“Best Breakfast we have ever had”
Review of Raincliffe Hotel

Raincliffe Hotel
Ranked #17 of 183 Scarborough B&B and Inns
staffordshire
“Best Breakfast we have ever had”
Reviewed 15 April 2012

Booked to stay for 5 nights with my husband and my friend.My friend and myself were attending a confrence at the spa. My friend had a double room as they dont do singles. which she was pleased with. we had room 4 a spacious room with a very big ensuite and a fantastic shower, always plenty hot water and a nice hot towel rail. We have stayed in rooms with very small ensuites before, so this was a nice surprise. Room well decorated and with co-ordinating curtains and bedcovers, soft fluffy towels. Hostess tray had plenty of variety teas, coffee ,hot chocolate and plenty milk. also a bottle of water and biscuits.
Good flat screen tvs postioned well on the wall and could be moved for easy viewing.
Mal and Katherine were perfect hosts and joined us most evenings when we had a drink . Drinks weren't overpriced like most hotels weve stayed in.
well what can I say about the food. Mal is an excellent cook is breakfasts are very big but you can ask for any combination and its freshly cooked. we had the evening meal and portions are very generous and always had 3 or 4 different fresh veg. Mal even asked in a morning if there was anything special anyone wanted cooking for there evening meal.
We went as stangers to The Raincliffe but came away feeling like good friends, we have booked for next years Easter Confrence and cant wait to go back. Nothing was to much trouble for Mal and Katherine.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank nannasuej

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (66)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
Sunderland UK
Reviewed 11 April 2012

Just got back from a 1 night stay at Raincliffe B&B, as normal a very warm welcome, room very clean and comfortable, had a lovely nights sleep.. Katherine & Mal the perfect hosts very friendly breakfast was very nice. I would recomend this to Family, Couples and Solo's you will return again I promise you... we hope to go back in Sept...

Room Tip: The family rooms have 1 double 2x singles so no sharing
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank Dazman1973
Betws Garmon, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 April 2012

As a very seasoned traveller, ex hotel inspector & all round tourist guru, I feel qualified to comment.

Having decided last minute to pop to Scarborough to visit friends up from London, who were staying at the Raincliffe Hotel Valley Road. First appearances can be deceptive, the Raincliffe didn’t look that much different from the hundreds of hotels I have seen or stayed in. But once inside, that’s when you discover the real jewel in Scarboroughs Crown.

Now the Raincliffe isn’t a hotel in the sense of the word, it’s actually a very highly acclaimed guest house. Met and booked in by mine host Malcolm, and given the guided tour by his good lady Katherine, you certainly realised why they have won so many awards and accolades, there is no space left on the walls. You certainly arrive as a guest but you genuinely leave as a friend, a welcome friend.

The hotel certainly aint no chic boutique hotel, it’s a warm friendly chintzy country house style. Emphasis is certainly placed on comfort and value for money. The whole place is spotless, decorated in a dated but stylish fashion that makes you feel right at home. All the rooms are well appointed, classic designs with your syhand Kidd, Laura Ashley and Sanderson décor. All the usual bits and bobs you would expect of a hotel, fluffy towels, abundance of hot water, TV, heating, tea and coffee facilities, (and there not stingy with the coffee, more than enough).

The Raincliffe is certainly what I would class as 4 star, pending!!! Whilst it will never be your La Manour or Savoy, it certainly is what I call a proper decent hotel. The real heart beating behind the hotel is defiantly Kath, who does virtually everything herself, but couple that with her larger than life Ex RAF Husband Malc, you have a winning formula. Other Hotels could take a leaf from there book, nothing is too much trouble for either of them. One thing though, someone should teach Malc about portion control, his breakfast in itself is enough to keep you going all day, all freshly cooked to order, local bacon, sausage and ingredients, it surpasses any breakfast I have eaten at any of the swanky London hotels, in a tastefully decorated dining room, Kath handles every guest with ease, moving from table to table, she remembers every guests name, likes and dislikes and “Captains” the ship effortlessly. And that’s the trick, through hard work and team effort both of them make the running of this 14 bed all ensuite hotel look like a piece of cake. But to the ones of us in the business you can see how much blooming hard work they put into the running of the place. There guest book is full of appreciative comments, not one comment of complaint. Now the million dollar question would I stay there again, DAMMED RIGHT I would, I wouldn’t even consider another hotel in Scarborough, in fact myself and my friends are already planning another short break. Words fail me occasionally, I can’t complement this hotel highly enough, Kath and Malc work ruddy hard, to make it look so easy, and as I said you do arrive as a guest, but certainly leave as a friend, looking forward to returning.

All I can say is we will be back. “Per Ardua ad Astra”

Room Tip: all well appointed rooms, however theres no lift, but they do have a ground floor massive family roo...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank Lancs1963
Reviewed 30 March 2012

Lovely welcome, clean and bright rooms, good location. A short walk to get to South Bay.

• Stayed March 2012
2 Thank Kshjensen
Scunthorpe, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 March 2012

Just had a 2 night stay at the raincliffe, Scarborough. We found all the reviews true. A good welcome once in, and good description of all the basics we neede to know. We had a nice room towards the back of the house (7), very clean and tidy. A good ensuite shower (quite new), TV, and comfortable bed. Breakfast was as good as we had ever had in any Hotel 4/5 star (but cooked fresh), not self service. Central Scarborough is a 10 minute walk. Easy parking outside the hotel (£3 extra to park the full time we were there). Put some expensive chains to shame. Downside; dated decor.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank r0gerj0b
Reviewed 20 March 2012 via mobile

just had a weekend break at the Raincliffe hotel and we were due to have a room on second floor but due my disability we were given room on ground floor witch was a large and very clean room. Mal and Kath are excellent hosts and the meals are delicious and keep you going all day .we would certainly like to go back again.

Stayed March 2012
Aultbea, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 March 2012

"We've just spent a few days holiday down on the Yorkshire coast. Wonderful. So much to do and to see, pubs with good music and quizzes and Man Utd in action, small but perfectly formed hotel close by Scarborough seafront. 'The Raincliffe' is one to visit and visit again. Katherine is the perfect hostess, always with time to chat, nothing too much trouble, unstinted Yorkshire breakfast (for those who need all that), comfortable room with en suite, TV et al. Whilst we were there it didn't even rain on The Raincliffe!"

That's what I've just blogged ( www.bryanislip.com) and I've gone on to tell something of our all too short stay. Three days - not enough - even though we arrived after the 550 mile drive in somewhat less than perfect condition and needed to call the hotel in order to find the place. (It's easy if you just head into North Bay and drive along the seafront until you reach the first big island. Turn right and there it is, just up Valley Road past the geese wandering about by the pond to your right hand side.

I'm not going to go into details here; just to say that whatever five star reviews of Katherine's place that you read on Tripadvisor are good and true! Go there!

Room Tip: Room 9 us a family room and it's great for two in twin beds or two in one kingsize. Saw no other...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple