various health and beauty programmes, we booked one and were not disappointed.
All in all, apart from this not being a large hotel, there is nothing wrong with it. I would certainly suggest it to some one looking for a pleasant, quiet hotel. Like all old buildings, they have their little quirks, but in some cases that's what makes them that little bit special. If looking to return to Scarborough we would, more than likely, look at this place again.

Room Tip: If you want a room with a sea view - ask for one. There may not be one available - but ask anyway.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Peter F
Reviewed 14 July 2014

My partner and I spent one night at this hotel at the weekend. Its setting is very good. Staff members were invariably friendly and helpful. However having paid over £100 for a double room with en suite, we were amazed by the completely inadequate shower. For this reason we would not return and would not recommend it.

1  Thank Fiona F
Reviewed 13 July 2014

My husband and I celebrated our 26th wedding anniversary and wanted something 'special'. The amount you pay you would expect that.
I was disappointed initially at the size of the double room with sea view, the picture you see is basically the room, sea view is only when sitting by the window.
The window only opened at most 2 inches ( I understand why) but we were so hot, air con is definitely needed.
The Spa facilities sound wonderful, I chose this place for the Jacuzzi in the pool but there were problems and it wasn't working, so very disappointed at this, I felt very let down but was told as it is a complimentary part of your stay then nothing can be done. I would have stayed somewhere a 'lot' cheaper if I had known this . I would now call ahead to somewhere I'm going to check everything is in working order as I'm so upset.
Rooms were clean, and replenished well. Staff perfectly accommodating.
Just feel let down.