“trip to seaside”

Northcote Hotel
Northcote Hotel
Ranked #164 of 183 Scarborough B&B and Inns
Reviewed 30 August 2012

this hotel was very good read a few reviews and i thought oh dear but i always leave it to my better judgement we were in a family room double bed with bunk that had double on bottom single on top was adequate for our needs bar was open at nite so that pleased us brakfast at 8.30 fruit juice cereals full breakfast toast and plenty tea or coffee my only gripe was thats its a bit far from town centre overall was very good

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank laineylou65

Reviewed 4 July 2012

Mr friend stayed here whilst going to see John Barrowman at the open air theatre. She booked it because it’s so close to the theatre but then read the reviews afterwards and felt quite worried. I live in Scarborough and decided to meet her there and have a drink before we went to the theatre together. I read the reviews myself and was worried but could not have been more suprised!

I was made very welcome into the hotel by the proprietor, I waited in the front lounge for my friend to come down, very comfortable and clean. When my friend came down the proprietor opened the bar for us and we had a couple of drinks before we went out, friendly and chatty but not over the top, and extremely reasonable bar prices! Before we left I went upstairs with my friend to her room as she wanted to get her brolly (terrible weather!) and her room was lovely! Obviously recently decorated, but tasteful and modern, and spotlessly clean. Much more than I expected especially considering previous reviews. In fact I actually mentioned the reviews to the owner and she said she doesn’t really like to talk about past guests but needless to say they hadn’t left the full story.

I for one would have been very happy to stay there, the bits I saw were clean, modern and comfortable and the owners were friendly and helpful. What more can you ask for? I say give this place a try and make up your own mind!

7  Thank Igpants
Reviewed 19 June 2012

This has to be my worst stay in a hotel ever! A woman greeted us, with grease stained clothes and hair and blood pouring from her open wounded toe! The room had been double booked but still tried charging us for the second room saying it was for extra facilities and water, bearing in mind we did NOT take a shower (wouldnt dream of it Ergh)!. The woman was VERY intimidating shouting at us 'girls' whilst standning in the door way so we could not escape. The rooms were very basic and only half a toilet roll between 7 of us. When we opened the room door on 2 occasions the scary woman was outside spying on us. Would not dream of having breakfast. One good note, the rooms were a good size, provided tea, coffee and extra biscuits.

2  Thank Clare K
Reviewed 19 June 2012

Well where do I start??? On arrival the greasy grubby looking lady welcomed us to inform us our room for a party of 8 had been over booked, only then for her to offer to put 2 mattresses down on the floor, we had to send 1 member of our party over the road to another hotel as there was no room for her in the hotel......

Her manners are appalling, rude and arrogant, I have never been so unwelcomed in a hotel by such a vile woman!!!!!

When leaving the hotel we were told we had to pay for 2 rooms that we hadn't had and also a breakfast we hadn't had and the best laugh was she told us we had to pay for extra water we had used in the room we had all been cramed into and laundry fee's!!!!

DO NOT STAY AT THIS HOTEL!!!!!!!

• Stayed: June 2012
1  Thank Natlj84
Reviewed 18 June 2012

When we arrived at the Hotel the woman answered the door, with flip flops on and blood dripping everywhere from her toe. The woman was dripping in sweat and had huge sweat patches down her t shirt. They had double booked 1 of our rooms as we booked 2 rooms to put 4 people in each. The woman kindly put mattresses on the floor for us and cramped us all in 1 room, Which is illegal and then tried charging us for both rooms and breakfast we did not order of have. The woman was very rude nasty and even started shouting and screaming at us when we questioned the price. This was not the cleanest of places and I STRONGLY recommend that you do not stay there. HOLIDAY FROM HELL!!!

1  Thank CLARE R
Reviewed 17 June 2012

Don't stay here ! It's terrible and they tried charging us for 2 rooms even tho we only had one with everyone crammed in.

• Stayed: June 2012
1  Thank Hqjdzsj
Reviewed 8 November 2011

Greeted and taken to the room, room was not ready as it had 3 single beds instead of the double we booked,this was rectified whilst we went out, toilet and shower room very small, ok for one night, we didn't book breakfast, hospitality was nice, pleeese upgrade and refurb, this has the potential to be a good hotel

• Stayed: July 2011