“Credit where credit is due”
Review of Northcote Hotel

Northcote Hotel
Northcote Hotel
Ranked #164 of 183 Scarborough B&B and Inns
Leeds, England, United Kingdom
“Credit where credit is due”
Reviewed 5 August 2013

We booked a family room for Northcote through laterooms at the last minute and, after reading the reviews on here, I wasn't expecting much; how wrong could I have been. My Wife, Son and I were greeted by a lovely lady who couldn't have been more helpful. She was brilliant with my 4 year old boy and showed us up two our room which was absolutely lovely. The decor was great and the lady explained that if we needed anything then just to shout. She also said she would change the sofa into a bed for my son whilst we were out.
I don't know if these are different owners or whether the owners have made changes from the reviews they got on here but the Northcote was defintely a different place to what had been described. A short walk from all the attractions of the North Bay made it an ideal place to stay whilst keeping our son occupied and we would certainly recommend it.
There were one or two things that made me give the Northcote 4 rather than 5 as a rating 1. The towels provided were far far too small to get dried on and should be replaced with bigger ones and 2. The shower was a little tricky to get right and was only warm enough to go in at a very low pressure. Lastly the curtains could have been a bit heavier in order to keep some of the light out early in the morning. Apart from these things the Northcote was great.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Huddersfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 May 2013

We booked this online the morning of Bank Holiday Monday for that night. Had Room 2 -famiy room for 4 which at £53.50 seems a good deal to me.

Yes, the decor needs attending to, a lick of paint and some finishing off in the en suite, could do with some lined curtains too. However, it was a large light room -tiny en suite though - very comfy bed, nice owners. We opted for light breakfast at £3.95 as we didn't fancy a fry up before going body boarding, very nice granola and fruit compote,cereal, toast and very nice coffee. Just what we needed for a night away to enable us to spend a day in Scarborough and a day in Filey. Good location too, just cut through Peasholm Park and you are on North Bay sea front.
If you want a comfy bed, decent shower, good breakfast, There are tea and coffee trays, hairdryers, iron and ironing boards and even wooden coat hangers in the room - Alex Polizzi would be pleased. Good basic,value for money.

Room Tip: Room 2 great for families.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank turtle2011
Bradford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 August 2012

this hotel was very good read a few reviews and i thought oh dear but i always leave it to my better judgement we were in a family room double bed with bunk that had double on bottom single on top was adequate for our needs bar was open at nite so that pleased us brakfast at 8.30 fruit juice cereals full breakfast toast and plenty tea or coffee my only gripe was thats its a bit far from town centre overall was very good

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank laineylou65
Scarborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 July 2012

Mr friend stayed here whilst going to see John Barrowman at the open air theatre. She booked it because it’s so close to the theatre but then read the reviews afterwards and felt quite worried. I live in Scarborough and decided to meet her there and have a drink before we went to the theatre together. I read the reviews myself and was worried but could not have been more suprised!

I was made very welcome into the hotel by the proprietor, I waited in the front lounge for my friend to come down, very comfortable and clean. When my friend came down the proprietor opened the bar for us and we had a couple of drinks before we went out, friendly and chatty but not over the top, and extremely reasonable bar prices! Before we left I went upstairs with my friend to her room as she wanted to get her brolly (terrible weather!) and her room was lovely! Obviously recently decorated, but tasteful and modern, and spotlessly clean. Much more than I expected especially considering previous reviews. In fact I actually mentioned the reviews to the owner and she said she doesn’t really like to talk about past guests but needless to say they hadn’t left the full story.

I for one would have been very happy to stay there, the bits I saw were clean, modern and comfortable and the owners were friendly and helpful. What more can you ask for? I say give this place a try and make up your own mind!

7 Thank Igpants
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 June 2012

This has to be my worst stay in a hotel ever! A woman greeted us, with grease stained clothes and hair and blood pouring from her open wounded toe! The room had been double booked but still tried charging us for the second room saying it was for extra facilities and water, bearing in mind we did NOT take a shower (wouldnt dream of it Ergh)!. The woman was VERY intimidating shouting at us 'girls' whilst standning in the door way so we could not escape. The rooms were very basic and only half a toilet roll between 7 of us. When we opened the room door on 2 occasions the scary woman was outside spying on us. Would not dream of having breakfast. One good note, the rooms were a good size, provided tea, coffee and extra biscuits.

2 Thank Clare K

Travellers are raving about these Scarborough hotels

Reviewed 19 June 2012

Well where do I start??? On arrival the greasy grubby looking lady welcomed us to inform us our room for a party of 8 had been over booked, only then for her to offer to put 2 mattresses down on the floor, we had to send 1 member of our party over the road to another hotel as there was no room for her in the hotel......

Her manners are appalling, rude and arrogant, I have never been so unwelcomed in a hotel by such a vile woman!!!!!

When leaving the hotel we were told we had to pay for 2 rooms that we hadn't had and also a breakfast we hadn't had and the best laugh was she told us we had to pay for extra water we had used in the room we had all been cramed into and laundry fee's!!!!

DO NOT STAY AT THIS HOTEL!!!!!!!

• Stayed June 2012
1 Thank Natlj84
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 June 2012

When we arrived at the Hotel the woman answered the door, with flip flops on and blood dripping everywhere from her toe. The woman was dripping in sweat and had huge sweat patches down her t shirt. They had double booked 1 of our rooms as we booked 2 rooms to put 4 people in each. The woman kindly put mattresses on the floor for us and cramped us all in 1 room, Which is illegal and then tried charging us for both rooms and breakfast we did not order of have. The woman was very rude nasty and even started shouting and screaming at us when we questioned the price. This was not the cleanest of places and I STRONGLY recommend that you do not stay there. HOLIDAY FROM HELL!!!

1 Thank CLARE R