“Just average - nothing special”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Ambassador Hotel

Ambassador Hotel
Ranked #24 of 28 Hotels in Scarborough
York, United Kingdom
“Just average - nothing special”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2014

This hotel certainly commands one of the finest views in Scarborough and on that it can't be faulted. The town centre, Spa complex, beach etc are all within relatively short and very pleasant walks. The reception staff are all very friendly and helpful and there's plenty of free parking, either using a guest pass from the hotel or unrestricted parking just up the road.

Sadly, however, the interior is looking tired and jaded and in need of a refurbishment. My room on the top floor was supposed to be a sea view and you could certainly see the sea but, well, it's not the sea view I anticipated since that side of the hotel didn't face the sea. The small room was unsufferably hot from the moment I arrived to the moment I left so I spent a lot of time staying out of it. A window that barely opened didn't help, nor the fact that most of the windows were painted shut. Many niggles could be overlooked on their own but when in a list they simply add to the air of neglect - TV remote covered in sticky tape as a botched repair job (after three days you worked out how to make it work), mean supplies in the tea/coffee facilities tray (two milks per day?), bottom of door stuck with painted over tape, no shelf in shower so you're always scrabbling on the floor for your stuff. Not that there's much shower to stand under, it has to be the poorest pressure I've ever encountered and that includes Eastern Europe. 'Shower over bath' it said on the reservation, well, I couldn't see a bath so I was stuck with the shower. To its credit, the furniture was clearly new, it's just a pity the room hadn't been upgraded before it was put in. The brown thick pile carpet didn't make me think 'luxury', it made me think 'what's in it'. I didn't try the spa facilities though goodness knows, I heard enough about them before I arrived in the form of relentless e-mail spam and phone calls (which I thought was a bit intrusive and cheeky). The meals are very expensive - better to go out. Free WiFi is good.

Overall, an OK stay but I won't be going back. I've stayed in many Scarborough hotels and there are a lot better. Try and get a good deal on the Crown Spa, or stay up the road at Mansion House which is lovely.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Andy W

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (321)
Dumfriesshire
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2014 via mobile

I was treated to a spa break away for my birthday to the ambassador. We paid £210 for 2 night, no breakfast. The double room originally given was terribly disappointing for the cost- poor view, dated & tv didn't work. We were then moved to a deluxe room which was much nicer. Better view, felt like it was much more value for money. Our complaint about the TV was handled very nicely by staff who were very accommodating.
The following morning I was to receive a spa treatment of the month, where I was warned the relaxation could put me to sleep. It was to include a scrub, mask wrap and body massage with moisturiser with scalp massage too. I was also to have a glass of prosecco and use of towels, robes and slippers during the treatment. This cost £45 and is usually to be £89!! The whole experience was awful. The girl who provided the treatment was less than professional- late by 20 mins, rough with a very slap dash manner, she rubbed my head with one hand whilst on her phone with the other during the 'scalp massage' (she presumed I didn't realise this with a manky eye pillow over my eyes!!) and I did not receive my prosecco and robe etc. my birthday treatment was very sadly spoiled.
I cannot fault the location, bar and upgraded rooms but this hotel forces treatments from the spa down your throat from the minute you book - through phone calls, frequent spam emails and menus in the rooms. They cannot provide treatments to the level they are charging and this needs to be reviewed.
I don't think I would return to this hotel for that reason. Scarborough itself has some very beautiful views however and that, I would recommend seeing!

Stayed July 2014
1 Thank Miss_SD89

Travellers are raving about these Scarborough hotels

Glasgow
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2014 via mobile

great location,can be difficult to find a parking space, our room was large, view of a brick wall & beside an air conditioning unit which was very loud when windows open. The heat was unbearable, the bathroom was horrible, peeling paint from the bath panel, no wifi.

Stayed July 2014
4 Thank Witchiepie
Yorkshire, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 July 2014

Haven't stayed in this hotel but it is a lovely location.
Today I went for visit to the Spa and for a massage and facial. It was very relaxing but my massage was the best I have ever had and I have had lots! I have a massage and aromatherapy diploma myself too so I know what to expect. But this was physically therapeutic and totally relaxing. The facial was the best I have ever had too, and I'm 60yrs so I've had a few. I would like to name the girl that did it but wont because of data protection and fear of her being overworked when people read this! Would go again.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Hilary B
York, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2014

Very nice hotel,stayed a few times and can't fault it,lovely location,great facilities.Not tried the spa yet but plan to do on my next visit.Our room was on the front with a fantastic sea view overlooking the Scarborough bay in the distance which at night looks lovely all lit up.Room was very spacious spotlessly clean and very smart so was our en-suite.Nice bar area and always very well staffed,the pool is also an added bonus too.Overall a very good we'll run hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a sea view.
Kent, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2014

There are't a lot of spa hotels in Scarborough and even less when booking the morning you want to check-in after spending a fab week in the area and wanting to extend.

We paid £109 for a double room with sea view, no breakfast. I would expect breakfast to be included for that money and it would've been nice. We decided against paying £9 each for the continental breakfast or £16 each for the full English, so went to a cafe in the town centre instead and got a fry-up with a cuppa for less than £5 each.

The hotel was lovely; room and view (air con would be handy and window that fully opened would've been nice) and the spa; massage and quiet room. The rooftop zen garden is cute, as is the pool although the heating wasn't working when we were there so it was a tad cold.

A fab stay. Would recommend and would stay again. Next time, please tell the drunk guest not to set the fire alarm off on purpose at 5am.

Highly recommended in the area; the one-hour 8pm sunset boat ride from the harbour, a day trip to Bridlington (don't forget to board the train to take you one end of town to t'other), day trip to Whitby (very cute and picturesque), The Falcon pub, The Grapes, George Michael Greek restaurant (it may be have nothing to do with THE George Michael but is just as tasty!) and Robin Hood Bay. Then there is Pickering and other inland villages to visit. I am sure I could recommend a thousand other lovely places.

It is a beautiful, picturesque part of the country. Just watch out for the numerous seagulls!!!

1 Thank JulesAnon
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2014

The hotel is in a great location, on the south cliff, overlooking the sea.

The room we stayed in was very outdated, and also very very hot. The central heating wasn't turned on (as it is July), but the room remained extremely warm all night, which made sleeping uncomfortable.

Also, there were no tea/coffee-making facilities.

The bathroom was grim - 1970s beige bath, basin and toilet. The electric shower was weak and very unsatisfying, and there was black mould around the bath.

The staff were friendly and helpful.

All in all, for £100 a night (which didn't include breakfast!), I don't feel I would want to recommend this hotel to anybody.

Whilst researching hotels in the area, it occurs to me that what Scarborough needs is a smart, new, boutique hotel (in the Hotel du Vin-style) as all the hotels I found online clearly needed dragging into the 21st century.

Room Tip: Apparently refurbished rooms are available - I can only assume we stayed in an unrefurbished room, w...
1 Thank M_Stoneway